mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Airborne Guardian vs Seeker

So I've read through every thread and review I can find on these 2 bikes and I'm still torn. I am just getting into mountain biking and I'm riding a used 10 year old mountain bike at the moment while I save my pennies.

For now, 50 percent of my riding will be on local trails in Castle Rock, CO and 50 percent towing my 2 year old daughter in a trailer. Hopefully as my skill grows so will the terrain I ride but I don't forsee myself getting into anything too crazy. At the most I'm looking forward to the small jumps on the dirt course by my house.

I'm trying to decide if the $330 more for the Seeker is worth it and if I will notice a difference in the Air Fork and 2X10 drivetrain. I'm starting from scratch so that $330 would go a long way towards pedals, a nice helmet, gloves, tools, and other gear I will need.

Will I quickly out grow the Guardian or for my riding is it still plenty of bike for me?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are sticking to the sport, in that case I would pay the extra for better specs and IF needed to upgrade stuff later down the road. I ride an entry level myself but did start on a super cheap bike from Bikesdirect which I quickly got rid of and got something better. As you have read, there Airbornes seemed to be liked by most.

If its too much of a stretch then, go with the more affordable one. I ride similar to you, nothing crazy and my bike is plenty for right now. That's not to say in the near future I don't want an even better bike. Hope a rookie's feedback will help.

Whichever one you get just Enjoy it and make sure it fits.

Edit: Love the color scheme on the Guardian
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think I would go with the Guardian and look for a better fork, if you need one, later.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I think I would go with the Guardian and look for a better fork, if you need one, later.
    been there, done that, not a great plan unless your strapped for cash. i had a Guardian as my first bike, it was great for an entry level bike, and i made a lot of upgrades in the year i rode it. including an upgraded fork. if you buy a Guardian and a fork (~$400 min.) you over the price of the Seeker, and missing out on all the other upgrades. it will cost you a lot less in the long run to start with the better bike, if you have the money i urge you to go that route.

the general rule of thumb is to buy the best bike you can afford.

will you quickly out grow it? probably not. will you want to upgrade certain things at some point? probably.

how heavy are you? the stock fork on the Guardian comes with a medium spring and is insufficient if your 190+ lbs. it's not the end of the world, it can be swapped out for the proper spring for ~$30 but something to consider if your heavier. starting with the better fork on the Seeker will be lighter and more easily adjustable.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    been there, done that, not a great plan unless your strapped for cash. i had a Guardian as my first bike, it was great for an entry level bike, and i made a lot of upgrades in the year i rode it. including an upgraded fork. if you buy a Guardian and a fork (~$400 min.) you over the price of the Seeker, and missing out on all the other upgrades. it will cost you a lot less in the long run to start with the better bike, if you have the money i urge you to go that route.

the general rule of thumb is to buy the best bike you can afford.

will you quickly out grow it? probably not. will you want to upgrade certain things at some point? probably.

how heavy are you? the stock fork on the Guardian comes with a medium spring and is insufficient if your 190+ lbs. it's not the end of the world, it can be swapped out for the proper spring for ~$30 but something to consider if your heavier. starting with the better fork on the Seeker will be lighter and more easily adjustable.
    I'm currently 5'10" and 180 lbs but should be (and hope to be soon) 165. I'm looking at the 18 size for both bikes. I agree with swapping a fork down the road being expensive. I'm leaning slightly towards the Seeker but not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I was in the same boat and am waiting anxiously to order a Seeker.

The Guardian is a great bike but for $330 you get Avid brakes vs Tektro, 2x10 vs 3x9 (fewer shifts), tapered head tube vs straight (more fork options), same frame as the goblin vs old goblin frame, and last but certainly not least RS solo air fork vs RS coil fork (easier to tune to your weight/riding style).

As to whether it's worth the $330... If you were to swap the Guardian fork later on you could sell the coil fork for $90 and grab an air fork for $300 but choices are getting more and more limited considering the straight 1.125" headtube. Best case you're net -$210, so $120 for newer frame design, 2x10, and Avid brakes.

You choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Avid brakes are not an upgrade of much significance. Shimano Deore M615s are and cost $89 from Ribble unless during a 10% off sale.
    Another scenario is a complete bike upgrade in a year. A few rides and you may just want to begin saving for a bigger jump.
    That is more cost effective than upgrading either bike, because they both will need it..

Ludicrous Speed
    I really want to Love Airborne, and buy Airborne - I would have put my order in a while ago if I didn't get the "we only have 2 people in the building, but the guy who takes care of what you want help with is out right now" and no follow-up since.. So no order was placed...

Seeker has been out of stock for weeks. Guardian (White) has been out of stock for weeks. The company ignores facebook questions for months. The company is running absolutely bare bones staffing and runs out of product regularly.

But, if you're willing to accept all these shortcomings, you'll save $300 on an entry level bike - An entry level bike which I don't think I have seen a single person post about how happy they were and how no upgrades were ever needed, and how they didn't already have $300-500 in parts laying around to slap on this bike just because it's cheaper than a Giant, and how after 3 months or 6 months of riding they decided they needed a "real bike"...

Right now I have an extremely hard time pulling the trigger on an Airborne - With the "level of service" that I have experienced from Airborne in the last few weeks of keeping an eye on them - I have a hard time thinking they will be around in the years to come - I have a hard time thinking their doors would even be open today if Huffy didn't purchase Airborne outright.

Gruntled
    I'm with tual, having similar cust serv experiences, but I just can't turn down the bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm glad to say I've had the exact opposite experience with Airborne. My friend bought a Skyhawk ($350 26er) 2.5 year ago and hasn't had to nor really wanted to upgrade a single thing. If it were me, I'd have upgraded the fork, but different strokes and all. Nothing has broken on his bike and frankly, I'm quite impressed with it.

I've been on their fb probably every other day for 6 weeks and they seem to respond to questions posted within 48hr. I've emailed them 4 times and each time it's been answered within 2 business days. This is the same as I received 2.5yr ago when helping my friend pick his bike and get the correct size. They also seem to answer questions in their section here on mtbr promptly.

As for inventory, yes they have a big problem there. It's pretty bad when you have little to no inventory in prime riding season and some models are on back order for 9mo. They must be missing out on a ton of sales due to poor forecasting, operations failures, mfg issues, or whatever else is going on.

I find myself saving a good chunk vs the big brands with typical dealer network distribution models. Some fair comparisons spec-wise: Seeker $930 vs a Giant Talon 1 $1370 or Trek Xcaliber 9 $1340 for a 31% savings; Guardian $600 vs Trek Xcaliber 7 $960 for a 38% savings. Tough to argue with the value and I'm a value guy so airborne it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Avid brakes are not an upgrade of much significance. Shimano Deore M615s are and cost $89 from Ribble unless during a 10% off sale.
    Another scenario is a complete bike upgrade in a year. A few rides and you may just want to begin saving for a bigger jump.
    That is more cost effective than upgrading either bike, because they both will need it..
    That is a great point. By the time I outgrow the Guardian I will probably want something better then the Seeker.

Quote Originally Posted by tualmbr View Post
    I really want to Love Airborne, and buy Airborne - I would have put my order in a while ago if I didn't get the "we only have 2 people in the building, but the guy who takes care of what you want help with is out right now" and no follow-up since.. So no order was placed...

Seeker has been out of stock for weeks. Guardian (White) has been out of stock for weeks. The company ignores facebook questions for months. The company is running absolutely bare bones staffing and runs out of product regularly.

But, if you're willing to accept all these shortcomings, you'll save $300 on an entry level bike - An entry level bike which I don't think I have seen a single person post about how happy they were and how no upgrades were ever needed, and how they didn't already have $300-500 in parts laying around to slap on this bike just because it's cheaper than a Giant, and how after 3 months or 6 months of riding they decided they needed a "real bike"...

Right now I have an extremely hard time pulling the trigger on an Airborne - With the "level of service" that I have experienced from Airborne in the last few weeks of keeping an eye on them - I have a hard time thinking they will be around in the years to come - I have a hard time thinking their doors would even be open today if Huffy didn't purchase Airborne outright.
    That is too bad to hear. Usually it seems like Airborne has great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    I'm glad to say I've had the exact opposite experience with Airborne. My friend bought a Skyhawk ($350 26er) 2.5 year ago and hasn't had to nor really wanted to upgrade a single thing. If it were me, I'd have upgraded the fork, but different strokes and all. Nothing has broken on his bike and frankly, I'm quite impressed with it.

I've been on their fb probably every other day for 6 weeks and they seem to respond to questions posted within 48hr. I've emailed them 4 times and each time it's been answered within 2 business days. This is the same as I received 2.5yr ago when helping my friend pick his bike and get the correct size. They also seem to answer questions in their section here on mtbr promptly.

As for inventory, yes they have a big problem there. It's pretty bad when you have little to no inventory in prime riding season and some models are on back order for 9mo. They must be missing out on a ton of sales due to poor forecasting, operations failures, mfg issues, or whatever else is going on.

I find myself saving a good chunk vs the big brands with typical dealer network distribution models. Some fair comparisons spec-wise: Seeker $930 vs a Giant Talon 1 $1370 or Trek Xcaliber 9 $1340 for a 31% savings; Guardian $600 vs Trek Xcaliber 7 $960 for a 38% savings. Tough to argue with the value and I'm a value guy so airborne it is.
    I emailed them today and within an hour I got a response. And after that we emailed back and fourth a few times. I explained the same thing I did to you guys (how I'm just starting and the riding I plan on doing) and he said to go with the Guardian. I asked if I would out grow the Guardian and if I would be better off starting with the Seeker and he said "Guardian is a solid bike that will server you well and you could always upgrade items as they wear out." It was kind of nice not having an employee try to force you into something more expensive.

They also have free shipping right now. But as others have said, out of the Guardian 18 black, Guardian 18 White, and Seeker 18, the only one they have in stock is the Guardian Black 18. Guardian will only be sold in black the rest of the year and the Seeker will be back on the site on the 27th of this month.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead71 View Post

They also have free shipping right now. But as others have said, out of the Guardian 18 black, Guardian 18 White, and Seeker 18, the only one they have in stock is the Guardian Black 18. Guardian will only be sold in black the rest of the year and the Seeker will be back on the site on the 27th of this month.
    That is the best news I've heard this week! I'm looking to get the Seeker. Did they mention anything about free shipping still available on Monday when the Seeker is back in stock?

Ludicrous Speed
    Im curious - I have not seen many posts about Kona bikes - are they a good brand, good value?

How does these compare to the Seeker ?

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | ORIGINALS | Unit

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | ORIGINALS | Mahuna

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HUMUHUMU | Humuhumu

mtbr member
    I ride a Seeker and love it. I was in a similar position but opted for the Seeker for the frame, brakes, 2x10, and fork. It's been a great bike and I think most people think they outgrow their bike, but they're just justifying their purchases. Hahahaha I'm guilty of it
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This is my first season mtbing and I bought a seeker. Admittedly due to stock and staffing issues airborne has not been as available now as I have heard about them in the past. However as you experienced, they want what is best for you and your type of riding, I must agree with the old statement buy as much bike as you can afford. The fork alone is worth the extra 300. I love my seeker the only real problems are the tires which I believe are the same on the guardian and seeker. Either bike would be a good choice the seeker's upgradeability just outmatches the guardian IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post
    That is the best news I've heard this week! I'm looking to get the Seeker. Did they mention anything about free shipping still available on Monday when the Seeker is back in stock?
    They did not

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They have free shipping on pretty much everything right now, I'm hoping that they offer it for the Seeker too especially after it being OOS for so long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im curious - I have not seen many posts about Kona bikes - are they a good brand, good value?

How does these compare to the Seeker ?

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | ORIGINALS | Unit

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | ORIGINALS | Mahuna

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HUMUHUMU | Humuhumu
    Cheapest bike I see with a non-suntour fork is $1299, before looking any further, they don't really compare with the Seeker's value.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I own a seeker and also love the bike. I was looking at the Guardian and decided to up the budget and get the seeker. If you ride single track and rougher trails it is a no brainer move. I have done a little customizing to improve its "trail" abilities such as seat, bars, stem, and tires. The rest of the bike is very solid and can handle rough trails. The tires not the most capable in the dirt, but they work well as a road/dirt combo tire. If you are looking to max trail capability, the Goblin EVO on sale is probably the best value. The Seeker is probably the second best.

Ludicrous Speed
    You mention Goblin EVO on sale - does that mean the current $1279 or at a lower price?

Seems like every step closer to Airborne is 2 steps further away - so I am on the Airborne website trying to get the Goblin EVO specs - their webpage for the 20" Goblin EVO doesn't even exist.. I chose 22" instead and half the frame measurements are missing.

Ludicrous Speed
    Cheapest bike I see with a non-suntour fork is $1299, before looking any further, they don't really compare with the Seeker's value.
    Jerz - I would have to do some searches about why Suntour is bad. It seems like they have a pretty liberal upgrade program at least?

At this point, If I am going to spend the Seeker $ then I might as well get a Goblin. And if I am going to spend Goblin $ then I might as well get the Goblin EVO

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Get the Guardian then in two years you can make it your official child towing bike and get something a little nicer for the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes, Suntour has a good program to upgrade from the low-end coil XCM and similar found on most $400-1k bikes to a decent Radion air fork for only $200, but that's just even more cost when comparing these bikes.

Airborne recently said that the Evo will not be available until next Spring since they're revamping it. They have a new product manager and he wants to tweak/upgrade some bikes but hold price they said.

It's also worth noting that if you buy the Guardian, even if you decide to sell it in 2yr, you won't lose much $. The few used Guardians I've seen have still be like $500, which is fair for their specs assuming it's well cared for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You mention Goblin EVO on sale - does that mean the current $1279 or at a lower price?

Seems like every step closer to Airborne is 2 steps further away - so I am on the Airborne website trying to get the Goblin EVO specs - their webpage for the 20" Goblin EVO doesn't even exist.. I chose 22" instead and half the frame measurements are missing.
    The Goblin Evo $1279 is the clearance price. They were $1750 normally and a great deal at that price. They are an insane deal at $1279 if you can ride a 22 (only size left in stock)but you better be pretty tall I'm almost 6'2" and my 20" Evo fits me perfectly. A 22 would be a little too big for me. It is much more bike than the Seeker or the Goblin and is beefier with better geometry than their cross country style Goblins and seekers. At least for my style of trail riding. Also the components are much better. They are a great bike for sure. If you can't ride the XL I would get the regular Goblin. It's a bit more than the Seeker but I would say it is worth it. I wouldn't bother with the Guardian unless you are really strapped for cash. I originally was looking at the seeker but after a lot of research I ended up with the Evo and it was worth every extra penny I spent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    the evo is not better than the seeker or any other cross country bike they sell. the geometry is not better. they are different .

if you have any long stretches of rides between moderate trails like me you will feel like your pushing the evo compared to the seeker. the rule of thumb i use is if you are trying to ride the bike with some small jumps and some technical trails, evo. if no air and you want to enjoy more speed with moderate trails (root and rock here and there) rather than technical seeker or goblin. if you are towing a child, the evo will be a Lead Sled. your heart will thank you for the workout with the evo, if you don't have a heart attack

i have the seeker. i had more of trail before it, a rockhopper that leaned in direction of trail. it was like riding into the wind compared to an xc bike
    Last edited by Minimaltread; 07-25-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Ludicrous Speed
    Minimaltread - Talking about any Airborne bike right now is like beating a dead horse. They have nothing in stock!

Anyway - I posted the following in another thread - but given the things that I found I have problems with on this old KHS - I wonder if it sheds any light on the Goblin working best for my needs :

Today I went on a 2 hour ride - my first real ride since 1995. Some of you may have been reading my various "first bike since 1995" posts where I ask for advise on buying a new bike. I still haven't bought a bike - but I did borrow an old KHS mountain bike. Some of my first observations - the bike must be too small for me in every aspect - the seat was not high enough so I was slumped over at such an angle the my neck ached from having to "look up" and more of my energy was spent trying to "suck in my gut" just so my legs would have enough room to come up - which made it harder to breath . The saddest part of this statement is I really don't have much of a gut.

I say the seat was not high enough because it always felt that my legs were not extending enough to put my full force into pedaling. I say the bike felt too small mostly because I was hunched over too much.

Towards the end of the ride, it felt as though something on the inside of my left buttock/groin was cramping up or being rubbed/constricted too much by the seat - I am going to assume this is just normal pain that comes along with getting used to riding in general and getting used to a particular seat in general.

Some other specific problems, the front bars seem too narrow - felt as though the slightest thing would have tossed the entire front end into the wrong direction and I would have been flying down to the road. I know some prefer wider bars for more control - I must be part of that some. The pedals felt too narrow - no matter how I placed my feet, part of my foot was always rubbing against the crank arms or bowing my feet out over the sides of the pedals which made it feel like my pedaling power was being wasted..

Obviously it will take some time to build up strength and get used to riding again. Years ago when I rode almost daily - I dedicated 90 days to going nowhere if I couldn't get there on bike. I saw such amazing results in my endurance and strength!

I know everyone says "go ride bikes, buy the one you fall in love with" - and today made that statement pretty obvious. Why by the best spec'd bike in my price range if the first thing I'll have to do is change 1/2 a dozen parts on it because those parts just don't "fit me"

Ah well, it was a nice intro ride. I plan on biking to work on that same old KHS and seeing how that goes - only problem is if I raise the seat for better leg motion - the low bars / being hunched over will probably be even more noticeable/uncomfortable. oh the dilemma.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimaltread View Post
    the evo is not better than the seeker or any other cross country bike they sell. the geometry is not better. they are different .

if you have any long stretches of rides between moderate trails like me you will feel like your pushing the evo compared to the seeker. the rule of thumb i use is if you are trying to ride the bike with some small jumps and some technical trails, evo. if no air and you want to enjoy more speed with moderate trails (root and rock here and there) rather than technical seeker or goblin. if you are towing a child, the evo will be a Lead Sled. your heart will thank you for the workout with the evo, if you don't have a heart attack

i have the seeker. i had more of trail before it, a rockhopper that leaned in direction of trail. it was like riding into the wind compared to an xc bike
    Geometry is different agreed but I said for my style of trail riding it was better...maybe I could have written that clearer. That being said the Goblin EVO is not by any means a lead sled. It is fast and climbs quite well.Tubeless mine came in at just under 27 lbs with heavy pedals. The 29 degree HT angle is pretty conservative and not raked out like an enduro or DH bike. The handling is lively especially for a 29er. It is a great bike if you want to do a little more than cross country even though it does CC quite well but is tough enough if you want to do more.It is a very confidence inspiring bike. Most people I know started with a CC bike and found they wanted to do some harder trail riding and ended up buying a different bike. The Evo is a good one for all but the hardest riding and will last a beginner a long time. Now if you are gonna do mostly CC the Goblin is quite nice and IMHO it is worth the price difference over the Seeker.Can't really go wrong with any of these bikes as they are all good values. I think spending a little more now gets you a better bike at a better over all value. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just noticed the price of the Seeker got knocked down by 100 bucks. It's now $830 but still shows out of stock... For me, $230 is probably worth the jump from the Guardian to the Seeker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Seekers are in stock and dropped $100 plus free shipping... $829 shipped!

Goblins also dropped $100 and are in stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

I guess we are both right, it shows the 16, 18, and 20 as out of stock but the 22 in stock. But this is just the website. Maybe it hasn't been fully updated yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    $829 would be great....
    How much does a 18" seeker weigh approx?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead71 View Post
    I guess we are both right, it shows the 16, 18, and 20 as out of stock but the 22 in stock. But this is just the website. Maybe it hasn't been fully updated yet.
    They're all in stock. I ordered an 18". Try clearing your browser cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock77 View Post
    $829 would be great....
    How much does a 18" seeker weigh approx?
    28.9lb from what I've been able to find. I plan to document weights and a budget 4lb weight loss when I get mine.

Ludicrous Speed

Nobody was supposed to figure this out until AFTER I placed MY order! lol

Can anyone confirm that the Goblin has the exact same components? Is the price drop just because it's later in the season, or have components been downgraded?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nobody was supposed to figure this out until AFTER I placed MY order! lol

Can anyone confirm that the Goblin has the exact same components? Is the price drop just because it's later in the season, or have components been downgraded?
    Doesn't look like they changed any components, same X7 stuff, same fork, same wheels. I suspect this is due to the upcoming change in components that I saw mentioned somewhere on here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Dang, I would have considered selling my bike and buying an airborne if I didn't already buy a new fork for my current bike.
    Surprised it isn't lighter than 28.9

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I thought 28.9 was decent for the price/spec. There is a ton of weight to be shed in the wheel/tire combo. Wheelset is 2600g and tires are 890g each, so even just going tubeless and swapping to some 6xxg tires you shave 2.5lb of rotating mass. Grab an 1800g wheelset (still pretty inexpensive) and you drop another 1.7lb.

I'm just going off weights I've found through multiple posts, but I plan to post weights of everything to show the savings. I'm thinking I'll have a final weight with pedals just under 25lb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just bought a Airborne Goblin 16", and I'm stoked!!! I can't believe how much they dropped in price recently. A few weeks ago I would have paid $1358.99, but now I paid $1176.99. Saved nearly $200! For a great quality bike!!!

Good things do come to those who wait. Ha!

Ludicrous Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post
    Just bought a Airborne Goblin 16", and I'm stoked!!! I can't believe how much they dropped in price recently. A few weeks ago I would have paid $1358.99, but now I paid $1176.99. Saved nearly $200! For a great quality bike!!!

Good things do come to those who wait. Ha!
    Nice nice, now we need to start a "my Goblin is on the way and here are all the fun new parts I bought to go with it" thread - I am on 3 hours of Pedal research right now - Think the Mallet will be what I have to go with!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Nice nice, now we need to start a "my Goblin is on the way and here are all the fun new parts I bought to go with it" thread - I am on 3 hours of Pedal research right now - Think the Mallet will be what I have to go with!
    I think you and I pretty much twins right now... I'm doing the same exact thing. I'll be riding some paved bike paths and neighborhoods wife my wife while we tow our 14 month old in a trailer (in street shoes). So these seem a best of both worlds pedal: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-EPDA53...VZZE6EKETYAM45 and Shimano PD-M530 pedals review - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Accidental duplicate post.
    Last edited by dougdabbs; 07-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Ludicrous Speed
    dougdabbs- That A530 looks nice but I have a feeling it would turn into that always trying to flip the pedal to the right side depending on which shoes. The mallet 3 seems like the only pedal that has enough platform that the spring would not matter...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah, I feel like I'm looking at so many now, I'm all over the place. I'll have to decide one day. Wait... how much lighter will my bike be if I go pedal-less???

Problem. Solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    tualmbr. i guess that dead horse sure can get up and run.

the real point was xc v. trail.

but the guy who made the comment about his evo being 27 pounds is something to consider. i wonder what sitting more upright on the bike would do for towing a trailer

Ludicrous Speed
    tualmbr. i guess that dead horse sure can get up and run.

the real point was xc v. trail.

but the guy who made the comment about his evo being 27 pounds is something to consider. i wonder what sitting more upright on the bike would do for towing a trailer
    Perfect time for you to sell that seeker and get yourself a Goblin!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    has crossed my mind but that upgrade is not worth the divorce i'd go through

Ludicrous Speed
    has crossed my mind but that upgrade is not worth the divorce i'd go through
    Sounds like she loves her shoes and purses more than she is willing to let you love your bikes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jerz - I would have to do some searches about why Suntour is bad. It seems like they have a pretty liberal upgrade program at least?

At this point, If I am going to spend the Seeker $ then I might as well get a Goblin. And if I am going to spend Goblin $ then I might as well get the Goblin EVO
    The lower end Suntour shocks are really for riding on light trails. They even state it on a sticker that is on the shock. For that purpose, they are not terrible. If you ride anything more challenging than they can reach their limits quickly, especially if you weigh more. I bought a Giant Revel and switched it out using the upgrade program. I had always had Rockshox Air forks but thought that for $200 it was worth a shot. I have been really pleased with the Raidon and would highly recommend it. Suntour's mid to high end forks are actually quite nice. For $400, I would probably have gone the Rockshox route but for $200 it was well worth it. I also the fork that came with the bike for $45 on ebay so it lowered the investment to only $155. Not bad.
    You could always buy the Guardian and keep the old shock when you upgrade the fork. If you sell the bike down the road, put the original back on and transer the Raidon to your next bike.
    Either way, good luck. Airborne makes sweet looking bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

I've had similar but opposite experience, if that makes any sense... Some days/times, they've been hard to get a hold of, and it's pretty apparent that they're pretty busy, but when I call or when I email during business hours (when the right person is there), they're very helpful. They're really not all that hard to get a hold of, when it comes right down to it, but they're not as easy to get a hold of as a big company with 10 people who just man the phones all day.

Mike

Ludicrous Speed
    So I have spent about 7 solid hours researching pedals. Mostly based on reviews, then based on looks, then based on color, then based on weight..

I wanted a green pedal, partly because it's my favorite color, partly because that would make my bike stand out in a crowd, and partly because Goblin has a green stripe on it.

I know, that all sounds pretty sad like a girl trying to match her shoes and her purse..

I was a hair away from buying the crampton's in green or the deity nylon in green - neither are quite a match.. Then I saw the Raceface in green - seems like an identical match in color, but $152 - not ready for the pricetag.

I think i'll be going with the MX80's .. I know, they are 500g, I may as well be towing a baby along with me at that weight - but I think overall, at the $56 pricepoint, there is no way I could do better in quality and longevity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi, jumping in on this thread rather than start another. My situation is the same as the original poster. I live in Delaware, so there aren't any real mountains. Haven't ridden in a while due to a motorcycle accident and a kid. Started hitting the local shops to no avail and found out about Airborne. I'm hooked and will be buying. Most of my riding will be with a 3 year old in tow and then escaping for a day or two here and there to hit the local trails. I was sold on the Guardian, but now am trying to talk myself out of the Seeker. I have been over all the specs and compared and drooled and compared and drooled...
    My question is about the 2x10 gears on the Seeker. Would this set up be suitable for road riding occasionally? Not with any professionals, just the neighborhood club out for little 10 mile loops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTune View Post
    Hi, jumping in on this thread rather than start another. My situation is the same as the original poster. I live in Delaware, so there aren't any real mountains. Haven't ridden in a while due to a motorcycle accident and a kid. Started hitting the local shops to no avail and found out about Airborne. I'm hooked and will be buying. Most of my riding will be with a 3 year old in tow and then escaping for a day or two here and there to hit the local trails. I was sold on the Guardian, but now am trying to talk myself out of the Seeker. I have been over all the specs and compared and drooled and compared and drooled...
    My question is about the 2x10 gears on the Seeker. Would this set up be suitable for road riding occasionally? Not with any professionals, just the neighborhood club out for little 10 mile loops.
    That gearing will be fine for road rides. I would definitely go with the Seeker over the Gaurdian in fact if you swing a little more I'd take a good look at the Griffin. I think the plus wheels would be a lot nicer on a hard tail and the components are quite a bit better. The Avid brakes on the Seeker seem to be universally hated. Just a couple upgrades to the seeker and you could have bought the griffin. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That slippery slope thinking got me into the Seeker from the Guardian. My budget of $500-$600 has already been blown. I understand the reasoning, but I'm already out of my comfort zone of spending.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Understood. I ended up talking myself from a seeker to a Goblin Evo myself. Slippery slope indeed. I ended up totally hooked on mountain biking though and not even a year later I was buying a full suspension enduro bike (Breezer Repack Team). That EVO started it all though. You may want to also look at some of the closeout bikes on pricepoint.com and jensen.com some great deals there as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've liked the Guardian just fine, but I went ahead and went up a couple teeth on the middle chain ring and ditched the third chain ring in favor of a bash ring, so I'm now 2x9. It's fine for street riding, even with thinner hybrid tires that I use to pull my daughter's trailer around the park and bike paths around town. I also went with some EBC brake pads, and the brakes are legitimately really good. Both of those things were really cheap, though, coming from motorcycles and dirt bikes for comparison!

The only thing that would stop me from buying the Guardian again is the fork. I only rode it for a little bit with the 28mm fork, but it was decidedly floppy, especially under braking. However, I lucked out that a caliper mount bolt hole on my forks was stripped, and as opposed to shipping the bike back and getting another one, I said I'd swap the fork out, myself, if they just sent me a new fork. Rockshox didn't have an XC28 in stock, so they sent me an XC30, instead. I really don't have any complaints about this fork, at all! I totally get the sub-$600 price point, but I'd have paid $630 for the bike with the XC30 fork, instead of the 28!

Mike

mtbr member
    How much is the Seeker? This bike is being highly recommended around the forum, sorry if I'm throwing another wrench at your shopping experience $750.00 -

Diamondback Bikes, 2016 Mason Trail
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    For starting out trail riding, nothing against the guardian. The Seeker is a better bike, but might be overkill for what you're riding. Well established fact that the fork on the guardian isn't very good, but it's not an expensive fork. It's better than it could be though. If you don't weight a lot or are on a medium frame bike, it'll probably work OK. If you're over 200lbs, get the seeker.

I will say, that Mason is a nice 27.5+ bike. Since it's on sale, it's a good deal too. With the regular price, not as good a deal though. You can also run 29er tires in it with a wheel swap.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"