mtbr member
    Jul 2011

About to pull the trigger on a "Trail" bike, $3k tops, thoughts?

Alright so it's about time to upgrade my trek 3700. I'm looking for a 26" full sus, spending no more than $3k. I ride in the San Antonio area, so a lot of single track but some good rocky technical stuff mixed in, and I'll probably do some of the XC races for fun around too. No huge downhills really. I'm looking for 120mm-140mm of suspension, a good warranty, and lots of smiles. I wish I could test ride them all for a month, but that's not happening. I've been shopping by bike shops in town--

Everyone seems to have pretty similar components

Shop A (Sells at MSRP, gives 1 year unlimited maintenance, best rep in town, I know all the mechs):

12' Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26" - $2750 - 140mm travel
    Pros: 2x10, tubeless out of box, 12x142 rear, elixir 7 brakes
    Cons: no front TA, proprietary rear shock (not sure how triad ii matches up vs rp2)

12' Giant Trance X2 - $2750 - 125mm travel
    Pros: Front TA, everyone loves Maestro
    Cons: wheels can't be converted to tubeless, no rear TA, elixir 5 brakes

They also sell Santa Cruz bikes, but they're a bit pricey and only have a 2 year warranty which worries me. The Blur LT is kind of a wild card.

Shop B (Sells a bit below MSRP, good rep, don't know anyone there)

12' Trek Fuel Ex 8 - $2500-$2650 - 120mm travel
    Pro: DRCV front/rear shocks and front TA, slx brakes, good wheels, tubeless
    Cons: lowest travel, no rear TA

There's also a Cannondale and Jamis dealer in town, though I'm not familiar with the shops. I'm leaning pretty heavily to the stumpy, but this is a lot of money and I'm kind of a research whore, and I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully I'll be on my new ride within a month. What are your thoughts guys??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can get an NOS 2010 Nomad with a Lyrik for that. Thats what I would get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd ride them all. Right now, Im in the same search and its frustrating to choose which one is the best. In the end, Im ultimately going to choose which frame fits me best.

Now, as far as shops and MSRP. There is wiggle room there. I have a few LBS's that sell Specialized and one refuses to budge while the other will knock off the MRSP about 10% to help offset the tax on the higher end bikes. Come end of the model year, one goes down about 15% and the other is around 30%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I'd ride them all. Right now, Im in the same search and its frustrating to choose which one is the best. In the end, Im ultimately going to choose which frame fits me best.

Now, as far as shops and MSRP. There is wiggle room there. I have a few LBS's that sell Specialized and one refuses to budge while the other will knock off the MRSP about 10% to help offset the tax on the higher end bikes. Come end of the model year, one goes down about 15% and the other is around 30%.
    Yeah the dealer here hasn't even discounted the 2011s yet let alone order 2012s. They've had the same 11 stumpy comps on the shelf for months now though, I don't think anyone here is buying high end bikes. I can order it through them myself no problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I'm really looking in the 120-140mm range. Not really an AM rider

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you can wait, I'll link up what I think is a great deal on a bike. Just need to order mine first since my luck, you'd get the last one of the one I want. I have that kind of luck. Should be ordering in a day or 2.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd shop around then. Ive even ventured out a little bit to see how the other LBS treat their customers. Its quite obvious that some shops really just dont care but give the feeling they do.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    That's a good deal bing!

OP, I'd go for Trance X or Trek. If you really want to spend money at the lbs you know then all the power to you.

Can't really go wrong with the choices you've put up there anyways

mtbr member
    What is "TA?"

Workin for the weekend!
    Thru Axle?

mtbr member
    all the local shops in my area have discounted the 2011's and had 2012s in stock..

The 2011 EX8s are going for $2000

Almost bought one but decided on a 2011 Cannondale RZ 120 with the lefty instead (also $2000)

If I hadnt been able to find a large RZ to test ride, (I refuse to buy a bike I cant test ride first), I would have went with the EX8

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    most trail bikes 5" to 5.5" from the big manufacturers are not going to come with a thru axle in the rear. and the giant with its solid rear triangle isn't going to benefit from it anyways. Why cant you convert the giant to tubeless? Because the rim are not UST? That something a little gorilla tape and Stans can fix. But to answer the OP. Trance X all the way, only because I have one. any that ride all of them and whichever one feels the best buy it. you really cant go wrong with any of those choices.

mtbr member
    Giant, Giant, Giant.

I own one so im a bit biased...
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was in a similar boat as you earlier in the summer. Demo'd/rented a Trek EX8, Ibis Mojo SL and Santa Cruz Blur LT. The very high standover height on the Giant freaked me out a bit (no room for error when bailing).
    Ended up going with the Blur LT for that extra bit of travel, which here in Utah is handy. The Trek was a very close second.
    Depending on what you will be riding, the shorter travel Trek might be a better fit.

