1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Another "Which Bike should I get"

Use to ride 10-15 years ago a good bit, and before that rode freestyle trick bikes.. so would like something that I can trail ride on, and maybe jump on some.

I don't want to find a used one, you never know what kind of abuse someone has put it through for the fork to fail or something.

Wanted to stay in the 500ish price range. Kinda wanted a 27.5, figured it would fall into the best of both worlds, but doesn't seem to be any out yet. (or not many, and they are pricey)

Bought the Northrock XC29 @ costco for $500, but plan on taking it back
    Northrock XC29
    Key features

• Aluminum lightweight frame for stiffness and durability
    • WTB Rocket V high performance saddle with contoured pad for increased power output
    • SRAM X4 shifters for quick shifting performance and reliability
    • WTB grips offer comfort, absorption and control in rough conditions
    • AVID BB5 disc brakes deliver ultimate control in any weather condition along with durability and dependability
    • SR Suntour XCT 29 front suspension, preload 100mm to tackle unpredictable terrain
    • WTB 29x2.2 Wolverine fast-rolling tires designed to cut through riding conditions with ease and confidently go from steep climbs to rocky descents
    • WTB SX17 double wall rims are lightweight yet strong to handle unpredictable terrains
    • SRAM Truvativ E400 crank is designed for high performance shifting and maximum durability
    • SRAM X4 drivetrain with 24 speeds allow you to effortlessly tackle any terrain with reliability and performance
    • KMC lightweight chain for superior strength and durability
    • Rustproof clear-coat finish for a lasting luster

Now I see @ Amazon the Diamondback 2013 Overdrive Sport 29'er

BIKE SPECS

Sizes 16" Small 18" Medium 20" Large 22" XLarge
    Frame Overdrive 29" Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ Formed Top / Down Tube, machined headtube, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger, disc only
    Fork SR Suntour XCR-LO 29 100mm travel, 30mm stanchions
    Rear Shock N/A
    Cranks SRAM S600 w/ replaceable rings, 42/32/22t
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    F. Derailleur Shimano Acera dual pull, top swing 34.9
    R. Derailleur Shimano Acera 8spd
    Shifter Shimano SL-M310 8spd Rapidfire
    Brake Levers Shimano BR-M395 Hydraulic
    Brakes Shimano BR-M395 Hydraulic Disc w/180mm frt / 160mm rear Rotors
    Cassette SRAM PG-820 8spd Cassette (11-32t)
    Rims 32h Weinmann SL-7 Doublewall
    Tires WTB Wolverine Comp 29x2.2
    Pedals Wellgo Alloy forged, CNC MTB
    Handlebar DB Lazer Series 31.8mm low rise
    Stem DB AL6061 Ahead 7° 31.8mm
    Seatpost DB Lazer Series Micro Adjust 30.9mm
    Seat DB Race saddle
    Headset Integrated FSA Drop-in ACB upper, Zero Stack lower internal cup and cartridge bearing, 1 1/8"
    Colors Matte Blue
    Chain KMC-Z82
    Hubset (F) 32h SL-7 Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount (R) 32h SL-7 Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount
    Spokes Black 14g Stainless Steel
    Grips DB4L 135mm Kraton
    Extras DB Key Chain, Owner’s manual, H20 bottle mounts, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, 3 extra inches of wheel diameter!

Basically same price I paid for the NorthRock. Either I am going to grab the X6 Northrock 26" (379 and just ride it until it falls apart) or order that Diamondback. Anyone have suggestions? Diamondback looks to have a much upgraded fork over the Northrock and upgraded parts over it, more equivalent to an $800-1000ish Trek right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Guess I was also considering the Airborne Guardian 2.0. Just that the Guardian will end up costing about $200.00 more than the Diamondback after shipping and all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Would it be better to spend more on the
    SR Suntour XCR-LO 29 100mm travel, 30mm stanchions
    vs
    SR Suntour XCT 29 front suspension, preload 100mm to tackle unpredictable terrain

And get
    Shimano Acera
    vs
    SRAM x4.

From research the x4s are a bit better, but the other fork is better.. decisions decisions...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fuji Tahoe 29 3.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It's waaaay nicer than either of the bikes you have there. And if you are buying online anyway?? Spend the extra couple hundred and get a real mountain bike.

I think performancebikes.com also has the same bike. That is what I would buy if I needed another nice aluminum hardtail right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks like a great bike.. but I just keep $100 more ing myself to death.. when the Wife divorces me can I move in with you?

I had kinda set my top end originally @ 500.. then I went to the Airborne and thats basically 670....

Going to go try out a 27.5 Giant in an hour or so.... see if I like that wheel size more than the 29s.

Think I am having my midlife crisis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Dude.. Spend the extra couple hundred and get 5x the bike. I'm probably more poor than you are right now, but you only live once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by dlang View Post
    Would it be better to spend more on the
    SR Suntour XCR-LO 29 100mm travel, 30mm stanchions
    vs
    SR Suntour XCT 29 front suspension, preload 100mm to tackle unpredictable terrain

And get
    Shimano Acera
    vs
    SRAM x4.

From research the x4s are a bit better, but the other fork is better.. decisions decisions...

I have a be a diamond sport that I got from performance bike.
    very happy with it and a few other far more exp riders like the way it's specked out for the money 650.

if possible test ride a bit and be sure off a good fit. If u order a bike online be sure to let a bike shop wrench assemble it for u and ck it out.

good luck

Yes, that's fonetic
    In future posts, it's not necessary to include the marketing BS from the manufacturers, i.e. "to tackle unpredictable terrain".
    Wait a while and save if you have to, but the bike you're going to get for $1000ish is WAY more than twice the bike you'd get for $500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    And btw, the Diamond back overdrive is a "real mountain bike," I did not mean to imply it wasn't. I was actually looking at a higher end version of one myself. But around your price range, I would take a serious look at what I posted. I like Overdrives too, however.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I admit the Fuji is a much better equipped bike.. I just don't know if I want to spend that much on a bike.

