1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Alternative to Airborne Goblin?

I bought my first bike (Felt Nine 80) last fall to give mountain biking a try. I loved it and so did the rest of the family (wife and two boys) so we all have either entry level bikes or bought used. No that I feel pretty confident I am going to stick with the sport, I want to upgrade. I put a lot of thought into upgrading my Felt with a new wheelset and fork, but while visiting a few local stores, decided I a larger frame size fit me better. My wife will get my bike and I'm now searching for myself something.

The max I'm willing to spend is $2000, but I'd like to stay well below that. The Airborne Goblin is very tempting, but I have no way to demo one. However, the geometry seems very similar to my Felt and while I don't have anything else to compare it to, it seems to ride fine to me.

My local shops carry Trek, Felt, Giant, Specialized, and Cannonade. What bikes should I be looking at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Scott Scale Pro Carbon 29er MTB | eBay
    This lightly used L Scott has the best geo and carbon with seatstay compliance. Trek has close geo.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    The bad news is, there's no way anyone else can answer that question for you.

The good news is, you have many, many options at that price point and should be able to get one helluva hardtail with a few hundred to spare.