That said, you can get a carbon Blur LT for a good price right now: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LTc Bike - R AM - 2011 from Hucknroll.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    I was in a similar boat as you earlier in the summer. Demo'd/rented a Trek EX8, Ibis Mojo SL and Santa Cruz Blur LT. The very high standover height on the Giant freaked me out a bit (no room for error when bailing).
    Ended up going with the Blur LT for that extra bit of travel, which here in Utah is handy. The Trek was a very close second.
    Depending on what you will be riding, the shorter travel Trek might be a better fit.

That said, you can get a carbon Blur LT for a good price right now: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LTc Bike - R AM - 2011 from Hucknroll.com
    Damm you, I have to wait til Monday to pull my funds together, this is what I was getting, hopefully they still have them then. That's why I wasn't posting it til later
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

MTB B'dos
    All I'd say is to stick to the shop where you now the people and have a reputation, down the road I'm sure it'll be worth more than the few $ you saved on the initial purchase. One thing, never been to Austin, so don't know trails, but if you plan to race a 140mm is gone be a bit much if you're serious about it, I'd limit it to 120mm travel. Had a Trance and loved it, if I was going to race would look at the AnthemX.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Picture Unrelated
    Which one do you like riding best?

Doesn't matter how much it costs or what parts are attached to it or who makes it, if you like riding it then it's the best bike you can own.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Nickel Havr
    Ride em all.... Thats the only way to know whats best for you....

For me? It was a Santa Cruz Nickel...
    It climbs like a hardtail but floats over everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    So many good options available at that price point. Demo them all!

mtbr member
    Alright so it's about time to upgrade my trek 3700. I'm looking for a 26" full sus, spending no more than $3k. I ride in the San Antonio area, so a lot of single track but some good rocky technical stuff mixed in, and I'll probably do some of the XC races for fun around too. No huge downhills really. I'm looking for 120mm-140mm of suspension, a good warranty, and lots of smiles.
    I'm in the same boat Moose! Been taking a look at buying new bike as well.

Will any shop you know well let you test/demo any of the bikes that you're interested on the trails?

$ 3k would be alot of money for me and to really know what bike is for you, you should test it out. IMO that would be one of the benefits of buying local.

Also have you tested/looked at any of the 29rs? You can get a very nice bike for your budget and they may surprise you with the ride, plus from my own experience they are more beginner friendly in that you can get away with mistakes on technical parts of trails due to bigger wheels. What ever you wind up getting post the pics! We like pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
    I'm in the same boat Moose! Been taking a look at buying new bike as well.

Will any shop you know well let you test/demo any of the bikes that you're interested on the trails?

$ 3k would be alot of money for me and to really know what bike is for you, you should test it out. IMO that would be one of the benefits of buying local.

Also have you tested/looked at any of the 29rs? You can get a very nice bike for your budget and they may surprise you with the ride, plus from my own experience they are more beginner friendly in that you can get away with mistakes on technical parts of trails due to bigger wheels. What ever you wind up getting post the pics! We like pics
    Actually I'm looking into the stumpy fsr 29er now too! Im going to start test riding bikes from shop A. I think they have an epic, 26 stumpy and maybe 29 as well.

I'm not looking to win any cat1 races otherwise I'd be going with a HT29er. I'll be sure to post up what I go with in the next month!

So, thoughts on 29 stumpy fsr comp?

mtbr member
    The 2012 29 Stumpy FSR comp is really, really nice. I demo'd the 29 Camber comp on the trails for 2 days and was very impressed. The MSRP base price between the Camber comp and stumpy is only about $200 so I'm really looking hard at the stumpy as it looks like a better value. Its so hard to resist that candy apple red color

Also test ride the 29r Trek Superfly AL if the shop has one. Base price is cheaper and it rides really well. IMO it's a pretty good value in that it has Fox shocks at that price point. It doesn't look too bad also. It's got the Halloween theme of black and orange.

Whatever you get, make sure you get the right size and fit.

Oh be sure they set up the shocks to your weight when you test ride them. It'll be apples to apples comparison on the feel between the bikes.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Finally!

Damn it's been a while but I finally got my bike! I ended up with a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26 (which I just picked up last night). Here she is on her maiden voyage--

banned
    Feb 2012
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i rode a trance once and some have told be its not the plushest of the three but a great pedaler. the maestro has a great pedaling platform. doe the stumpy have the brain? i here the later ones work really well. the stumpy has the most suspension. if your trail begs for some more suspension id go stumpy. if your trails are mellow id go trance. not sure on the trek. i just reread the whole thread looks like you chose. nice very nice.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 02-11-2012 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice Bike

And props for taking your time and making sure you got the right bike for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosington View Post
    Damn it's been a while but I finally got my bike! I ended up with a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26 (which I just picked up last night). Here she is on her maiden voyage--
    can you blow that pic up some? it's so small and hard to see the bike

j/k

Looks good man, good choice

mtbr member
    what is that...that is covering the rear shock?
    Keeps out the dirt/dust out? where can i get one?

congrats on the stumpy!!!

2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Wahoo
    2012 Specialized FSR Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member

Moosington what made you go for the 26 vs the 29?