1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Is this amount of cassette wobble normal?

Hi all, first post from a daily lurker.

I was inspecting everything and about to start cleaning after a very muddy/sandy ride yesterday when I noticed the cassette wobbling.

The bike is a 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0, is all stock (spec wise), and has roughly 515 miles (probably 350 on smooth asphalt and the remainder on singletrack).

Is the amount of wobble in the video below normal?

2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 - Wobbly Cassette - YouTube
    2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 - Stock

mtbr member
    Why not just take it off the free hub, clean it, inspect it, then re install? (You can pick up one of those little freehub cog removal thingy's for about 5 bucks I think).

thread killer
    Yup. That's normal.

Not to say that your hubs are low quality. But higher quality hubs/wheels won't do that because of tighter mecheening tolerances.

Unless you're watching it wobble. You'll never know it's doing it. It won't affect your ride.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

Merendon Junkie
    Totally normal. I will even say it has less wobble than what I see most bikes having.
    Last edited by abelfonseca; 01-12-2014 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok, good deal. It never really has any shifting problems or noise coming from the rear but figured I would ask.

I was going to upgrade the wheelset, fork, and hubs all at once but I decided on upgrading to a FS so I will just ride this thing for another year or so and not throw any unnecessary money at it.

Also I was planning to go ahead and pull the cassette off but shortly after I posted this, I noticed my discs started singing to me again (LBS just fixed calipers & pads) so I dropped it back off with them to warranty the calipers and pads with Shimano, so I told them to look at the cassette too.

Thanks for the replies, I will go one step further and confirm my LBS's findings once they fix er' up.
    2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 - Stock

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF-IDK View Post
    Yup. That's normal.

Not to say that your hubs are low quality. But higher quality hubs/wheels won't do that because of tighter mecheening tolerances.

Unless you're watching it wobble. You'll never know it's doing it. It won't affect your ride.
    My mechanic said play and wobble is normal with lower quality hubs. I wouldn't worry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    My mechanic said play and wobble is normal with lower quality hubs. I wouldn't worry.
    As a former mechanic I concur, low end "Shimano" style hubs (ie bolt on freehub bodies) all wobble a bit. Even XT level Shimano hubs have a bit of wobble, it's just inherent with that design. Doesn't affect function at all.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

'Tis but a scratch
    I hate to disagree with most, but I would probably service that hub. Meaning, take the cassette off, pull the freehub, clean and re-grease and then re-assemble. Special tools are cone wrenches and cassette removal tool. Park tool web-site will walk you through it.

At minimum, I would take the wheel out of the frame and see how much play it has by hand and maybe just tighten things up a bit with cone wrenches. Leaving a sloppy hub to its own devices could result in a nice walk in the woods one day.

My 2 cents.

Merendon Junkie
    If there was play in the cassette than I would agree with huffster. But if there is no play and just the wobble with no effect on shifting performance, then I would not worry about it.