1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

adjusting XX1 derailleur on new bike after 50 miles...

I'm guessing what I'm experiencing is cable stretch? I have about 50 miles on my XX1 drivetrain and on a ride today while shifting to easier gears I got a lot of drivetrain noise and it would take awhile to complete the shift. On previous rides shifting was super smooth/fast. I'm new to working on derailleurs, I tried to fix this by backing out the barrel adjuster on the shifter a bit but it had no effect. I should add I changed the chainring from a 30t to a 28t but don't see how that would effect shifting performance. Any write-ups online or advice?

Thanks
    Nick

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Park Tools ,you tube ,and Sheldon Brown. Cables don't really stretch ,the cable ends compressand bed in, you were on the right track ,just needrd to go a little farther. There should be very little to no slack in the cable when in the hardest gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What your experiencing is normal, your derailleurs are going to need adjustment from time to time. Hard to nail down the reason, even a really big hit can sometimes change things. You could of ran out of adjustment at your barrel, plus you don't want the barrel extended to far.

If I were you I would watch some youtube vids on the subject, its really easy to adjust them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fastest way to solve this if its a new bike is to set up a time where your lbs tech can adjust it while you watch and he explains things.
    If you want to do it yourself check for derailleur hanger bend and twist. For the cable stretch it is the housing sections becoming shorter as the ferrules on the end of each section get push more firmly onto the housing. If you have multiple housing pieces each with two ferrules the ferrule ends can add some drag. Going to a lined full length housing cuts that number to two. Using a slick coated stainless cable further lessens drag for cleaner shifts. I use the $19 Novara/Jagwire kit from REI it makes a big difference.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com

My understanding of the XX1 gear is that it's less sensitive to barrel adjuster tweaks, so you have to turn it comparatively more than with older groups.

Also, your terminology, "back it out" can be taken either way. I prefer (and it seems most people I talk to also), to talk about it based on the effect on cable tension. "Tightening" the adjuster adds more tension to the cable. "Loosening" the adjuster reduces the tension on the cable. Assuming it was set up with the correct tension when it was built/installed, you'll need to tighten the system up to account for those bedded ferrules.

did you buy a bike with XX1 new from a shop? If so, you should have at least one free tune you should take advantage of.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    My understanding of the XX1 gear is that it's less sensitive to barrel adjuster tweaks, so you have to turn it comparatively more than with older groups.

Also, your terminology, "back it out" can be taken either way. I prefer (and it seems most people I talk to also), to talk about it based on the effect on cable tension. "Tightening" the adjuster adds more tension to the cable. "Loosening" the adjuster reduces the tension on the cable. Assuming it was set up with the correct tension when it was built/installed, you'll need to tighten the system up to account for those bedded ferrules.

did you buy a bike with XX1 new from a shop? If so, you should have at least one free tune you should take advantage of.
    Custom build from competitive cyclist. LBS is out, I prefer to work on my own bikes. New to working on derailleurs but not bikes (Built my own dirtbikes, etc) I'm going to dig into it today a little bit more, I think I may have fixed it last night haven't had a chance to ride it yet though. If not I'll just start from scratch on the adjustments.

Thanks
    Nick