1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    STINKY TOFU
    Reputation: dragonhead08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    369

    Addicted like crack!

    First I'm a total noob. After years of being nagged by my friends to try biking I finally caved by buying a used Gary Fisher RS-1 for $250 last month. Except for the saddle and aftermarket rock shox fork the bike looked almost brand new. Not bad for a 92 bike.I hadnt ridden a bike since i was 9 back in the bmx days so I didnt know what to expect my first time out, well it was um...interesting. I thought my legs were going to fall off after the first 20 minutes, and I thought I was going to puke. But, I refused to give up and after a few weeks each ride getting longer and longer. The minute I was done I couldnt wait to get back out. Now except for the derailer being out of adjustment the Fisher was pretty good on the road. But my first time out on the dirt trails it beat me up pretty bad. So I decided to go FS. I know my choice was'nt the best out there but the price was good and I read some pretty good reviews. So I picked up an 07 Mongoose Teocali Comp for $899. no tax (store special). This is where I knew I had a problem. next thing I know I'm getting all sorts of gear;hydration packs, gloves, mini pumps etc. I already swapped out the factory seatpost and saddle for a wtb rocket pro and Thomson elite post. The weight difference was night and day. Now I'm planning on swapping out the stem and bars to a Thomson Ritchey combo. I'm at the point now each day at work I'm trying to figure out if I can leave the office early enough to get a ride in. Heres the sick part, I was originally going to sell the Fisher to raise cash for a new rear shock (I'm on the fence Fox or Rockshox) but after taking the Fisher out on the streets this afternoon I'm actually thinking of converting it over to a street bike. Its actually a really good looking bike and its pretty light. My wifes gonna kill me if she knew all the plans I had in my head.

  2. #2
    WTF
    Reputation: spartan034's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    292
    Wow. Glad you have the $$$ for all that. I'm in the exact same situation, but I'm in high school, therefore broke. Although I am about to order a Manitou Minute 3 in a couple of weeks

  3. #3
    I Love my Rize
    Reputation: danoalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    763

    Good job! Yep your infected

    No known cure only mega riding will ease the symtoms. I have had this afliction since 1997 and it only gets worse with time. When I go to bed at night I drean of riding endless single track I work on my bike EVERY night even though it doesn't need a thing. Damn I have a problem and I can't seem to cure it or want to. I don't like driving my car anymore ever if I can get away from it. Heck this winter I biked through the whole winter every day in temps as low as -20 F and loved every second of it. Buying killer studded tires just made thinks worse So welcome to the addition and feed it as much as possible as that is the only way to ease the craving.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

    RIGHTY on a LEFTY

  4. #4
    STINKY TOFU
    Reputation: dragonhead08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    369
    Bit off more then I can chew today. Tried to tackle a hill that was just way too much for my begginer abilities. I understand about losing interest in my car. Oh, I dont have the cash. I have to save for it. I need to learn more though about working on the bike, myself. Working on a car I know, a bike is completely foreign to me. But I figure I can always ask question here.

  5. #5
    not your average bear
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    70
    dragonhead--I remember when I was starting out I would need to take a 5 minute break every 20 minutes or so. Then the condition built up and after a few months I couldn't believe I ever got off the bike to rest. Give it time, you'll be owning that hill!

  6. #6
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Hi, my name is Ian and I have a problem.

    I just built myself up a street hardtail(seen in my profile) that is valued at just around $3500 CDN.

  7. #7
    shocks, pegs... lucky!
    Reputation: loungesuitlarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    72

    welcome to MTB Anonymous

    its been 2 days since my last ride....
    LOL
    The kids love spinning their wheels... it's the best ;-)

  8. #8
    PMBA Beer Guy
    Reputation: ricocpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    132
    I just started myself also. Went out for my first off-road ride this past weekend with a buddy of mine. He kept asking me, do you want to keep going???/ I'm like, YEAH! So we road for about 2 and a half hours. I get home and decide to clean the bike and take it out for a spin to "air dry"......dammit, I can't stop!

