1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Advice on replacement stem

When looking at bikes I was undecided on a 19 vs 20 inch frame. I found a great deal on a 2012 Rocky Mountain Element 10 with a 20.5 in frame (630mm top tube and 115mm stem) and ordered it. For reference I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam.

After riding a few times I'm debating if I made the right frame size choice. When I sit on the bike it feels like it would be more comfortable with the handlebars closer. It could also be that I need more time to get used to the bike.

Looking at the spec sheet the 19 in frame has a 25mm (~ 1 in) shorter top tube. It also mentions the stem sizes range from 75mm to 115mm, which looks to depend on the frame size.

With that said I'm looking at buying at 80mm or 90mm stem. Since an Easton stem and handlebars came on the bike I was going to purchase another Easton. How do I know which model is a comparable weight and will be the right size to clamp on the fork tube? Any thoughts on which length stem to try first?

mtbr member
    Stem: Easton 8 x 75-115mm

Easton make EA 30, 50, 70 and 90 model parts.

Select one in your price range I would choose a 50 or a 70 with a 8 rise.

Maybe buy a "cheap" 100mm stem and see how that feels and then buy a good stem. Stems can often be found on clearance for very little money. If buying from a LBS they might let you try different sizes before buying.

I am your height. I have a bike with a 630mm TT , 100mm stem and a zero off set seat post and 685mm wide bar.

Seat to Bar drop also effects effective reach.
    handlebar width effects effective reach.
    have a look here http://www.brightspoke.com/t/bike-stem-calculator
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info! Your TT and bar width matches my bike. My seat is 41" off the ground and the bars are 1" higher. The Easton EA50 looks like the model that is on the bike now. I'm leaning towards a 90mm stem. I have a feeling an inch will make more of a difference than it sounds.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat as you. I'm 6'2 with a 34ish inseam as well. I bought a Giant Large frame which is 20.5 but it always just felt too big for me. Even with an 80mm stem and the seat moved forward, it still seemed as if I was reaching. I ended up selling the frame and got a Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 in a 19" and I noticed the difference on the trail right off the bat. Felt better control and more comfortable. Ideally, a 19.5" frame would work the best for me, but not many companies make a 19.5" and its always a good idea to go smaller rather than bigger.