A $1000 bike is >2x as good as a $500, but considering when I started this expedition, I was thinking of just grabbing a $250 one (Threw out an old Mongoose dual suspension from 1994, probably paid $200 for it back then, because it needed some major upgrades, fork, derailleurs etc to be rideable) so going to the $500 was already kinda stretching the patience of my wife who wonders why I can't buy a $200 and be happy, she sees $100 at the stores.

Reminds me I have kids and that they have to eat... I mean, they can go hungry for a bit right?

Also I think if I spent that much and then got it muddy and/or wrecked it.. I would just cry. Have a decent Trek 1.2 road bike in the garage that I get to ride off and on, and just wanted to try to get something similar quality wise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    In future posts, it's not necessary to include the marketing BS from the manufacturers, i.e. "to tackle unpredictable terrain".
    Wait a while and save if you have to, but the bike you're going to get for $1000ish is WAY more than twice the bike you'd get for $500.
    Yeah that was just copy and paste.. grabbed the whole line ;-)

mtbr member
    Honestly, the diamondback is not better overall than the northrock.

XCT and XCR are both low level forks and I would be amazingly surprised if you can feel a difference.

If you budget is limited why not check out Craigslist. New bikes depreciate extremely fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    On a side note, I just noticed on the Diamondback specs
    Extras DB Key Chain, Owner’s manual, H20 bottle mounts, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, 3 extra inches of wheel diameter!

WOOT key chain.. and 3 extra inches of wheel diameter.. so that must really be a 32" wheel then!!!

mtbr member
    If you end up wanting to upgrade down the road, you wont lose much money on a used bike. Not sure your size, but here are a few lightly used in your area...
    2013 Trek Marlin 21" 29er
    2013 Trek Wahoo
    I would go for this X-Cal
    Gary Fisher XCaliber

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So you think the Northrock may even be a bit better spec'd than that Diamondback?

If those forks are actually similar.. may just keep the Northrock. I was just going off some Hierarchy I had seen of forks, where it looked like the XCR was several tiers over the XCT. Without a good comparison point for me to base it on, seemed as though it was a significant upgrade, which it may not really be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    If you end up wanting to upgrade down the road, you wont lose much money on a used bike. Not sure your size, but here are a few lightly used in your area...
    2013 Trek Marlin 21" 29er
    2013 Trek Wahoo
    I would go for this X-Cal
    Gary Fisher XCaliber
    Well that is Madison alright.. but Wisconsin.. and not Alabama.
    huntsville / decatur bicycles classifieds - craigslist

Thats the one for my area.. Haven't really seen anything super tempting. I fall into the medium 17-18 category.

mtbr member
    So you think the Northrock may even be a bit better spec'd than that Diamondback?

If those forks are actually similar.. may just keep the Northrock. I was just going off some Hierarchy I had seen of forks, where it looked like the XCR was several tiers over the XCT. Without a good comparison point for me to base it on, seemed as though it was a significant upgrade, which it may not really be.
    Think $100 fork vs $120 fork.

mtbr member
    Well that is Madison alright.. but Wisconsin.. and not Alabama.
    huntsville / decatur bicycles classifieds - craigslist

Thats the one for my area.. Haven't really seen anything super tempting. I fall into the medium 17-18 category.
    My bad... Not much in your area at all...
    Scott scale comp 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah what I had noticed too. Thanks for the input.

May just keep this Northrock and ride it a bit, Costco has a great return policy, so can give me some time to really decide.

Yes, that's fonetic
    .... I think if I spent that much and then got it muddy and/or wrecked it.. I would just cry. ....
    Maybe you're looking at getting into the wrong sport...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So completely ignore my previous posts.. I went and road a Giant 27.5. I do like the 27.5 better personally than the 29".. 29" just feel too big and tankish.

700 bucks for Talon 27.5 4 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Shifters Shimano Acera
    Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Brakes Tektro HDC300, hydraulic disc, 160mm
    Brake Levers Tektro HDC300
    Cassette Shimano HG20 11x34, 9-speed
    Chain KMC X9
    Crankset FSA Dynadrive, 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket FSA sealed
    Fork SR Suntour XCT MLO, w/lockout, 100mm travel

I liked the bike.. almost bought it on the spot.. but wanted to see what else in 27.5's were around first.. I actually kinda like the SRAM derailleurs more to me.. seem to be higher quality .. but what do I know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any preferences between the Shimano Alivio vs the SRAM 4.

Looking at this Diamondback too now.
    Diamondback Bicycles - Axis Sport 27.5

8speed though, and I thought I had heard somewhere to try to get a 9 speed at least, since thats a bit newer and will be easier down the road to find parts for ....??

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Guess I was also considering the Airborne Guardian 2.0. Just that the Guardian will end up costing about $200.00 more than the Diamondback after shipping and all.
    The Guardian is definitely worth the extra $200. Go for it, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think I have pretty much talked myself into the
    700 bucks for Talon 27.5 4http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.27.5.4.2014/14783/66103/#specifications

I wasn't a fan of the 29s.. my foot would occasionally hit the front tire on really slow turns.. bothered me..

For some reason I thought that the Talon 4 had something worse than Alivio.. thought it had an Altus Derailleur, but I see it doesn't now. Think I will just buy it tomorrow and ride it until something breaks. Figure the brakes will go first, and I can throw some mechanical discs on there, not a big fan of the thought of the hydraulic.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Don't sell them short, hydro brakes have come a long way. If you're going to go complete bottom end the mechanicals may be a bit easier to dial in, but like the bike, with brakes you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast