1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

ah crap...made a newb mistake

went out tomorrow morning, through tools, towels and a full bottle of pedros lube in my camel back. Get home around 7pm. went back out with no backpack to do some local riding. came back home, opened my camel back to get my allen set to fix something and then i realized. F#@! my bottle of lube cracked at the bottom and the whole bottle leaked. it puddled in the bottom of my camel back and covered all my **** in lube. including a brand new pair of pedals (flats). i brought them because i was going clipless and it was my first ride clipless on a mountain bike so i wanted them, just in case. I washed the lube off my pedals. tryed to get it off my tools but its still there. my camel back is in my shower upside down. im not sure how i should get the lube out.

College Boy
    well first off just water will not get it all. You have remember water and oil do not mix. It will require at least some soup to help break it up.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Soak it in the washing machine with double soap, warm water, and Simple Green. Put it all in and let it agitate to mix the cleaners all in, then turn it off and let it soak for about one hour. Then turn it back on to run the full long was cycle. Then Run it through the whole wash cycle again with normal amount of soap and then maybe even give it an extra rinse cycle or two. Hang dry if it is all clean, if not repeat the soap and Simple Green trick etc. until it is clean.

Never carry oil with you in your pack.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    would brake parts cleaner work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz

Never carry oil with you in your pack.
    That was my first thought .

Quote Originally Posted by EHCRain

Don't use anything too harsh as it will probably remove the waterproof coatings on the material. Natedogz advice was good. If that doesn't do the trick you might also want to soak it in a bucket with warm water and a bunch of Palmolive dish detergent. It's designed to cut through grease and is pretty gentle ("You're soaking in it!")

Just curious- why were you bringing lube and towels along on a ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EHCRain
    Yep, just not on the Camelbak

ThomasFerrer, for the tools you need some sort of degreaser. Brake parts cleaner works. Even concentrated dish soap might do the job. Personally, I like the Finish Line degreasers as they aren't nasty to work with, but unfortunately they aren't as cheap as the stuff from an auto store either.

Ride the dream
    I disagree on "never carrying oil in your pack".

If I go riding for a day, I wont leave it behind.

I guess it depends alot on where youre riding - and to a certain extent what lube you're using.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    You have remember water and oil do not mix. It will require at least some soup to help break it up.
    Cream of broccoli works pretty well

Honestly, I recommend either laundry soap or dish soap.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Always when carrying lub in your pack double ziplock it. I also take the cap off, put a piece of plastic wrap over the hole and put the cap back on. Seems to help. I had this happen in my tool box a few weeks ago. Completely pissed me off and ruined some roadbar tape.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel