Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice on Buying a New Bike!!!

941 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bob13bob 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just coming from another forum and noticed that there are are a lot more users here hence I thought this would be a good place to start getting advice on choosing bike.

So as far as what kind of rider I am.....well i dont really know since I'm kind of a first-timer the last time I rode a bike was probably 15 years back and that too for a VERY short time....so putting it simply I am NEW to biking....I will be using the bike mainly to move around campus and during the weekends so in total I guess I would be biking only 5-10 miles a week in an urban environment (Detroit Midtown).....I have read a lot and decided that rather than spending money on a new bike I would be rather better off buying a used bike specially since my budget is VERY LOW (<$150 max). The reason why so low is so I can experiment with a used bike to get a hang of being able to control it and on reading other posts it was a better choice than trying to spend $150 on a new bike at a departmental store.

Please feel free to correct me if my thinking is wrong! Maybe a year or two down I can think of getting a better bike....

But is it even possible to get a decent entry level bike at that price? What year do I look for and is there anything special to keep an eye on...so far on craigslist these are what I managed to find do you guys think any of them in particular are better than the rest...

Diamondback Hybrid - $135

Trek 850 Mountain Bike - $85

Trek 830 Mountain Bike - $200

Trek 3700 Bike - $150

Trek 820 - $60 (rear derailuer, snapped in half)

Giant Acapulco - $185

Specialized-Hard Rock - $185

Bianchi Ocelot - $150

GT Outpost Trail Mountain Bike (94)

GT Outpost 26" Bike - $100 (looks like a 2000)......this was the one I am planning of checking out tomorrow...talking to the seller and sending more detailed pic it looked like it was taken care off.

See less See more
#2 ·
all ridiculously overpriced except the 3700 which is just overpriced. keep shopping or pick up a new $350ish hardtail on bikesdirect or get the costco northrock 26" bike which is $379 i've been searching oregon area superhard for the last week and 95 % of postings are way over priced, only 2 bikes i've seen are fairly priced.

#5 ·
For many of those bikes, even 50% is too high. They where entry level bikes 13 years ago. Their new price with warranty and perfect condition was 300. Now they are old tech, and bad condition, no warranty. If they were serviced recently including shock, they might be worth pursuing if they gave u an excellent deal.

The new bikes I listed are a much better option compared to those used bikes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.