1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Deore or LX crankset

What would you recommend for a new 9 spd crankset? Alivio (is there alivio 9 spd???) Deore or LX? Thanks
    Last edited by Markleo; 05-08-2006 at 03:40 AM.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I'm very pleased with my LX crankset. Deore would work just fine if you don't care about how light it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was told by my LBS that there isn't any difference in crankset for 8/9 speeds. 8/9 is for the rear, and will be compatible with a front that used to work with an 8-spd rear. If your front end is working fine, you should keep them.

Judging from your other posts, you are upgrading your bike from 8 to 9-spd? I have done the same. Originally, I have Acera front and Alivio rear (3x8). I didn't know any better at the time, so wasted money in upgrading the crankset as well. I have swapped all drivetrain components on my bike thinking that they're required for the conversion.

Looking back, here are parts that are not required for 8-spd to 9-spd:
    - crankset (I thought since chains are different, gear tooth are different too -- wrong)
    - front derailer (if crankset needs changing... -- wrong)
    - wheelset (Shimano only listed 8-spd in their Alivio rear hub description)

Nothing wrong with upgrading everything though. For me it's a nice learning experience since I installed everything; but it is a big drain on the wallet. Crankset and wheelset are expensive!

Cheers!

banned
    Sep 2005
    chainreactioncycles.com has some excellent crankset deals, and they are very good to deal with if you're looking for a budget way to upgrade the entire drivetrain.

ride hard take risks
    There is no 9 speed specific crank set. You can replace the sprockets if worn. If you replace the crank arm you might want to replace the BB as well. Deor is fine, work on skilz more important to make the riding more fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I went to the shop and finally I upgraded for an XT chainset.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    I went to the shop and finally I upgraded for an XT chainset.
    Can you shift into all 3 sprockets now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Can you shift into all 3 sprockets now?
    Yes I can, I hope it's worth the upgrade!!! I tried it last night and it was all right! But I need to try it on the trial. I think it should be ok. Thanks.