mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Advice on Selling and purchasing a bike

Hello ! So I currently am riding a 2014 Giant Talon 5 medium with upgraded handle bars Contact XC Riser Handlebar (Handlebars) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States 690MM
    Also upgraded to shimano hydraulic brakes BL-M396/BR-M395 .
    Total I have spent around 800 dollars including the bike itself and the upgrades.
    I had the opportunity to ride a orbea Rallon x30 2015 while in Spain this last month and I fell in love with that bike.
    I have been looking for a comparable bike in the 2k range. I found the Airborne Toxin for 1500. However, all the reviews say it is a park/DH bike I ride in flagstaff arizona as well as an hour north of Los Angeles. I would say my budget is $2,000 out the door.
    Also, how much would I be able to sell my current bike for? I have ridden it quite a bit but it is in decent shape.

Orbea x30 RALLON X30 ? Orbea

Airborne Toxin Airborne Bicycles . Toxin

Fat-tired Roadie
    Your bike's probably worth about half what you paid for it now. The brakes and handle bars are unlikely to get you any more on a sale. If you like it and you don't already have a whole bunch of bikes and good storage and no room for more, just keep it.

I wouldn't buy a full suspension bike I couldn't demo. They're not all created equal and it takes reasonably good design in the rear linkage to get something that rides well.

Orbea's site is confusing, at least on a smart phone. I don't know what the Rallon costs. Normally, my suggestion would be to just buy one of those. Or, better yet, demo some other bikes in that class and buy your favorite. $2000's a bit lean, but the bike industry works harder and harder every year not to be profitable and since 2016's are starting to appear, you might get a good deal on a '15. Any '14s will be on closeout too, of course.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I wouldn't call the Airborne Toxin a comparable bike. Definitely a DH bike. That's the kind of bike you take a ski lift or shuttle to the top of a mountain and ride down. If you are planning on actually pedaling the bike around then look for something else. The Orbea website lists the x30 at $3249.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Miner View Post
    Hello ! So I currently am riding a 2014 Giant Talon 5 medium with upgraded handle bars Contact XC Riser Handlebar (Handlebars) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States 690MM
    Also upgraded to shimano hydraulic brakes BL-M396/BR-M395 .
    Total I have spent around 800 dollars including the bike itself and the upgrades.
    I had the opportunity to ride a orbea Rallon x30 2015 while in Spain this last month and I fell in love with that bike.
    I have been looking for a comparable bike in the 2k range. I found the Airborne Toxin for 1500. However, all the reviews say it is a park/DH bike I ride in flagstaff arizona as well as an hour north of Los Angeles. I would say my budget is $2,000 out the door.
    Also, how much would I be able to sell my current bike for? I have ridden it quite a bit but it is in decent shape.

Orbea x30 RALLON X30 ? Orbea

Airborne Toxin Airborne Bicycles . Toxin
    Like said above, The Toxin is a shuttle you up ride it down bike.

Not knowing what you like to ride or what you are really looking for. Coming off a Giant have you looked into another Giant? say the Trance 27.5 3? its 2100.

flagstaff bike revolution sells Giant, Salsa, Santa Cruz and Kona. They also have Demo bikes. I just got done Demoing a Santa Cruz 5010c up there in Flagstaff. fun bike.. Maybe give them a call and see what they got.
    With the 2016 bikes coming out. You can wait till maybe Aug ( not knowing your time frame on wanting a new bike) or maybe buy a used one. people are starting to sell there 2014/2015 to get the new 2016's due to some have had changes ( Trek's, Santa Cruz warranty/build kits)

good luck..

If you are in the phx area I got some xtra bikes you can come along for a ride with us and test out
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Toxin is not comparable to the Orbea. The Toxin FR/DH, is single ring, likely weights a shit load, and will be misery on climbs.

You live in Flag, check shops there and Sedona for Demo/rental bikes in the 4-6" travel range, maybe you will find something.

The used market in SoCal and AZ can be great and for $2k you could get something nice, but it is a risk if you don't know what to look for.

For new at that range check out Giant. Also, check JensonUSA for close out sales on complete bikes, you could drive over to the Riverside shop when in LA and check it out first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I actually got my bike at flagstaff bike revolution. So if I bump up my price range to 2500 for a good enduro bike like the orbea rallon x30 which as someone said is 3200 bucks. I like to do some decent sized jumps as well as some downhill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you have upped your budget then there are many more options. Below is an example of a sale bike at Jensonusa. They also have some Yeti on sale. They sell Orbea but I don't see the model you are interested in.

Intense Carbine 275 Jenson X1 CC Bike > Sale | Jenson USA