1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Acessories for 2013 Stumpjumper

Hi mtbr,

So I bought a 2013 stump jumper and was wondering if anyone has some good links to accessories that fit this bike well. I am not looking to upgrade components to just storage and fun items. Any help would be nice.

Comfortable seat
    Pouches for storage
    Hand pumps
    Pedals
    Anything like that

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Assuming that you already have a helmet, bike specific shorts, shoes, gloves and eyewear. Other things are a necessity like spare tubes, spare derailleur hanger, multi-tool, a hydration pack for storage.

For a hand pump, I use a Lezyne Pressure drive. Fits into my hydration pack and easy to use. Plus I like the look of the Lezyne products.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Shakester thanks I been looking at all the hand pumps and really like the looks of that as well as it having a hose to connect. Thanks for the information. I am starting to build a basic kit. The bike has tubeless tires on it and was looking at how to build a repair kit for that but I think I am going to just keep an extra tube and go with that if I need to on the trail. I don't think I want to try and mess with the sealant, Co2 charger on the trail just yet.

Anyone know of some good links to videos on how to use your multi tools on chains, and derailleurs on the trail. I am not all that handy so I am thinking I will need a lot of practice when not under stress :0) Thanks love this site for help.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like parktool.com. It's well illustrated and I never have the patience for Internet videos. Way too many establishing shots of pump tracks or something and then they blow through the part on how to fix a chain too fast for me to see what's happening.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    In regards to the seat...I suggest spending a little time on the stock seat and get over that initial saddle soreness (assuming you're a newcomer to the sport) and then decide whether it works for you or not. As for pedals...if you go for platform pedals, get something with an alloy body and replaceable pins at the very least...something lightweight, thin, and with sealed bearings is a plus. If you go for clipless pedals, there are a lot of great choices, but I always ran Shimano SPD's before I switched back to platforms. You should also consider a good pair of shoes if you do platforms.