1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Advise for loosing weight?

Ok, I am 6' tall and weigh 269 right now. First goal is to get to 260, then 250, then 240, etc... I know one of my biggest obstacles right now is I run out of breathe REALLY easily. Does anyone have any advise for loosing weight while riding or using the bike? Would it be worthwhile to invest in one of those things that prop up the back wheel so that I can use it like a exercise bike each day? I know I don't have time to ride outdoors each day but I can put the bike on one of those and maybe it would help me build up the stamina and breathing technique to keep going much longer. Any advise would be much appreciated!

spec4life???..smh...
    sounds like your asking for permission more than advice

Id say go for it and just put the bike in the highest gear although it will probaly spin easily and not give much of a workout, but idk iv never used one.

Id say though if you are gonna take the time to spin inside you should just take it out in front of you house and ride up and down the road. You dont need to go all the way to the trails.

Sounds like you know what to do, you just have to commit to it. Personally I hate riding stationary bikes or using a gym (the odors and lack of true ventilation are just not conducive to a good time for me), but when I first got hooked on mountain bikes you couldn't keep me off one. I dropped a lot of weight by not just riding as much as possible, but also improving my diet in that I moved to healthier foods and simpler preparation (raw, simply prepared, less carbs, more protein, fat/fried stuff as necessary to keep my sanity, etc).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    With limited time on your hands, I'd say ride the bike and ride it hard. I can only ride my bike during the very early hours of the morning, but when I do, I ride it hard. I have no time for the typical endurance ride. When I ride my bike, it's like I'm in a race. I've lost 38 lbs in the last six months because of this routine. When I started, I am not obese or anything, just a bit chubby. I'm only 5'8" and I'm currently 151#

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you can get an hour a day on the bike, you will see improvements pretty quickly. Once a week do some intervals and once week try to do a long ride. After awhile your definition of a long ride will change. Riding inside sucks, get outside and ride around the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Garfield,

I suggest those days that you do not have time to bike that you run. I know you want to get better at biking, and losing the weight will help you more then anything. And nothing beats running for maximizing time and number of calories burned.

Secondly...eat less. It is amazing how much more we eat then is needed or compared to other countries. Try cutting your portion sizes by a third or half. It does not matter how much you work out (unless you do it for a living) if you are eating 10,000 calories a day. And not to be blunt..but you did not get to 269lbs by eating normal portion sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've lost about 50 pounds in the past 6 months.

I did it through diet and exercise, spending about 10 hours a week in the gym throwing around barbells, and dumbbells.

Cut back on your carb intake. You need some carbs for energy, try eating fruit, and whole wheats, stuff that's low on the Glycemic Index. What that means is how quickly will your body turn a certain food into sugar, and the slower the better.

Also, try and eat SOMETHING every 2-3 hours. Pack some broccoli in your lunch, and snack on it while at work, if you can.

Drink water. Cut the sodas, cut the beer/booze. Milk is also good, but don't drink a ton, it's a bit fatty.

DO NOT totally deprive yourself of those "bad" treats. I could eat Doritios all day, but they're bad for me, so I try not to eat 'em, however when I get cravings, I'll buy the the smallest bag I can find and enjoy. If you don't enjoy a few things you eat, you're enver going to keep your eating habits straight.

Keep up with those, and you'll start slimming out real quick. Best of luck to you!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As far as biking or any exercise for that matter you will lose weight faster by doing intervals. Mix in short sprints throughout your ride. And do the same if you ever run. If you are just starting to exercise just keep at it and you should notice you're not running out of breath as easily each time you ride. Have fun and good luck!

