1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: am I retarded?

mtbr member
    May 2006

am I retarded?

I just bought my first new bike in ten years. How do I pump up the tires?
    be kind.

Life is Good
    Well, first you have to find out what kind of valve your tires have. Along the rims there will be a small cylindrical valve with a cap on it. Take the cap off and if it is a schraeder (the kind of valve that is on a car tire) valve, then you can pump it up with any standard floor pump. If it is a presta (its thinner than a schraeder, plus it has a little screw cap on the top that you need to unscrew to let in/out air) then you may need a valve adaptor for your pump (you can get em at your LBS for like 89 cents) unless you have a pump that supports both valves.

For a schraeder, simply push the head of your pump onto the valve, lock the handle on the pump head outwards, and pump. For the presta, unscrew the cap on the valve, install the adaptor onto the end of your pump head (if you have to), and then do the same as you would for a schraeder.

To take the pump off, do everything the same, except backwards.

I hope this is good, it'd be easier with a diagram.

banned
    Apr 2006
    If anything this post should make bikers feel a close kinsmanship to the feelings of riding and getting back into the sport. The joy of learning all the new goodies.

Good luck! Sounds like a presta and it looks like Judd97 has got you covered there with good info.

Here is a proud presta!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you
    I guess I have a presta, It is very small and thin with a little screw on piece at the top. I will run to the Lbs and get the adapter. by the way, how do I find local trails. I'm new to mtbr, and a little confused with the forums, couldn' t find an ohio link. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member

Ohio Link

Here is the Link for OHIO. It was a little hidden with a couple other states. If you live closer to PA we have a lot of people on the PA forum talking about trails in the Pittsburgh area. Hope it helps and welcome to the forums.
    Big Man on a Little Bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks, glad to be here, can't wait to ride.

local trails rider
    Most "small pumps", and maybe big ones too, seem to have a head that you can reverse for use with either schrade or presta. Prestas may take a bit of getting used to...

Life is Good
    Yea, if you have a newer pump, you might wanna double check to make sure its not compatible for both valve types.

If you have a schraeder only, then I would recommend keeping an eye open for one of the newer ones. I found a cheap Specialized pump that is compatible for both for a real bargain at my LBS.

As jminrod said, there are alot of trails and riders out here in PA if you can't find anything in Ohio. But I'm sure there are alot of trails out there too (its just so FLAT)

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not to feel bad, I recently went through the same thing.
    They are tricky little rascals and require some trial and error.
    Last edited by rg32; 05-14-2006 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It took me about an hour to learn how to pump up a presta tube. How embarrasing.