1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Another Advice on Which to Buy Thread

First some background. Ok, so in order to get started riding, I had to start cheap, as in walmart mongoose xr75 cheap. It has served its purpose and got me hooked. Time to move to something better and pass this on to my 11 year old.

So I am riding for exercise mainly (have dropped 30 lbs this year so far, looking to shed another 20). I ride mainly greenways here, but want to try some of the more basic trails around the area (again these are mostly one that allow some off greenway riding in the parks, nothing extreme). I ride 3 to 5 days a week depending on work, kids soccer schedule, etc... I am selling off some things and look to be able to raise around $350 to $400 for my next bike purchase. Given my riding habits and budget, some input would be really appreciated.

I am looking at either a bikesdirect.com purchase or going the craigslist route. However CL in my area doesn't have a lot to choose from outside of Huffy and Next and Roadmaster. If I got the bikesdirect route I will be buying from their Shimano Deore - Front Suspension - Better / Sport Level category. From CL I have this knoxville.craigslist.org/bik/3132135829.html - 17" Shimano Specialized Hardrock Bicycle Mountain Bike or this knoxville.craigslist.org/bik/3138953294.html - GT Mountain Bike which I could then put some additional money into fixing up.

So, oh wise mountain bike gurus, please give this Noob some advice. Hoping to make my purchase within the next week.

Sincere thanks to any that respond.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Another possibility, though it leaves me less for any potential repairs that may be needed:
    knoxville.craigslist.org/bik/3163816342.html - Scott Mountain Bike - $250

There are some Treks listed (4300 and 4500) but I am afraid the frames will be a bit to big for me. My inseam as measured for riding is 30" (28" when buying pants) and these are large/19" frames.

The buy with the Specialized Hardrock for $190 is willing to deal but I don't know how much yet.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A new listing for a Specialized Rockhopper 2007 with a 15" frame for $350. Would this be an ok fit? My overall height is 5' 9"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i'd say at 5'9, you're looking at more like an 18 or 19 inch frame. i think 15 may be too small, you'd feel cramped. i ride a 16 and i'm 5'6.. depends on your inseam though as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Inseam using the book in crotch method came out at 30 inches.

Any feedback on the bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i mean, you're looking at anything between 17 and 19 inches. you really have to sit on the bike and see, each bike has a different geo so the frame size will not actually define the top bar measurement.

crash test dummy
    I'm 5'9.5" with a 31" inseam and found a 17.5 that was just right for me, 19" bikes seem a little bit big for me. I'd say look for a 17-18" bike, preferably one with a longer top-tube since you're probably a long-torso body type.
    BikesDirect bikes are usually good bang-for-the-buck. That Hardrock looked a little dated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

i need to get me a new bike

looking for a new bike asap

O.C.C. member
    Your LBS would is a good place to start.They should be able to get you on the right size bike,and maybe they will have something on sale or closeout.Your new LBS bike will also have a warranty and maybe some free servicing down the road.

A C.list bike can be a good deal if it's in good shape,one part needing to be replaced could blow your budget if your not careful though.

I don't think I would feel comfortable ordering something online without being able to see if it fits first.

Good luck!

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by nthnsutton View Post
    looking for a new bike asap
    Excellent post, just brilliant.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the input, unfortunately my budget has been slashed to about $200. Gonna try to find something used that is better than my mongoose xr75.