1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Another clipless question thread... product picking!

Yo everyone,

I recently asked about clipless on these forums and did some research of my own. Figure I'm gonna go for it. I have this stuff picked out.

For shoes -

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...b+Shoe+07.aspx

Question about shoes- How accurate are the sizings for this company? Im right around a nine so I was figuring I'd go for the size 43.

For pedals-

I was gonna go with either
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Pedals+10.aspx

or

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+C+Pedals.aspx

OR!!!!!!

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+1+Pedals.aspx

Ive read mixed reviews on crank bros but I'd figure id give them a try. What do you guys think? Anyone ever try the smarty X pedals? Im not sure at this point whether I want the dual platform/clipless pedal (Mallet) or straight clipless. I do know I want to go clipless especially for hills, but there are also some situations where I would certainly feel more comfortable with platforms, so those seem like a good fit.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Shoes are tough. Most people like to buy those at a LBS or online from somewhere that excepts returns. You can try on tons of different shoes before finding that right pair that fits perfect. Make sure they take returns before ordering them.

Pedals, maybe I'm old fashioned but I refuse to ride a pedal called "candy". I do, however, ride the eggbeaters and they are O.K. but not my favorite. The Mallet pedals are good for AM use or some sort of dirt jumping with the big platforms. Simple Shimano pedals are great for beginners as they are pretty easy to clip and un-clip out of. Time pedals are probably the easiest and my favorite but they weigh quite a bit.

Hope that confuses you even more about making a decision!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    get the shoes at your local lbs so you can try them on and you get the right size cuz different brands comes with different sizes. I have the CB Smarty and since their my first clipless i can't tell the difference with other but i can say this that they work great for me not to mention they were only 30 bucks.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    My first clipless pedals are eggbeater SL's on both my mountain and road bike....no complaints whatsoever!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Everyone I know who rides Crank Brothers goes through them really fast. This year, they've got new ones that will (theoretically) be better. We'll see.

I've been on Time ATACs for almost as long as I've been mountain biking (ten years, on and off.) I think they rock. I especially like the cheap ones - the Aliums. No moving parts to destroy, and a really strong body.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ^ same Time's I've been using for 10 years. Heavy but they work well.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I finally killed my Aliums this year. I'd say they gave me quite a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx