1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Always replace damged/bent rear hangers

You should always replace your rear hanger if it becomes bent or damaged, especially if you are into racing. I have been hearing a few peple lately saying that you can just straighten out damaged hangers, but personally i would advise against that. Due to its structure Aluminum doesn't stand reshaping very well, and will be easier to break if straightened. Breaking a rear hanger in the middle of a ride is not a nice feeling. Last week mine broke in the middle of a race(it got sheared of by a piece of deadfall), bending some of my spokes and destroying the cables to my rear derailleur. In its self it was a pretty small thing and will be easy to fix but it cost me the race as the rules state that you must ride your bike over the finish, which for me was 9km away, and more importantly I lost my second place season finish with my mountain biking club, dropping back to third. There was nothing I could do in this situation, but always make sure your bike is in top shape so unfortunate accidents don't happen to you.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Always replace damged/bent rear hangers

Quote Originally Posted by DarkenedflameX View Post
    You should always replace your rear hanger if it becomes bent or damaged, especially if you are into racing. I have been hearing a few peple lately saying that you can just straighten out damaged hangers, but personally i would advise against that. Due to its structure Aluminum doesn't stand reshaping very well, and will be easier to break if straightened. Breaking a rear hanger in the middle of a ride is not a nice feeling. Last week mine broke in the middle of a race(it got sheared of by a piece of deadfall), bending some of my spokes and destroying the cables to my rear derailleur. In its self it was a pretty small thing and will be easy to fix but it cost me the race as the rules state that you must ride your bike over the finish, which for me was 9km away, and more importantly I lost my second place season finish with my mountain biking club, dropping back to third. There was nothing I could do in this situation, but always make sure your bike is in top shape so unfortunate accidents don't happen to you.
    Yet brand new hangers need to be aligned. They are rarely straight.

A slightly bent hanger can be straightened (some better than others) and be fine. To ALWAYS replace a tweaked hanger is a waste.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would think this depends a lot on the frame... some frames have replaceable hangers, some don't. Some are made out of carbon fibre and don't bend well. Others are made out of steel which bends safely and easily.

turtles make me hot
    I have never bent a hanger...
    It's always a catastrophic failure that forces me to replace the hanger trailside.
    I like turtles

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Yet brand new hangers need to be aligned. They are rarely straight.

A slightly bent hanger can be straightened (some better than others) and be fine. To ALWAYS replace a tweaked hanger is a waste.
    This

Happy Trails

Have you ever used a bent and straightened rear derailleur? Did it explode? Reason I ask is because I have one on my bike for three years that shifts perfectly. I asked LBS wrench if I should get a new one and in classic LBS wrench language he said, "Sure, if you don't trust my work and want to waste money."

Just asking .....

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have never bent a hanger...
    It's always a catastrophic failure that forces me to replace the hanger trailside.
    This...
    I carry a spare hanger with me in my CamelBak.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    I would think this depends a lot on the frame... some frames have replaceable hangers, some don't. Some are made out of carbon fibre and don't bend well. Others are made out of steel which bends safely and easily.
    I have never seen a carbon frame without a replaceable hanger.

Steel and ti frames do not need them. The metal can be bent (rarely happens), straightened and aligned many times with no issues, and replaced by a frame builder if necessary.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

My little friends
    I've bent them, then straightened them out, (on the trail), and had them work fine; other times they caused drivetrain issues. I usually get a new one and install it, then straighten the old one and keep it for a trail spare, until I get around to getting a new spare. I've never had a straightened one break without my causing it to!