1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New question here. Advice Needed: Custom Trek 4500

Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Finally making the plunge buying my first mtb after a year on the roads.

Just looking for some advice on this bike Customized Trek 4500 For Sale in Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim from ososcreamo

Are the components much of an improvement over the stock Trek 4500 (2010 model I believe)?

I can get it for 350/290/$470

Cheers!

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    The components are most certainly a major improvement over the stock Trek 4500; and the price looks more than fair. However, none of that matters if the bike doesn't fit right. If it's right for you in size and fit, then go right for it!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

They are pretty modest upgrades overall. The fork probably having the most dramatic difference, but the R7 is hardly a high end fork. Dude can't expect to get that much money back for his upgrades.

Used helmets are worth zero. You don't know its history.

A pair of used stock tires? Only slightly as much.

The tires he has on the bike now are just tires. You can't make stupid claims that they are "literally some of the best tires you can buy." That is subjective, at best. Those tires would be worthless on the trails I rode this afternoon with the leaf cover. Not enough tread. The gloves may or may not be any good. I don't know. Either way, I wouldn't want them. He is better off selling them separate. Moto style gloves are too f'n hot for me. And when it gets cold, I reach for real cold weather gloves. Softshell material, typically.

This is how that bike was equipped originally.

2010 Trek 4500 - BikePedia

Crankset upgrades are extremely low value. A "huge" improvement for a crankset offers a REALLY marginal improvement compared to other parts, especially for the cost. That's a "meh" change for me. What is a "custom" bottom bracket? I have no idea what BB is on there. Could be absolutely zero improvement over the stock one, for all I know.

Changes in the grips are one of those things that confer zero extra value. Another "meh" change. The next owner is likely to change the grips and saddle, anyway.

Unfortunately, it still has 8spd drivetrain. Yes, it has hydros, but it has inexpensive hydros. Very slight improvement over the BB5's. Another low value upgrade.

The improved fork is nice to have, though.

Bike sold new for $729. At absolute best, the stock version of that bike would be worth about half of its original sale price. Most of the upgrades/add-ons don't add much to its current value, but I think the fork adds some. Resale on that particular fork is hard to pin down. I tried to research it and couldn't find THAT fork for sale. I found a lot of Manitou R7 MRD, R7 Pro, and other models available. I don't think many folks are selling the base R7 fork. Because of that, I'm going to think it's a low-resale value item. No more than 1/3 of its original value.

Doing some math, I'm coming up with 350 euros as a high estimate. At this point, you don't know how well it's been maintained or how it was ridden. Is it going to need a new chain and cassette soon? Has the fork been maintained? Does it need new seals? Are the hubs in good shape? Have the rims been dinged up?

I'm not afraid of buying something that might need work. I bought a very high end bike for my wife that had been ridden hard and may have needed a lot. I was comfortable buying it from the seller in another state (I could not see it in person before purchase) because we negotiated a price that took those issues into account. That bike would retail for over $7,000 most likely (carbon frame, full XTR Race drivetrain and brakes, Fox suspension, high end DT Swiss wheelset), and I got it for $1700 plus shipping, and it came with more useful extras like tools (grease gun and spoke wrench for the special nipples, extra spokes, extra derailleur hangers, and an extra set of grip locks). I could have put a couple hundred dollars of service into it and still come out ahead. I was fortunate in that it was dinged up, but all the moving parts were in outstanding shape. The seller sent me lots of pics and detailed information about the bike to make me comfortable that that would be the case.

I would make a low offer before settling on the high offer for this Trek.

Redcoat
    Here's link on pricing if stock. I wouldnt add much for the upgrades.

2010 Trek 4500 - New and Used Bike Value

mtbr member

Re: Advice Needed: Custom Trek 4500

I just sold my 2010 4500 for $250. Granted it didn't have the "custom upgrades" but it was in excellent condition. I'd say talk him down to $350 at least, I wouldn't pay a dime more than that.