1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Another "is this bike worth it?" Thread!

Hiya guys,

so I have the opportunity to get what seems to be a 2000-2001 specialized enduro fsr pro for about $100. It needs brake work and most likely a tune-up from an lbs. it has a fox coil over in the rear and manitou forks. I think it is a large frame. Brakes are the rim style, not disk. And that's about all I know. The person selling it doesn't really know about bikes and wants it gone. Any help and advise is appreciated. Just trying to get into this sport and have fun on a budget, so go easy

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, if it's an FSR Pro it should have XT/XTR level components on it which means the parts alone are worth way more than $100. The main potential downside to purchasing any full suspension bike is you may have to spend a chunk of change having the shocks overhauled to get it in mint condition again. You say you "think it is a large frame". Well, don't buy it unless you actually fit on a large frame. That would make it a terrible decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG57 View Post
    Hiya guys,

so I have the opportunity to get what seems to be a 2000-2001 specialized enduro fsr pro for about $100. It needs brake work and most likely a tune-up from an lbs. it has a fox coil over in the rear and manitou forks. I think it is a large frame. Brakes are the rim style, not disk. And that's about all I know. The person selling it doesn't really know about bikes and wants it gone. Any help and advise is appreciated. Just trying to get into this sport and have fun on a budget, so go easy
    Very, very common for the chainstays to crack on older FSRs - look closely at them where they are joined near the bottom bracket for hairline cracks. They used to hand out replacements like candy under warrantee, but I'm betting you'll have a tougher time finding one now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm 5'11" 180lbs. I think that puts me on the edge of med/lg frame. Would it be hard to find a chainstay at all, or just a stock one?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    If it doesn't fit right - even a FREE bike is not worth it. That said - buy it if the bike fits and needs a basic tune-up, which will most likely cost you close to $150. Get it done right; have them replace all the old brake pads...even if they show minimal wear. You just never know how long those have been hanging up in a garage, and dry-rotting rubber can prove catastrophic, out on the trail.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Another "is this bike worth it?" Thread!

Are you sure that bike isn't stolen? At that price, it seems kind of too good to be true. :/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It was donated to a non-profit. That's who's selling it. I'm pretty sure it's not stolen.

Fat-tired Roadie
    $150 is not too good to be true on something that age.

FS makes things a bit more complicated. Technology has come along in the last twelve years. And sourcing suspension parts can be difficult when everything's a bit older.

If it was a hardtail, I'd say "goes, stops and shifts" is worth $100. Since it's FS and it sounds like it needs work... I think I'd pass unless I had a good idea of how much work, exactly.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Demon Cleaner

Another "is this bike worth it?" Thread!

Those frames used bushings and not bearings. Be sure to check out all the pivots for squeaking and play. You can probably rebuild it still, but it's one more thing to add to the list. If you are handy, you should be able to do it yourself.

I think the price is about right.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hate it when people give me good advise that I don't want to hear! Anyway, if it makes any difference, it has shimano xtr brakes and stuff on it. I'll just put up the link. I hope no one sees this and tries to out-bid me on it though...that would suck.

Specialized FSR Enduro Pro Lightweight Enhanced Aluminum Mountain Bike | eBay

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I hate it when people give me good advise that I don't want to hear! Anyway, if it makes any difference, it has shimano xtr brakes and stuff on it. I'll just put up the link. I hope no one sees this and tries to out-bid me on it though...that would suck.

No worries. Even though I have the money for it - bringing it back up "to snuff" is simply not worth the added cost. Good luck, bidding!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I didn't do it

It looks like its local pick up only so presumably you're in the Seattle area and it won't be an issue.

mtbr member
    I'd do it, but then again I am a moron.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm close-ish to Seattle. And...
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajaguars View Post
    I'd do it, but then again I am a moron.
    ...that's the answer I like more