1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

All Mountain bike size

On the road and light xc trails, I ride my 19' Rockhopper 29er and its perfect. I'm just about to get a FS mtb for all mountain and was wondering if its better to get a size smaller like a M instead of a L??
    I am 6' and 185lbs.

I tried a medium in the parking lot, but its not the same as rough terrain!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebas69 View Post
    On the road and light xc trails, I ride my 19' Rockhopper 29er and its perfect. I'm just about to get a FS mtb for all mountain and was wondering if its better to get a size smaller like a M instead of a L??
    I am 6' and 185lbs.

I tried a medium in the parking lot, but its not the same as rough terrain!
    Small, Med, and Large designations are pretty meaningless in determining in determining which size to buy. Same thing goes for seat tube length (e.g., 19" frame). You could be a large for one brand/model and an XL on another. I fit a large (19") MKIII and a small (16") Karate Monkey. I am now on a Med (17.5") Marin.

You need to start with the top tube length, as that is the most important single measurement you are likely to find for bikes. I find I ride about the same top tube length for an XC or AM bike, though I am more likely to run a shorter stem on an AM bike.

The best thing to do is find out what size of a specific frame people of your height are riding. Going to the manufacturer board on this site is a good place for that.

Another option is to check out the fit calculator on the Competitive Cyclist site. Just be aware that you need to do the measurements EXACTLY the way they tell you to. Cut any corners and it is way off.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Frame size

I'm getting back into the cycling world after getting my license and stuff from back in the day. I recently went to my local bike shop to look at a specialized big hit fsr 1 they had on sale for liek 1200 bucks. The frame was a large, but they said due to my size, this bike wasnt right for me, and I would need at least a XL. I do stand right at 6'5" and set in about 240lbs. I was looking for a all mountain/free ride style bike. I wont be doing any xc races, I want something to hit some nice dirt jumps and drops. Any input on if the large would be ok, or at my size is the xl really a necessity? What would be the best bike for around 1500?

Thanks,

Gus