1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Alot of questions, preticulary about maintenence

Hi guys!

My name is Amit, 24 yrs old from Israel .

I started to ride about 3 years ago, started with a ghost stiff tail, moved to Merida one forty 2012, had it a bit upgraded (brakes, seat rod (is this how you call the adjustable rod in english?), and about a montj ago purchased a Rocky mountain slayer-50.

After purchasing it with a brief check of my uncle, I saw that I have some noises when riding the bike.

I checked the noises myself after riding it and noticed there is a bit of free movement in:

1. the fork itself (not in the fox suspension). I think I got a malfunctioning bearing (the thing that upon it the fork is rotating in the tapered part of the frame) (got float 160).

2. the crank, only on one of the sides (raceface evolve).

in addition to that I have not such easy time to press the adjustable seat rod button, which makes me problems to change height during the ride. is it regular on the KS rods? it is mechanic button with steel wire.

I would be happy to get explanation of which parts (the sizes etc) do I need to buy and how should I replace them. checked the web several times with no success finding a guide to that.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    1. It is called a seat post, not a rod.

2. The first thing to check with a noise in the crank is if the lace of your shoe is hitting it. That was my problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    hi bruce, thanks!

the shoe lace does not hit it (I put them inside the shoe when I ride). the sounds I get are when I ride and shake the crank by hand. really hard to hear but it moves inside the hub a bit. so does the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For your crank noise, I would clean and grease the bb bearings.
    For the fork movement and noise I'd loosen the stem bolts that pinch the steerer and tighten the top cap bolt. There is a point where it is too tight to let the wheel fall to one side. Back off from that slightly and tighten the stem bolts.
    If you still get creaking noises or movement hope they go away when you do the headset service. Fox has a history of failures at the fork crown steerer interface. You may need to make a warranty claim.
    For maintenance, I'd remove the top cap, stem and spacers. Remember or take a picture of how everything goes together.
    Remove the fork and grease the headset bearings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Amit, it sounds likely that you probably just need to do a little tightening of and adjustment at the headset and the connection between the bottom bracket and crank arm. I can't help with the seatpost, sorry.

There are a ton of good detailed instructions available on youtube and of course the Park website, among others, on how to properly adjust just about anything. If you're at all comfortable with working on mechanical stuff, you shouldn't have any problem getting your bike squared away. It's a good ideawith a new bike to give it a good thorough going-over and make sure nothing is going to fall off while you're riding - take the time to give every bolt a little twist. You're likely to find a couple more things that could use a little adjustment.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.