1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. All most there !!

Hey every one . Have been doing a lot of reading on here and have found a lot of good info !
    I am on a real cheep HT right now. And ready for a better one.Can you tell a lot of difference in a cheep one and say a $500.00 one. As far as ride is there a difference in gears so on. Just wondering what to expect ?

I am planning on trying out a Giant Yukon next weekend. Witch I could go this weekend. The LBS (two hrs away ) has it in three sizes in store !!
    Do you all think this would be a good trail bike, and I will be riding to work every day. County roads ( dirt , gravel , elct. ) 10 miles round trip. Looks like a good bike for around $500.00. and this would leave a little for tax and some small things .

And one question is any one using a suspension seat post ??
    After 8 or 9 hrs at work would be nice to have some suspension under the back end
    for the ride home . ( can't swing the FS right now )
    Have read several of the reviews on here look like there might be one or two good ones.
    Was just trying to see if anybody on here is using one ??

Any thoughts , info so on would be great.
    Any question I should ask at the LBS ?? Just trying to get it right the first time !!
    Thanks for all the help !!

spec4life???..smh...
    dont know what you mean by a cheaper hardtail than around the 500 mark. If a cheaper one means a 400 dollar one then probaly not that much diffrence, but if by cheaper you mean a walmart bike than oh yeah.

For 500 the giant would be a good bike also look at the base line spec rockhopper.

ONe thing to look at however is this

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-450-Details.html

http://www.target.com/Forge-Sawback-...e=1&rh=&page=1

look at a few of these bikes, look at the componets more than the brand name.

mtbr member
    Yep as in Walmart cheep !! I was just looking at the band that the LBS had and I ask about the Yukon. I will have to see what else they have in store, I just wanted to get one at bike shop to help get me going in the right way ! I hope LOL !!
    Thanks for info !

spec4life???..smh...
    Then definently yes you will tell the diffrence.

I actully made the switch from walmart goose to a spec hardrock and everything is better. Makes the sport much more enjoyable.

I see what you mean it is probably a good idea to have the support of a lbs for introduction into the sport. BTW The yukon will do a great job for entry level xc riding.