1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Advice for first Bike

Hi,
    I also posted in the "what bike" forum but didn't get much response. It looks like I have narrowed it down to a few choices. At first I though I would be getting a Rockhopper Comp Disc, but then I also found the Rocky Mountain Fusion which seems very well equipped for slightly less than the Rockhopper. Now after surfing through a few forums, the Trek 6000 seems like an appealing choice for less than the first two.
    Please help me decide. I'm hoping to make my decision by tonight, and be on the trails tomorrow.
    Also, if anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. i'm 5'8" and about 160 pounds so i'm not to worried about being to heavy for any of the components.

Who are the brain police?
    Have you tried these bikes? They seem to be fairly close in value, so I'd pay close attention to fit. Spending some time in the saddle of each should help you decide.

(On a personal level, I like Specializes offerings.)
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was planning on testing them tonight and hopefully coming to a decision shortly after.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I finally managed to test ride a few bikes over the last couple of days. I found that I didn't like the RM Fusion or the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. Now I'm torn between a Kona Caldera and a Trek 6500. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with either or want to make any other reccomendations.

Thanks

There's no app for this.

because there are

100's of bikes out there, check the reviews here 1st. Both bikes are very good, but here's some advice you might be able to use:

1) Fit is key, get the one that fits best.
    2) frames are frames at this price; you need to pick the best fork as the second part of your analysis.
    3) keep in the back of your mind to choose the best bike that offers best performance, value, and service (LBS) as the 3 key factors.

Don't rush if you're not sure, take your time.

Good luck, Jim

mud washes off
    I was looking at the Trek 6500, the Kona Kula (which is basically the next model up from the caldera) and the Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo. I also looked at pretty much every other major manufacturer out there. I settled on the KHS Alite 3000. Picked it up a month ago and I'm loving it!

http://www.khscanada.com/viewbike/404/

It seemed to me to be the best bang for my buck, seeing as my LBS was able to move a bit on pricing! It's pretty well complimented, and I like the fit, which is really important. I'm 5'10 and 175, but I have pretty long arms and legs, so I went with the 19" after much consideration!

One other thing is you don't see a whole lot of them out there, so it's not everyone else's bike!

I also agree with JimC, don't rush your decision, take your time! You're far better off being happy with your ride than disappointed with it!

local trails rider
    JimC has it:
    - Fit: good riding position, especially not too long or short
    - Decent fork: at least adjustable for your weight, damping adjustments are a plus.
    - Service at the shop.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just looked at the specs on that KHS Alite 3000. It looks pretty well stacked for that price point. At $1099 its also right at the price point I was looking at. How much was your local LBS able to go down on price?
    Thanks

mud washes off
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK33
    I just looked at the specs on that KHS Alite 3000. It looks pretty well stacked for that price point. At $1099 its also right at the price point I was looking at. How much was your local LBS able to go down on price?
    Thanks
    They went down to a little under 950 before taxes, but that was a cash deal! I talked to some other shops, and they priced the bike at 1200 and said they were willing to "drop the price" to 1100 plus tax. Some shops were flexible on pricing, and others had prices set in stone. It definitely pays to know your pricing, and shop around!