1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119

    Advice for old BMXer on what MTB to get (generally speaking)

    I want a bike.

    I am 39. I rode BMX all through Jr. High and High School and beyond. I was pretty rad. I could get some good air and do some flatland stuff. Never good enough to really compete or anything. But after I got older and got married and stuff, I really didn't ride a lot. I would get into it more or less at different times. Actually I have always loved riding. Even just riding my bike around the city is a lot of fun. Well my BMX bike, which wasn't great, got stolen, so I have no bike.

    Now I am seriously wanting to get another bike, and I am thinking about a "mountain bike".

    Being into BMX I have obviously always ridden a single speed rigid bike. Now I am not sure what I want to get. I am sure I will start off by just riding around the city, but I want to be able to thrash around a bit. Bunny hop, wheelies (or manuals), front pogos (hopping up and down on the front wheel with the front brakes held), go into the desert, jumping driveway curbs and even probably some small dirt jumps. I just want to go wherever I want. I also would not mind eventually doing some more serious riding on trails or mountains or whatever.

    I should also say that I feel like I would prefer a chromoly frame, but I am not absolutely sure on that. I just trust chromoly.

    So I am not sure what direction to go in. I am pretty cheap, so I like the idea of finding something used. For some reason I like the idea of a hardtail (which I guess just means front suspension). I saw a Kona Shred online, and that looks cool, but maybe it's more than I need right now.

    I have this DVD called Search For The Holey Trail where these dudes are riding these seriously tough mountain bikes. they actually look like skinny motorcycles with no motors. That looks awesome, but I doubt I could (or would) afford something like that.

    Let me know what you think.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    It wouldnt hurt to know how much you are willing to spend. You make it sound like you will never ride anything foolish again because your too old!!

    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_komodo3.html

    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    Well, I am thinking I can spend $200 - $300. I know that sounds dumb, which is why I am thinking used. Department store crap is out of the question.

    What do you mean by "foolish"?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    344
    That budget won't get you anything that will hold up to what you described.

    I would look for an urban/dirt jumper hardtail. I don't think you'll need or like a rear suspension based on your experience.

    That budget will *almost* get you a DK General Lee cruiser BMX though...

  5. #5
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by AchrisK
    What do you mean by "foolish"?
    Riding like you used to but with a little age added.

  6. #6
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    I thought about a cruiser. What's the difference between a cruiser and a "single speed"?

    Looks like I may need to adjust my price range and look into the urban/dirt jumper hardtails.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    344
    A cruiser BMX is just a bmx with 24" wheels. all BMX bikes are singlespeed by default, I guess.

  8. #8
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Riding like you used to but with a little age added.
    Yeah, I have to admit that with age I probably also have more fear of injury. Probably more due to not keeping up with riding than just pure age. But I don't plan to just ride up to the Geritol stand . I actually want to build some jumps in the desert are near where I work so I can mess around at lunch time. And hopefully, I will get into some more interesting trail and street riding.

  9. #9
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    A cruiser BMX is just a bmx with 24" wheels. all BMX bikes are singlespeed by default, I guess.
    Yeah, I know about cruisers, but there is a whole "single speed" forum on here (mtbr.com) and assuming that is referring to something other than BMX cruisers, I wondered how THAT differs from a BMX cruiser.

  10. #10
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Mostly it's like Scarpa said Cruiser in the BMX ranks is a 24in wheel. Singlespeed in the MTB arena is 26 or 29in wheel.

    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...t-monocog.html



    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_komodo1.html



  11. #11
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,811
    Quote Originally Posted by AchrisK
    "single speed" ... I wondered how THAT differs from a BMX cruiser.
    I think most "single speed" bikes are bigger than cruisers and they are built with mountain bike parts. The people in that forum section seem to do mainly XC/trail type of riding.

    I think the Dirt Jumping/Urban crowd uses bikes that are even closer to BMX.

  12. #12
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    Yeah, I am leaning towards an urban/dirt jumping bike.

    So, what is a common range of gears for dirt jumpers? I am noticing some DJ bikes have as few as 16 gears.

    Also, are Dirt Jumpers so different from standard mountain bikes (geometry, gears, etc) that riding trails or mountains on a DJ will be a problem?

    thanks

  13. #13
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    DJ/urban run different combinations depending on what you plan on doing. If you are going to be doing trail riding also i would suggest 18 speed bike.

    Yes DJ/AM/FR/XC all have different geometry & spec's. A bike like the Jamis Kamodo can be riden on the trails for XC but not very far,it will start to get uncomfortable. The TT is sloped very steep for better manuverability in the air for stunts. Something like the Norco gives you a bike that is more rider friendly yet can handle jumps & drops.

    http://www.norco.com/ts/pass/norco06...foot&col=green

  14. #14
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,811
    Lots of dirt jumpers seem to go for single speeds (maybe even more so in Europe than in USA).

    Bikes for longer distances tend to be longer (frame and/or stem) than bikes meant for "stunts" and tight cornering.

  15. #15
    Metal
    Reputation: AchrisK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    Oooh, that Bigfoot is nice!

  16. #16
    born to chill
    Reputation: flowmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by AchrisK
    I want a bike.

    I am 39. I rode BMX all through Jr. High and High School and beyond. I was pretty rad. I could get some good air and do some flatland stuff. Never good enough to really compete or anything. But after I got older and got married and stuff, I really didn't ride a lot. I would get into it more or less at different times. Actually I have always loved riding. Even just riding my bike around the city is a lot of fun. Well my BMX bike, which wasn't great, got stolen, so I have no bike.

    Now I am seriously wanting to get another bike, and I am thinking about a "mountain bike".

    Being into BMX I have obviously always ridden a single speed rigid bike. Now I am not sure what I want to get. I am sure I will start off by just riding around the city, but I want to be able to thrash around a bit. Bunny hop, wheelies (or manuals), front pogos (hopping up and down on the front wheel with the front brakes held), go into the desert, jumping driveway curbs and even probably some small dirt jumps. I just want to go wherever I want. I also would not mind eventually doing some more serious riding on trails or mountains or whatever.

    I should also say that I feel like I would prefer a chromoly frame, but I am not absolutely sure on that. I just trust chromoly.

    So I am not sure what direction to go in. I am pretty cheap, so I like the idea of finding something used. For some reason I like the idea of a hardtail (which I guess just means front suspension). I saw a Kona Shred online, and that looks cool, but maybe it's more than I need right now.

    I have this DVD called Search For The Holey Trail where these dudes are riding these seriously tough mountain bikes. they actually look like skinny motorcycles with no motors. That looks awesome, but I doubt I could (or would) afford something like that.

    Let me know what you think.

    Thanks!
    Check it out brother:
    http://www.unrealcycles.com/
    http://www.gackbmx.com <- US made, chromoly, custom avail

    My personal favorite still under construction, the on-one Gimp:
    http://on-one.co.uk/index.php?module...position=49:49

    Have fun!
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •