1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Smile And alas, another noob wondering about a CL deal.

Hey guys,
    So a few days ago a buddy of mine got me to go to some DH/FR trails at a local ski resort. Im hooked, in the last week ive been every day, Im now beginning to see the limits of my bike, as it stands i am using my dads old Barracuda FS bike and after a pretty decent crash i had i've decided i need my own bike to thrash.

I looked around on my local craigslist and came across an 03 Specialized Bighit that i really dig the design of. I looked into them and saw they had alright shocks but could use forks if i got better and wanted to go faster and the brakes were average at best, i also constantly saw people commenting on the weight of these bikes, which doesn't really bother me too much because i also saw people saying they handled like they are lighter due to the fork's angle and i could use the workout. I saw they were tough and pretty much fit my purpose well.

Now the ad said $500 firm, is this a bad deal if the bike is in nice shape, also what should i look for as warning signs and common things that need to be considered as for tuning up? Thanks for any help you can give me.

All the ad says along with a low quality pic is "03 big hit. hayes disc brakes. Medium size frame. fun downhill mountain bike. This is a rare bike to come by. 26x2.5 front tire 24x2.5 rear tire. clicker pedals."

T.W.O.
    It's a pretty rare bike, true that!! Most 03 big hit are all destroyed. Make sure everything is working and intact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    One vote for go for it then? Cool!

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    I'll say, that depending on which model of "Big Hit" it may or may not be worth it for that price.

Find out which model the bike is, then compare on your own.

Bikepedia

BicycleBlueBook

mtbr member
    If it is in pristine condition, maybe spend $500 on a 10 year old big hit. Many of the ones I see for sale are thrashed and can be picked up cheap.

They made lots of models of the big hit so find out what one it is. Maybe post pics or a link to the ad.

Redcoat
    Bike blue book states
    Msrp 880
    Like new 259
    Excellent 247
    Good 222
    Fair 165

Hit them with the link and show them the pricing and how much they are overcharging. It's comical sometimes the prices people ask for. The other day I asked a guy about a price and showed him the blue book value. He came back with "those prices only count for Montana and Alaska" I proceeded to LOL. I asked him what made him come to that conclusion, his reply was "common sense". I lolled again.

Those blue book prices are taken from thousands of Internet transactions and are very trust worthy. Don't take no BS from no one. Simply walk away if too much. Remember also if you can't see damage doesn't mean there isn't weakness in the joints/welds. It is 10 years old after all.

again though find out the exact model.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I'd pass. I am very familiar with that bike, I rode one for 2 seasons. it was a cool 'looking' bike, but it wasn't even that good back in 2003. The 24" rear wheel alone is a good reason to steer clear. Now you've also got old wheels, brakes, cranks, drivetrain, bearings, frame...its not worth getting involved.

If at all possible try to bump your budget up to $1,000 and look at bikes asking $1,250. You can talk down $1,250 to $1,000 and get a darn good bike.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    specialized big hit

Talk Blue Book with a grain of salt. It may have some good info but it also has a lot of bunk info.

Look at it this way. Even if you paid $500 for that bike its sum value is more than $500. In no way shape or form could you collect those parts for $500.
    Sure the bike is 10 years old but with a 4 month riding season it's not like it's seen all that much use.

It would be a cheap way to get into a more agressive bike and see if its something you really want to have in your stable.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    specialized big hit

Talk Blue Book with a grain of salt. It may have some good info but it also has a lot of bunk info.
    Agreed. As they say, 'everything is worth what someone will pay for it.' Everything else is simply guidance.

Look at it this way. Even if you paid $500 for that bike its sum value is more than $500. In no way shape or form could you collect those parts for $500.
    those parts are not worth $500.

Sure the bike is 10 years old but with a 4 month riding season it's not like it's seen all that much use.
    careful with that logic. 2 or 3 seasons is enough for a DH/FR bike to start showing its age. wear and tear can not be approximated by the age or miles ridden. its a whole other ballgame.

It would be a cheap way to get into a more agressive bike and see if its something you really want to have in your stable.
    I've learned sometimes you are doing the right thing, dipping your toe in the water. Usually though, all you're doing is putting yourself $500 further away from the bike you really should be buying.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I want to make clear, that depending on the model this could be a good bike for the money. Notice the huge difference between the Big Hit DH and the Big Hit Comp:

2003 Specialized Big Hit DH - BikePedia

2003 Specialized Big Hit Comp - BikePedia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Agreed. As they say, 'everything is worth what someone will pay for it.' Everything else is simply guidance.

those parts are not worth $500.

careful with that logic. 2 or 3 seasons is enough for a DH/FR bike to start showing its age. wear and tear can not be approximated by the age or miles ridden. its a whole other ballgame.