    Then I found myself on the internet last night, buying shorts, water bottles and cages, multi-tools, etc. I have a problem.

  9. #9
    STINKY TOFU
    Reputation: dragonhead08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    369
    lol! Thats exactly what I did. My wife finally had to yell at me to come in for dinner. I felt like I was 9yrs old again getting yelled at by my mom.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    My name is Jim and I'm a bikoholic. It's been 5 minutes since I last polished my Teocali. 2 minutes since my last glance out of the window to check weather conditions for my ride later today.

  11. #11
    shocks, pegs... lucky!
    Reputation: loungesuitlarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger
    My name is Jim and I'm a bikoholic. It's been 5 minutes since I last polished my Teocali. 2 minutes since my last glance out of the window to check weather conditions for my ride later today.
    LOL... nice
    The kids love spinning their wheels... it's the best ;-)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    76
    I had a dream about proper gear ratios last night, and I dont even ride SS...

  13. #13
    Brian
    Reputation: AzTracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    First I'm a total noob. After years of being nagged by my friends to try biking I finally caved by buying a used Gary Fisher RS-1 for $250 last month. Except for the saddle and aftermarket rock shox fork the bike looked almost brand new. Not bad for a 92 bike.I hadnt ridden a bike since i was 9 back in the bmx days so I didnt know what to expect my first time out, well it was um...interesting. I thought my legs were going to fall off after the first 20 minutes, and I thought I was going to puke. But, I refused to give up and after a few weeks each ride getting longer and longer. The minute I was done I couldnt wait to get back out. Now except for the derailer being out of adjustment the Fisher was pretty good on the road. But my first time out on the dirt trails it beat me up pretty bad. So I decided to go FS. I know my choice was'nt the best out there but the price was good and I read some pretty good reviews. So I picked up an 07 Mongoose Teocali Comp for $899. no tax (store special). This is where I knew I had a problem. next thing I know I'm getting all sorts of gear;hydration packs, gloves, mini pumps etc. I already swapped out the factory seatpost and saddle for a wtb rocket pro and Thomson elite post. The weight difference was night and day. Now I'm planning on swapping out the stem and bars to a Thomson Ritchey combo. I'm at the point now each day at work I'm trying to figure out if I can leave the office early enough to get a ride in. Heres the sick part, I was originally going to sell the Fisher to raise cash for a new rear shock (I'm on the fence Fox or Rockshox) but after taking the Fisher out on the streets this afternoon I'm actually thinking of converting it over to a street bike. Its actually a really good looking bike and its pretty light. My wifes gonna kill me if she knew all the plans I had in my head.
    I completely understand your situation. I had been wanting to get back into riding for ages but up until about a year ago I didnt make the kind of money needed to have an nice bike. So one day I was surfing the free section on craigs list and found an intense tracer for about $600 bucks. Went and picked it up, did some work on it with a friend and now im hooked. Anyways, The bike ended up being a massive money pit! I Ended up replacing almost everything on the bike, added a Complete XT group, rp3, talas, thompson post and stem, new bars, lock on grips, new seat, new tires. So lots of work and about 3k later I have my tracer hooked up!

    My buddy that I ride with thinks I need help, I ride almost every day, The guys in my LBS know be by name, and My spending is totally out of control! I already canceled my cable cause I haven't really watch tv in about two months. Yesterday I rode for 5 hours at ASU just jumping stairs and anything I could find to drop off. Today its south mountain and im sure sat or sunday will have some riding involved. But hey I guess i would be sitting on the couch and getting fatter by the day, so im glad i got the bug!

  14. #14
    STINKY TOFU
    Reputation: dragonhead08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    369
    I'm so feelin what your going through. What kills me is thats its been raining the past three days in my area. I'm jonesing for a ride like nobodies business. I tell you it feels great to get this bug at an age where most guys are getting lazy and being couch potatoes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    help! - I just went into my LBS to buy a reasonable new set of bars
    Came out with a 100 Monkey Lite CNT

    I'm addicted.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,579
    holy crap if you're gonna do that atleast get the stuff at decent prices online! qbike.com, spadout.com for deals. Make sure it's not the gear you're hooked on though!