mtbr member
    First of all I want to say congrats on the determination to improve your life. Ive only been riding for about 3 months and I cant begin to tell you how great it feels to get back into shape. You can do it!!! These forums have been great inspiration for me so sit down and read every once in a while, it makes you want to go out and ride. As for the stationary bike, I would say put that off until the weather gets colder. The thing that I love about this sport is that I forget Im exercising which is awesome. If you are like me when I get on a treadmill or stationary bike all I do is stare at the clock and think about how I want to stop. When Im riding the next thing I know ive been riding for an hour and still ready to ride more. Just go outside and ride, road, trail, whatever. I also had intentions to lose weight but you know what, I havent got on a scale for 3 months because I dont really care, I feel alot healthier, I lift 2x a week and I havent felt this good since basic training. I am sure that in 6 months I will realize that ive lost a bunch of weight but that is no longer my main goal, i just want to be healthier. As for eating, ive been drinking one serving of protein drinks before every meal and the advantage is that I feel full alot quicker, get something that tastes good and you can mix with water not milk. I also noticed that the more I ride the more my body doesnt want to eat crappy food, itsl like its telling my brain "hey, if your going to push me like this, get me some real fuel!". I rode 70 trail miles in 4 days last week because my wife was out of town and thats all i want to do with my free time. Sorry for the long post but I feel that this can be a life changing hobby for you like it has been for me, good luck!!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimiMimni
    I've lost about 50 pounds in the past 6 months.

I did it through diet and exercise, spending about 10 hours a week in the gym throwing around barbells, and dumbbells.

Cut back on your carb intake. You need some carbs for energy, try eating fruit, and whole wheats, stuff that's low on the Glycemic Index. What that means is how quickly will your body turn a certain food into sugar, and the slower the better.

Also, try and eat SOMETHING every 2-3 hours. Pack some broccoli in your lunch, and snack on it while at work, if you can.

Drink water. Cut the sodas, cut the beer/booze. Milk is also good, but don't drink a ton, it's a bit fatty.

DO NOT totally deprive yourself of those "bad" treats. I could eat Doritios all day, but they're bad for me, so I try not to eat 'em, however when I get cravings, I'll buy the the smallest bag I can find and enjoy. If you don't enjoy a few things you eat, you're enver going to keep your eating habits straight.

Keep up with those, and you'll start slimming out real quick. Best of luck to you!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word, brother. I also shed 55lbs in the last 7 months. I did it by:

1) Counting calories - A pain, but I got used to it. Burn more than you take in, and the fat will fly off you.
    2) Eat six meals a day - This is the part I love the most. By eating smaller meals more often, you are energized all day and your metabolism will be on fire(#1 fat burner).
    3) Drink a gallon of water a day - Fat also leaves your body through urine, breathing and sweat. Drink chilled water, your body burns more calories just heating the water up to room temp.
    4) Do cardio(biking) 3-4x week - During your ride, toss in a few all-out sprints for 8-10 seconds, for max calorie burning. Ever wonder why sprinters have much better bodies than long-distance runners?
    5) Eat clean - There is zero guilt by eating veggies, fruit, and nuts. The more nutrition your food has....the more the body thrives, by getting leaner. Don't get me wrong, I still love junk food......but a few seconds' pleasure is not worth a lifetime of regret.

When you lose your desired weight- reward yourself with an uber-light bike, like I did!!

song of the saw-whet owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    -
    2) Eat six meals a day - This is the part I love the most. By eating smaller meals more often, you are energized all day and your metabolism will be on fire(#1 fat burner).
    3) Drink a gallon of water a day - Fat also leaves your body through urine, breathing and sweat. Drink chilled water, your body burns more calories just heating the water up to room temp.
    5) Eat clean - There is zero guilt by eating veggies, fruit, and nuts. The more nutrition your food has....the more the body thrives, by getting leaner. Don't get me wrong, I still love junk food......but a few seconds' pleasure is not worth a lifetime of regret.
    this stuff is right on. not just an opinion. Especially the smaller 5 or 6 meals a day to speed up the metabolism. works magic like david blaine! All bodybuilders will tell you Nutrition/diet is at least 80% of the equation. regardless of if you hate the stereotypical bodybuilder, Its the same damn concept of losing fat and getting leaner, just to a different extreme. If you are able to throw in a little weight training also, which is extremely beneficial to your goal and helps speed up the fat loss, make sure you do your weight training _followed_ by about 20min of cardio exercise. This will speed up your progress even more! Do _not_ do the cardio workout before weight training. Since the body will use the glycogen stores up first before it taps into fat reserves for fuel. So if you just do 20min of cardio, all you are doing is burning your glycogen in those 20 minutes. Since your muscles can only use glycogen for energy, you want to do the weight training first. Then, when you go to do your cardio, your glycogen will be expended and you will be tapping into the fat for fuel right from the get go. Do the cardio first and you dont burn your fat, and then you have also used up your glycogen that your muscles need to work, so you entire workout becomes counter productive.

Don't think of the change in habits as temporary in order to lose fat. It should be a permanent lifestyle change. After a few weeks it will become second nature to hopefully as you start to see and feel the benefits of your changes.

- this message brought to you by a former fat guy.
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here is what I am doing to lose weight, it may or may not work the same for you.

I started back riding in February of this year. I am 5'-10" and weighed 209 pounds then. I tried to ride at least 50 miles per week. I would ride 2 mile loops through the subdivisions around my house, doing more and more loops as I got in better shape. However, the loops I rode in the subdivisions weren't very hilly. Yeah, it got boring sometimes riding the same loops, but I am sure it was less monotonous than riding a trainer in the house. The only real change I made to my diet was not going out for fast-food every day for lunch at work. I allowed myself to go out for lunch only one day a week, and I would take a turkey or ham sandwich to eat the other days. I still eat all the same foods I did, but I attempt to eat less of them at a meal.

Now, I weigh 184 pounds (as of this morning), well on my way towards my goal of 170 pounds. I can ride 40 mile trips (on roads and paved trails) averaging 12.5 MPH on my 32 pound mountain bike with knobby tires. When I started riding, I told myself that when I got down to 185 pounds, I could reward myself with a new bike to replace my 2002 Trek 4300. I saved the money I would have spent on my fast-food lunches and that allowed me to get a new Fisher Tassajara last weekend.

I know that I could have worked harder and lost more weight faster, but I didn't want to make it miserable on myself to where I would get discouraged and quit. I did have weeks where I didn't loose any weight, but I kept at it, mostly by telling myself I was building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. I still enjoy riding, looking forward to getting home from work to jump on my bike, especially now that I have the new one. I am sure that once I reach my goal weight of 170 pounds, I will still want to keep riding.

I wish you the best in your endeavor!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank all of you thus far, and keep it coming! Its wonderful to hear all of your inspirational stories. I do eat the many small means and I have started to eat MUCH healthier than I used to. To the person who said I didn't get here eating regualr portions, you are very much correct. I now consider most any meal when I go out to be 2 meals or more. I refuse to just "eat all my food" thats how I got here. I hated to waste food but I realized it wasted me instead. I eat until i am full and stop. That is not much food to be honest. I am normally full after 3" of a subway sub. Thats 4 meals out of one of those. Unless I didn't get a chance to eat. If I am starving.... I can eat a entire 6" sub... then I am stuffed... I used to be a hamburger crazy person. I still eat maybe 1 a week vs. 4-5 or more. My friends have been amazed by how little and how much better I eat now. I will try to ride around the neighborhood instead or do some jogging or running. That allows me to save the money i would spend on the stationary piece and put it towards a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know this is a bike forum, but if you don't mind I'll suggest an alternate means of exercise.

Per unit time, running/jogging is the best aerobic exercise for burning calories...as oppossed to biking, or say swimming, you get the most "bang for your buck"...or "bang for your time" in potential weight loss. Given that time is your issue, running would be ideal...spend 30-60 min on days you can't ride (giving yourself days to rest, of course). Running is excellent at building endurance also--after I started running I could outlast any of my friends on the trail.

Now, when you do have time to devote to biking, DO IT. Not only do you evidently prefer biking, but the advantage biking has to running is that's it's more enjoyable and recreational in nature. This means you can make a day of it...get to the trails early in the morning and ride to you heart's content. By the time your tired of riding for the day you've been burning off the fat for hours and really had a good time!

I've never been the nutritional guru, so stick with what these guys above suggested in that area. The most important thing is that you stay health-conscious and active in whatever your approach may be. You'd be surprised how much easier things get after that first time you push through your comfort level.

Quote Originally Posted by GarfieldOne
    I know I don't have time to ride outdoors each day
    can you make time?
    there's 24 hours in a day, and in the summer there's a lot of light (5am to 9pm).
    is your day really that full with vital stuff that there's no time to hop on a bike for an hour (or go for a run, or go to the gym)
    when dividing up a day (work, eating, sleep...etc), there shouldn't be much that comes in front of ones personal health...imho.

mtbr member
    losing weight is easy. Here is the magic secret for doing it: Eat fewer calories than you burn! Good luck!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

LCI #1853

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by GarfieldOne
    Ok, I am 6' tall and weigh 269 right now. First goal is to get to 260, then 250, then 240, etc... I know one of my biggest obstacles right now is I run out of breathe REALLY easily. Does anyone have any advise for loosing weight while riding or using the bike? Would it be worthwhile to invest in one of those things that prop up the back wheel so that I can use it like a exercise bike each day? I know I don't have time to ride outdoors each day but I can put the bike on one of those and maybe it would help me build up the stamina and breathing technique to keep going much longer. Any advise would be much appreciated!
    In simple terms:

Eat Same. Pedal More.

To lose weight faster,

Eat Less. Pedal More.

Most folks can get by with a daily diet of around 2000 to 2500 calories, depending on your level of activity. To lose weight, you need to increase your activity and/or exercise to a point where you create a caloric deficit -- e.g., you're burning more calories than you're taking in via what you eat. If you can do that, you'll lose weight.

Cycling is a good, low-impact way to increase your exercise levels. Rolling along at around 12 mph, you burn around 450 calories per hour. To build your skill and endurance, put your butt on your bike and go ride. Going over to the post office? Ride your bike there. Going down to the corner store? Ride your bike. Pretty much any local trip of two to three miles or less can be done on your bike, and in not much more time than it would take to drive. Need to take stuff with you, or bring something back? Get a backpack, or maybe you can install a rear rack on your bike so you can transfer the weight load to the bike. You still get to pedal, though, and the added weight 1) makes you stronger and 2) burns more calories toward your deficit. If circumstances allow, ride your bike to school, or to work. If distance/traffic is a factor, maybe you can drive part way, park & lock your car in a commuter lot, and bike the rest of the way.

Watch your diet. If you're an active cyclist, there really isn't any "bad" food, but there is a difference between high-quality fuel (complex carbohydrates, proteins, unsaturated fats) and low-quality fuels (refined, processed sugars & starches, saturated fats, etc., what we usually call "junk food.") Watch what you eat, because your diet is the fuel your body & your bike run on...

Lastly, be patient. All that weight quietly sneaks up on you over time, and it comes off even more slowly and painfully, at times...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I hadn't really thought of it like that. My wife got a bike too. I think I just need to tell her I am going to ride around town and join if she wants. I guess I got comfortable with my routine. I need to step out of that. Either walk, run, or do something....anything each day. Ok, minus the next few days... I am sick and then some....

Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    can you make time?
    there's 24 hours in a day, and in the summer there's a lot of light (5am to 9pm).
    is your day really that full with vital stuff that there's no time to hop on a bike for an hour (or go for a run, or go to the gym)
    when dividing up a day (work, eating, sleep...etc), there shouldn't be much that comes in front of ones personal health...imho.

Ride like you stole it!
    Best way to lose weight is cut back on carbs, junk food, caffiene(soda, coffee, etc.), soda(drink no sodium no caffiene no sugar soda is fine, like Diet Hansen's natural soda or diet rite), sodium, etc. I quit drinking caffeine/sodium soda cold turkey on Dec 29, 2007 and I only drink sodium free, caffiene, natural soda, tea, water, no sugar added juices, G2, etc.

When you make your meal plate, use half plate for vegies, 1/4 meat, and 1/4 starch on your plate. Eat like protein bars, veggies, fruits between meals.

Faceplant King
    Jun 2008
    I know exactly where you're coming from. About a year and a half ago I was close to 190 lbs (I'm 5' 7 and a half"). I found that I was consuming three major meals that totaled over 2,000 calories a day. I made my meals much smaller and more frequent and consumed about 1350 calories per day. The main catalyst, however, was when I started running. I know this is a biking forum, but running got me in the cardiovascular shape that allows me to bike for seriously extended periods of time. It will help with your breathing as well. Cut down on saturated fats and don't eat complex carbs (breads, pasta) after 7:30 or 8PM as you have little opportunity to burn them. Cut dessert out of your life completely and don't snack.."meal." It really works. I lost 40 pounds in about 6 months. Diet and exercise man, it's as simple as that. I also had trouble with cravings and overeating. I just got control over time, but I know others who started writing down what they ate to keep track. Another tip: if you don't know or can't estimate how many calories are in a food...don't eat it. Be sure. Another good trick is, if you like it, celery. It's satisfying to eat and there's very little to it. Hope I helped. PM me if you need anything. Good luck!

Nick

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I have asked plenty of women(not just single) about fat men, and they all tell me unless they know them really well- fat guys barely register on their radar. But they also say- take away the fat......and 90% of men become "instantly hotter!!!" So, there is another incentive, guys.....lol

mtbr member
    One other thing that I did not think to mention before which you brought up.

Your wife. Is she heavy as well? I know from experience that weight gain is contagious. If you want to make this weight loss a life long experience and not just a phase you need to both be on the same page. Encourage her to ride with you..or if that is not her cup of tea maybe she can run...or walk...or go to the gym. If she is in good shape already just disregard this post.

My wife has always been what people would call a bit chubby..despite the fact that I was always in great shape. Then a couple years go by and voila...I am a chubby guy. I was very unhappy with myself and many things in my life. We had a heartfelt but difficult talk and now she just finished a half-marathon...and is looking great. The best part about it is she loves the way she looks and the compliments she gets which helps her self esteem. When we plan trips now we think about adventure trips..with lots of physical activity.

I believe a fella with a wife that loves to go outdoors and excercise is a very lucky man indeed. And a much better chance of succeeding at maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My wife is overweight also. She did agree to go biking with me and she has a bike now also. It took a tragedy for her to finally want to get healthier. Me, I have wanted to but she never want to go to the gym or anything else. The worst part is it is harder for her to loose. I know she sweated and ran hours a day working in a kitchen and barely ate and the weight stayed on. But she also lost when she did a few daily walks a while back. So I am confident that when we can ride it will go great. I plan to try and bike tonight if I dont do some serious cleaning. I know I need to make time. That and I hope it doesnt rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    One other thing that I did not think to mention before which you brought up.

Your wife. Is she heavy as well? I know from experience that weight gain is contagious. If you want to make this weight loss a life long experience and not just a phase you need to both be on the same page. Encourage her to ride with you..or if that is not her cup of tea maybe she can run...or walk...or go to the gym. If she is in good shape already just disregard this post.

My wife has always been what people would call a bit chubby..despite the fact that I was always in great shape. Then a couple years go by and voila...I am a chubby guy. I was very unhappy with myself and many things in my life. We had a heartfelt but difficult talk and now she just finished a half-marathon...and is looking great. The best part about it is she loves the way she looks and the compliments she gets which helps her self esteem. When we plan trips now we think about adventure trips..with lots of physical activity.

I believe a fella with a wife that loves to go outdoors and excercise is a very lucky man indeed. And a much better chance of succeeding at maintaining a healthy lifestyle.