I've learned sometimes you are doing the right thing, dipping your toe in the water. Usually though, all you're doing is putting yourself $500 further away from the bike you really should be buying.
    + 1 here.
    Looking at a 10y/o MTB. A LOT and I mean A LOT has changed in technology over that time. Plus, the functionality of each of the parts is going to be in question. Put it to you this way. The sum of the parts means nothing if they are in need of maintenance. You can easily dump $200 just in getting new brake pads, rotors, shifter cables, truing wheels, new chain and chainring... this is all before you even consider the fact that the forks and shocks probably need rebuilding let alone any damage to the frame.

I think you need to raise your budget and get something newer, cleaner, and especially steer clear of anything they say is "rare!!"
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well it has a shifter on the left side so i assume its not the pricey model since there is no de-railer on the front of the expensive model, Being a high school kid with no time to work from sports, in fact im selling my snowboard equipment just to get this bike, my budget isnt really all that flex able, i think im gonna see if he is willing to come down at all since its been up for some time and ill mention that i saw the going rate is much lower, i really dont wanna buy online cause of the shipping and there isnt much else round here to buy.
    @RTM you say the 24" rear is a problem, why is that?

Well crap it sold today, now the search contiunes.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'm guessing this is the bike? specialized big hit

Looks more like a 2001: 2001 Specialized Big Hit FSR Comp - BikePedia

The rear triangle has been repainted. No thanks, I'll pass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    There is also this but is a xc bike, however the lock out'd be nice, and its really light according to some reviews, however bushings are hard to get a hold of due to it being discontinued. Tomac full suspension mountain bike it says obo

@berkly, yeah that's it, i wasn't sure if CL links where not allowed like some other forums im on. Its sold anyway....

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

And alas, another noob wondering about a CL deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DuluthRunner View Post
    @RTM you say the 24" rear is a problem, why is that?

Well crap it sold today, now the search contiunes.
    Two main reasons. the 24" wheel does not roll over obstacles as easily as the 26". I guess back then they thought the 24" would make for a stronger wheel, lighter, perhaps easier to throw into turns, easier to manual...all of that may be theoretically true but in practice the only traits anyone really noticed were the bad ones...mainly the fact that it made high speed trail riding a lot more jarring than it had to be, and made the rear end a lot less predictable.

Reason number 2, today your options for replacement rims and tires are going to be severely limited vs. a standard 26" setup.

Don't be too upset that it sold. Honestly I would count it as a blessing. Your true love is out there! Patience my friend.

- Rob

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthRunner View Post
    There is also this but is a xc bike, however the lock out'd be nice, and its really light according to some reviews, however bushings are hard to get a hold of due to it being discontinued. Tomac full suspension mountain bike it says obo

@berkly, yeah that's it, i wasn't sure if CL links where not allowed like some other forums im on. Its sold anyway....
    I guess I'm lost. You said you went downhilling at a ski resort, but now you're looking at XC bikes with lockout? What kind of riding are you going to do? That's the first thing you need to figure out.

EDIT: I wouldn't buy the Tomac either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Downhill is my primary concern, I guess i need to look around some further away CLs and see whats out there. Thanks for the info RTM

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    wish they would piss off with the spam.
    as mentioned keep looking, the right bike is out there waiting for you to find. even check out the for sale here and pinkbike.
    also check out forums for your area. i picked up my bike from work forum that has a section where employees are allowed to buy and sell items. we have a sporting goods section and a lively bike forum as well. we have bikes for sale pretty much all the time of various types. Can't hurt to look.

mtbr member
    You should also check out the MORC (Twin Cities version of COGGS) site. They have a pretty active classifieds section.

For Sale

Main Index - PhotoPost Classifieds

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Okay ill look about and see what i can find, i think ill deal with what i have until the snow falls then save so i can get something nice come spring. Thanks again guys, you really are a great help!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Duluth: IMPORTANT: Whenever you are shopping for a bike on craigslist, and someone list the model year of a bike for sale, ALWAYS double check on BikePedia as I have lost count how many times people are incorrect on the model year of the bike they are selling. An honest mistake, or faulty memory? Maybe in some circumstances, but when sellers have been incorrect on the model year, it's ALWAYS older than they say it is.

Also look to make sure the bike is still equipped with the right components or better. M any times with older bikes that were expensive when purchased new, the good parts have been replaced with less expensive ones.

There are good deals to be had, but there are many more not-so-good deals that could be a nightmare. Full suspension bikes, are even riskier as the pivots may be damaged beyond repair, or the parts are no longer available.

Do your due diligence, and investigate, and if possible, have an experienced rider/friend assist you finding a suitable bike. At worst, post the bike up here, and the good folks here will help.

The "2003 Big Hit" (lowest tier Big Hit) retailed for $880, and if the bike was indeed (and it looks like it is [was] a 2001 Big Hit FSR Comp, that bike retailed for $2,450. That's quite a bit of difference between bikes. Know exactly what your looking at before plunking down money.

One last thing. Back around 2000, 4" to 5" travel bikes were considered "long travel". Rock Shox even made a SID dual crown (LOL) in 1999. Hardly a DH worthy rig by today's standards. If you don't learn quickly, or get help from a friend, you could make a costly mistake in your haste to get a worthy rig.

Good Luck.