mtbr member

It All Came Together Today

7 months ago I was 255#, a smoker, and frustrated with not finding a new sport to replace my long since past football, rugby and softball careers (recreational).

In March I got out my Schwinn Sierra that was collecting dust since 2003 and took it to the local trails. My life has not been the same since.

Fast forward to today.

I pulled into the same local trail system I started on in March, took my NRS3 off my bike rack, adjusted my air pressure, my bb7 brakes and my front and rear shock pressures...Put my 195# butt on my bike and headed to the 12 mile single track.

4 races and 75+ rides since March.

Today it all came together:

Accelerating through turns instead of braking.
    Shifting before hills.
    Pedaling at all times possible.
    Using BOTH brakes.
    Even focused breathing.
    Smooth switchbacks instead of jerky movements.
    Attacking the terrain instead of just trying to survive it.

It was a great day and the best ride of my year. I hope my last race Sunday reflects the hard work I have put in this year.

I know I have a TON more to learn and I am just beginning my journey. It is good to know that I have found a new love in my life and that I am getting better every time I ride.

Winter here in WI is going to be tough. Very tough.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Jul 2011
    That's awesome, congrats! I'm a newbie and hope to eventually jump into a race, so thanks for the inspiration!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You, sir, are an inspiration. I'm 220, down from 237 a few years ago. However, I've stopped losing weight, and I'm sick of it. I just bought a new bike to force myself to work out regularly. I've been a few times this week, and when I can't ride trails, I'm still riding around the neighborhood. I hope to be in your 190 lb weight class soon. Congratulations, man...that is awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    You, sir, are an inspiration. I'm 220, down from 237 a few years ago. However, I've stopped losing weight, and I'm sick of it. I just bought a new bike to force myself to work out regularly. I've been a few times this week, and when I can't ride trails, I'm still riding around the neighborhood. I hope to be in your 190 lb weight class soon. Congratulations, man...that is awesome!
    Thank you!

Stick with it, you WILL lose the weight! Biking is unbelievable at burning calories. Keep us informed on your progress!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Those come-together moments are golden. Nice. And kudos for changing your life in a positive way.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats! Its always inspiring to hear how someone turned their life around. Bikes ate great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That is awesome as I am in a similar situation. I just started commuting to work this week (12 miles each way). Purchased my bike (older cannondale rigid) just last week and now I am itching to get a more suitable off-road bike to hit the trails on.

Professional Speed Bump
    That's awesome! I hope you keep it up.

What part of WI are you in?

They have some great trails up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    7 months ago I was 255#, a smoker, and frustrated with not finding a new sport to replace my long since past football, rugby and softball careers (recreational).

In March I got out my Schwinn Sierra that was collecting dust since 2003 and took it to the local trails. My life has not been the same since.

Fast forward to today.

I pulled into the same local trail system I started on in March, took my NRS3 off my bike rack, adjusted my air pressure, my bb7 brakes and my front and rear shock pressures...Put my 195# butt on my bike and headed to the 12 mile single track.

4 races and 75+ rides since March.

Today it all came together:

Accelerating through turns instead of braking.
    Shifting before hills.
    Pedaling at all times possible.
    Using BOTH brakes.
    Even focused breathing.
    Smooth switchbacks instead of jerky movements.
    Attacking the terrain instead of just trying to survive it.

It was a great day and the best ride of my year. I hope my last race Sunday reflects the hard work I have put in this year.

I know I have a TON more to learn and I am just beginning my journey. It is good to know that I have found a new love in my life and that I am getting better every time I ride.

Winter here in WI is going to be tough. Very tough.
    Damn...I wish I could achieve just one of those things!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon View Post
    That's awesome! I hope you keep it up.

What part of WI are you in?

They have some great trails up there.
    ^^ Green Bay. The trails in Green Bay are nice but not real technical. There are areas in WI with some really nice technical single track though.

WI is very pretty, especially this time of year.

Professional Speed Bump
    If you haven't already, you should hit Kettle Moraine South.

With over 40 miles of singletrack, it's one of the best mountain biking destinations in the Midwest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon View Post
    If you haven't already, you should hit Kettle Moraine South.

With over 40 miles of singletrack, it's one of the best mountain biking destinations in the Midwest.

Good point! Southern Kettles are awesome. So are northern Kettles. But I love John Muir better. I'd be happy to ride with you there Patton. Nothing like burning up 35 miles of trail without seeing any of it more than once. And also Patton, for your winter plans. Get a stationary trainer and keep the legs moving indoors. I know its boring but it will pay off next season. I hope to be down to your weight then too and we shall tear it up my friend.

Once in a while in the winter, we will go out and ride on the frozen lakes. You should stup up the tires on a crappy old bike and join us. Tons o fun man. Good luck this weekend!!