1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

We the people ... Another first bike question

Hi evebody,
    New to this forum... and to this sport. I'm looking for my first hardtail bike. I was thinking about the Trek 6000.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6000/

I can also have some pretty good prices on Marin bikes; at least 10% off. Do they have a bike , equal or better, in the same price range (or for about 10% more)? I have seen some good comments about Marin bikes but can't find any comparison between the Trek 6000 and any Marin.

I know you will probably tell me to try them before making a choice, but shopping where I can have these good prices, and not buying there, is a little touchy. Family thing...
    So, is there any good deal I can make?

Thanks.
    Last edited by gfos; 06-30-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Do not know if you have wrench skills, but if you are not opposed to mail order and minor assembly / tuning take a look at the Ibex Bikes. If you are paying MSRP for the 6000 the Ibex offers a little more fork for less money, and maybe a slightly overall better deal all around. (components on each are more or less a give and take - but better fork on the Ibex)

Trophy Comp X7

Or for less money .... the Alpine Series

Ibex Bikes are in no way Slouches.

MTBR Member
    I would also throw the Ironhorse in there...similar to the Ibex as far as value goes but like mrm said if you dont have the wrench experience you are better off to get it from a local shop. I am not sure where you live but if there is a Performance Bicycle nearby they have some great deals on the Iron horses right now. But most importantly is the fit...I like the gary fishers myself and if you are kind of lenky (not sure of the spelling but you get the idea) they also offer some great components for the price and solid frames. good luck with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for your answers.

mrm, I prefer to buy at my not-so-local bike store. I live in Quebec, so the shipping would be way too high to still call it a good price on Ibex. Beside, I saw a 6000 for CAN$ 820.00 at another not-so-but-a-little-more-local bike store (I think MSRP is CAN$ 850.00).

And what about Marin. Nobody mentioned it, but I can have real good deals on them. I came across these three:
    http://www.mountainbikebuyersguide.n...type=mtn_bikes

MSRP (CAN$) are higher than on this site, so I would guess something between.

And tell me if I'm wrong, but as I can understand, I'm looking for better components rather than a better frame (in that price range). If that's so, where can I get some good info. I know if I talk to a seller, I will forget everything as soon as walk out the store.

Thanks again.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gfos

And tell me if I'm wrong, but as I can understand, I'm looking for better components rather than a better frame (in that price range).
    Honestly, i'd go for frame quality for two reasons:

1. In my experience fairly decent components work well enough for the everyday rider. None of my bikes have anything better than Deore LX (from '96 mind you) and i'm riding 18-yr-old Suntour mid-grade components on another. I haven't had any problems and everything works great. People often get too hung up on the components thinking they need something nicer when that's just not the case.

2. You can always upgrade if needed. A bad frame, however, is always bad.

It's like having the choice between a Honda Civic with a body kit and nice wheels or an entry-level and stock Lexus. Perhaps the Civic looks blingy but it's still a Civic. The Lexus, on the other hand, might not look as flashy but it's a better car and can be modified to look way cooler later. It's not the best analogy but I think the point is made...

Make any sense?

But you're right, at that price the frames will be nicer.
    Last edited by Slimpee; 07-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Trek 6000 is a great ride and choice. I always enjoyed this bike from Trek, one of my favorites. As an alternative, look at the Giant Yukon or Forge Sawback 5xx. The Forge Sawback 5xx is an awesome deal! Great specs / frame for the money. Plenty is written on the Forge....

Zero Miles from Myself
    I like the Marin Suspension Bikes - that is what I ride (click my profile). Cannot speak to the HT's, but I am sure they are decent rigs.

I would read the reviews here on MTB. Not just for the bike you are interested in, but also for each key component on the bike too. This will help you in your comparisons.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviewscrx.aspx

The Trek 6000 you mention at the top has 12 reviewers giving it a 3.8 out of 5. So not the best, but not bad. I usually pour over those reviews trying to weed out total newbies and bad bloods. You can sometimes tell.

The 3 Marins you list have similar to slightly better reviews .... BUT we far fewer reviewers.

MTBR Member
    Yeah, you definitely want to look for a quality frame first off. The thing is not only the big companies make solid frames anymore.