1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Wink Another "which bike" thread....opinions please.

Just signed up, looks like a great site. I've just recently gotten back into biking and its time for something new.

I typically over-research every single thing I buy, I'm looking at replacing my 18 year old Giant MTB with something newer. I mainly ride 90% crappy streets and bumpy sidewalks but I would like to start doing some singletrack stuff. I have a few things I want such as 26" wheels, hydraulic disc, front suspension with lockout and decent shifting. I have it narrowed down to 3 choices, the Trek 4900, the Haro Flightline Comp and the Specialized Rockhopper. The Trek and Haro seem to have similar components and features while the Rockhopper seems to be a "step down" from the other two. I know all 3 make nice bikes but I'm looking for opinions, mainly on the Haro and the SPecialized as I know everyone likes Trek.

Here's the bikes:

Haro Bikes - Flightline - Flightline Comp

Specialized Bicycle Components

4900 Disc - Trek Bicycle

If I decided on a manual lockout I would be looking at the Haro Flightline Trail, the Specialized Rockhopper (same) or the Trek 4300.

Haro Bikes - Flightline - Flightline Trail

4300 Disc - Trek Bicycle

What are your thoughts on all this? Thanks--Dan

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No opinions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Okay here we go. Assuming the ride feels are all equal "Unlikely"

I would go with the Haro Comp.

The 400 gives you significantly better components.

Why no on the 29er? Personally If i was dropping this kind of money I wouldn't pick any of these bikes...

Also I notice that you ride 90 Pavement. Does that mean you lock it up and go into places? If so keep your 16 year old bike. You will kick your own ass if you drop a grand and someone cuts your lock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Everything Ive heard is I will not like a 29er for my style of riding, with the city rides and singletrack. I have yet to try one for myself and see.

I want to get something newer. My Giant has served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. I'm not concerned with theft, that is what locks and insurance is for.

Picture Unrelated
    I'm going to write a bot for this advice so that any time a "what bike" thread pops up it posts this:

Ride them all, buy the one you like the most.

They are all roughly equivalent and none of them stand out positively or negatively enough to make it worth ignoring if you like one better than the others. The more you spend, the better your parts will work for longer. That's the difference between, for example, the 4300 and the 4900 up there. But each manufacturer's bikes will fit differently and should feel different when you're on them.

Choose the one you like the most and you won't have to justify your decision to a bunch of faceless internet people who will sit behind their keyboards and tell you to buy whatever they have or whatever their friend has because very few people have actually ridden all of those bikes to compare them. It doesn't matter what bike you're on, it only matters that you're on a bike. We all get caught up in bike snobbery so you'll probably get some suggestions like "well if you're looking at the 4900, you should check out the Fuel EX9, it's only a couple thousand more and it's way better!" but try not to let you get too distracted. It's also important to remember to save some dollars for things like helmet, gloves, bike shorts, trail tools, and a bike rack if you need them.

Now, if you have specific questions about the bikes the internet is pretty reliable at answering those for you. Things like "what is better between the Suntour and Rock Shox forks?" are great fodder for internet discussions.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    MustangDan - If someone told you 29ers aren't good for singletrack, that's total BS. There are strengths and weaknesses for different wheels sizes (many of which primarily exist in the heads of supporter/detractors, IMO). Personally, I like 29ers and ride 80-90% singletrack. It's fine if you just don't WANT a 29er... not everyone does... but please don't go along with absurd excuses!

Otherwise... what zebrahum said. Oh, and also what austanian said about riding expensive MTB's in the city. Keep your 18yo bike for city riding, and get a new mountain bike that fits the type of off-road stuff you want to do. Riding a $1k+ MTB on city sidewalks is like buying a $4k gaming computer so you can check hotmail and play minesweeper.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangDan74 View Post
    Everything Ive heard is I will not like a 29er for my style of riding, with the city rides and singletrack. I have yet to try one for myself and see.

I want to get something newer. My Giant has served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. I'm not concerned with theft, that is what locks and insurance is for.
    Just be aware that locks are all an illusion. They keep the honest people from stealing. Angle Grinders are cheap and will likely cut through your lock in 30 seconds or less.

Also bike insurance is a scam. First you have to verify that it was properly locked up, then you have to pay deductible, and then they will give you actual cash value. Depreciation is insane on bikes with in 3 years your 1500 dollar bike will usually have an actual cash value of about 300 dollars.

2 bikes

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd go with the Spec RH. A really nice, light frame that gives you plenty of room to upgrade the components...whereas the others might be a bit heavier (you'll notice this later on).

I have an '11 RH...and think it's great
    Has BB7's, though...which have been said to be better than the Tektros. An upgrade I did, though you seem set on hydros.