  17. #17
    STINKY TOFU
    Reputation: dragonhead08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by fanger
    help! - I just went into my LBS to buy a reasonable new set of bars
    Came out with a 100 Monkey Lite CNT

    I'm addicted.
    wow

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    Just got back from the ride with the new Monkey Lite's. Yeah, they're good...shaved a bit of weight off the bike and they've speeded up my responces to the trail. we've got a lot of flint and chalk downhill stuff here and quick jerks with the bars are needed. the monkeys are very fast, you can blip them to get out the way of stuff. so all in all...a good buy. I'm definately not going to be spending loads of money on everything for this bike - just in the areas that'll improve it for the rides I do here. (Hampshire, Southern England)

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    452
    Yeah I'm still on an old upgraded Haro Escape hardtail until my Rush 4 comes in next week. One of my co-workers asked me how much my new bike was gonna cost and he looked at me like I needed my head examined when I told him 2K. It's difficult to understand until you are actually into the sport. I also have some new cleaning supplies, apparel, camelbak and tires coming in the mail as we speak. A little free income + mountain biking = broke again.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    I went out agin today on my fav trail (about 10 miles some shingle, lot of mud and a couple of very fast Downhills.
    I'm still well happy with the bars - worth every penny (cent ;-)
    I'll leave the bike as is for a while (Mongoose Teocali Super with extra bits).
    I have to tell myself every hour or so - "It's fine as it is - no more cash"

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    I have convinced my wife, that having more than one bike pays off in long run. Actually, I hinted, I'd have either more than one bike or less than one wife. It worked. And it was true. When you buy a bicycle, you may consider the frame a free gift. Parts bought separately are always expensive. Second bike, ridden when possible, lets you replace parts less often. Besides, you won't like commuting on a FS 5" travel mountain bike, it is both inconvenient and draws too much attention, not always desirable. Second bike also helps you upgrade your main rig cheaper - like younger brother getting worn clothes after his older sibling.
    I cannibalized my 3d bike instead of selling it. The parts have already saved me way more than I would have received for the whole bike. And there still are some parts waiting for their turn to have second life.

  22. #22
    Dirt Abuser
    Reputation: Bail_Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    718
    OP has the Mt. bike bug now... It's going to be a bunch of $$$, but a lot of fun...

  23. #23
    STINKY TOFU
    Reputation: dragonhead08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    369
    ooh, I like your thinking. I was going to sell my Gary Fisher for parts money, but keeping it around for street riding would be nice. It has that racer lean forward position thats lends pretty good for street riding. But then again if I could get a couple hundred bucks for that thing I could get more toys for my new bike. hhmmm, what to do?

    FYI. Last night was around mid 70's in San ramon, absolutely gorgeous weather, so I couldnt help but go down to the garage and spend a few hours screwing around with brake lever and shifter placement. Didnt make much of a difference but it gave me an excuse to tell my wife I needed to go on test rides around my condo complex.

  24. #24
    One-Winged Angel
    Reputation: Sephiroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    63
    The same happened to me. I went mountain biking a little more than a year ago at Kingdom Trails in VT... a few weeks later, I bought a Trek 4300 for $320.00. I replaced the front fork with a Manitou Trace (all I had the money for) and threw on a new seat (the old one killed my butt), but since then, all I can think about is riding.

    I just moved to Southern VT as well, in case anyone wants to get together to ride. Despite my year riding, I've never had someone to hit the trails with, so I'm still pretty much a noob.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paqman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    lol! Thats exactly what I did. My wife finally had to yell at me to come in for dinner. I felt like I was 9yrs old again getting yelled at by my mom.
    Lol, those were the good days. And what biking is all about to me.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •