1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

About Me and My new bike (pictures and videos inside)

Hi my name is Nick I'm new to the forum I meet Daniel (daleksic) on a trail in Santos, FL witch told me about mtbr.com. Anyways, my dad got me into MT. biking when I was 12 or 13 and we used to ride a couple trail up until I was about 16 and started driving and I never touched a bike again,I'm now 21 and up until the begining of July,2008 when I picked up my old Giant Rincon and started riding around the streets and then from their back to the old dusty trails again. Well I started going into the bike stores just looking around when I came across the new Rincon and I wanted it sooo bad. Since I work and save money for school and have a car payment I didn't have much money for a new bike but my dad liked the idea of me getting back into biking again so he helped me out and bought the bike for me, in which I'm very thankful for! since the day I got back on the bike I feel like my life evolves around my bike and the next time I'm going to take it out on the trails!..

...Sorry for such a long story I don't blame you if you just skipped over all of that and looked at the pictures and videos.

Here are some videos of me riding in Santos, FL

mtbr member
    Nice bike.
    And when you ride look forward more and not down as much.

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats on the bike decent components and a great price. I hear those seats are quite uncomfortable though, so it wouldn't hurt to invest in a good pair of biking shorts baggies IMO.

spec4life???..smh...
    Yeah like the bike...

Quick tip if you'll stand up when doing obstacles and such you have an incredibly greater amount of control over your bike and therefor it is much easier, though it looked like you had no problem sittin down, just a tip for harder stuff

BTW if you post picks or vids on here youll always get critiqued...just a fact of life

mtbr member
    ToptoBottom-I have some biking shorts the tight ones that I wear under my blue shorts. Sure do save my buddys that's for sure!!

Spec4life-Thanks for the tip sometimes I stand up sometimes I don't lol..I felt like that part was pretty easy unlike my other friends that fell off right befor there tire touched the wood

I'm still pretty rusty and my other friend used to ride BMX when he was younger and the other two have never even seen dirt befor but we all did pretty well. Taking my g/f out this week, Wed. or Fri. on a bike tail (Snow Hill, FL)

I don't know what shoes are good for taril riding along with jumping some dirt jumps etc.
    Any help would be great. The shoes I use (runing shoes) I kept slipping off from the mud. So let me know what you guys think would be my best bet without breaking the bank.

And anymore tips would be nice too
    Thanks,
    Nick

...idios...
    Flat-soled shoes are generally better suited to MTB pedals, like the kind that skaters and BMXers wear. I tend to wreck mine pretty quickly, so instead of paying full price I always buy my shoes at TKMaxx (is it called TJMaxx in the States?). You may even want to look at changing your pedals. These, along with handlebar/stem, grips, saddle and tyres, are usually the first things that riders will change to suit their riding style and environment.

Enjoy the ride, and welcome to the forums.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    what kind of pedals?..what does a different stem do??

spec4life???..smh...
    Depends if you want to stay on flats or go to clipless. If you wanna stick with flats crank bros 50/50 seems like one of the favored ones but wellgo also makes some good models. Clippless pedals id look at the shimano m520 seriously because of their adjustment and price. Seems they are the best pedal to enter into the clipless world.

...idios...
    "what kind of pedals?..what does a different stem do??"

Pedals come in all shapes and sizes - not literally of course, that would just be crazy - and seeing as they are the part of the bike that we spend the entire ride standing on or pedalling, it stands to reason that we should find the type/design which best suits our preferences. This is an entirely subjective area, and possibly a matter or trial and error until you find something that you feel comfortable with.

The same applies to grips and saddles. Your body contacts your bike in three places; feet to pedals; hands to grips/bars; and butt to saddle. All of these components can and do make an enormous (no exaggeration) difference to how much pleasure we get from a ride due to our comfort on the bike. If you see something that looks good on somebody else's bike when you're out, don't be shy and ask for a feel! One man's perfect saddle is another man's perfect pain in the arse, literally!!

The length of the stem, combined with the width/rise/sweep of the bar, plays a large part in the sensitivity of the steering. It also determines the position you assume on the bike, and how far you need to reach from your saddle to the bar. Even 10mm difference in length or a change of rise can transform the feel of the front of your bike and how comfortable you are with it. Your position on the bike realtive to the centre is imperative for your balance. It's often overlooked that bikes coming straight from the shop are set up for Mr or Mrs Average, two people who don't actually exist.

Your tyres (and their pressures) follow a similar philosophy in that the surfaces that we ride regularly may differ entirely from the surfaces that the tyres our new bike came with were designed for.

None of this is to say that your bike and its components aren't any good or well suited to you, not at all, just that there are numerous little changes that many riders make as they grow more confident and experienced.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    WOW that's a lot of infomation thanks SteveUK. So far I love the bike just when I'm on a trail and my shoes get muddy on the bottom I slip all over the place!

Hardtail Warrior
    That's funny because my brother's name is Nick and we call him SickNick too. He actually has that printed on the back of his hockey jersey lol. I'm glad you're back into biking. I think everyone has that point in their life where you start driving and you completely forget about all the other things that brought you so much fun when you were younger. I know that happened to me. I'm sick of driving now though and just love doing those things that I used to do as a kid like biking.

mtbr member
    lol yeah I had a couple names when growing up and I liked SickNick the best!

So I talked my g/f into going on some trails this Friday or Saturday with me, I will let you know how it goes ;-)

If anyone lives in Central Florida and would like to meet up and bike let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice Giant. The Rincon and Yukon were two bikes i considered when i was shopping around.

mtbr member
    The bike would look a lot better if you removed the reflectors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    The bike would look a lot better if you removed the reflectors.
    Oh belive me I plan on removing the reflectors!..In September I am riding in a MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Bike ride so I want to keep them on till after the ride then I will take them off!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SickNick
    what kind of pedals?..what does a different stem do??
    Price Point has sells some pedal/MTB shoe combos. Maybe start there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRockCop
    Price Point has sells some pedal/MTB shoe combos. Maybe start there?
    Sweet thanks HardRockCop for looking out! I will look into that..

Does anyone use Nashbar.com?? I got my bike rack off of there and my camelbak. They are a great company to work with and the prices seem pretty cheap.