mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Add oil to NEW fork?

I never thought about this because I bought my last fork from a person who told me it was read to install and ride...but I just bought a Retail Box, New, Rockshox Reba RL (2014 Version, 120mm travel, Solo air) and see nohing in the manualsaying that I have to add oil before first use.

Do these come with oil already in them?

Thanks

M

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    yup.
    Well I guss that kinda makes sense! Wouldn't want some bumblefinger screwing up a new item before getting some use of it

Thanks!

Mark

mtbr member
    Basically yes, it should be good to go.

Operative word there my dudet is 'should'. Personally, if you're confident enough about doing it, I think it's a good idea to whip the lowers off and check. That way you'll know for sure.

Remember that if you do remove the lowers you will loose all of the oil in there so you'll need to replace it anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I haven't added air yet, and I'm guessing that if I turn it upside down and use caution that I might be ok to check without getting it all over, (should there actually be oil in there.)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by malucky View Post
    I haven't added air yet, and I'm guessing that if I turn it upside down and use caution that I might be ok to check without getting it all over?
    Not really. It's more or less impossible to check the oil volume in fork lowers without loosing it. And yes, there should be oil in both lowers. It lubricates the bushings and seals.

There is also oil in the damper but if that was low your lockout wouldn't work.

The air chamber is separate again. It will have red grease in it.

If you Google you'll find some videos on YouTube that show you how to open up the fork etc. It's reasonably simple but if you're not confident, leave it alone. The fork is probably fine anyway. It will need serviced in a year or so though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I found some videos of this where they worked on some similar models and it looks fairly straightforward.

I guess that next year will be the real test

Mark