1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Advice:BMX BIKE

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile Advice:BMX BIKE

I am purchasing my seven year old Grandson his first 20" BMX Bike;
    any suggestions? I would like to stay under $200.

Thanks!
    RV

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hyper has come out with a new bike that's getting good reviews. The bike is selling at walmart for $100. The goal was to get a reasonably built bike you could take to a BMX track to mass market. Here's a link to a thread on vintage bmx
    http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/...43669&hl=hyper
    Redline makes a few in the $200 range you should be able to find locally. You can also check and see if you have an ABA or NBL track locally and go see if someone is trying to sell an old bike.
    For what it's worth I bought bmx bikes or my kids after they'd had mountain bikes for a while. After about a month of riding on the BMX track their mountain bike riding improved tremendously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks,
    He won't be doing tricks or anything like that, as this is his first bike w/o training wheels, but he wants one "like" the other kids. I just want a well built bike.

RV

/|\
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010