1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

About to buy my first real bike and had a few questions

Hey all,

After 3 months of riding my mongoose dual suspension walmart with my freinds im going to jump in and get a true mountain bike Ive decided on a specialized hardrock based on feel (if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to let me know) and had a few questions:

1. Should i start with clipless pedals or just get a feel for everything first?
    2. If i want to upgrade the fork and the brakes could i transplant those parts to a better frame later on down the road?
    3. Would a full face be overkill for XC? (Thinking about the 661 Comp II)

Thanks!

T.W.O.
    Pedals is up to you it does not take much to get used to.

If you are going to buy a new bike and immediately upgrade, then might as well spend a bit more for a better model with already good components, it's cheaper that way.

Full face helmet is not overkill for XC but you may get overheat on the climb.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i was just wondering if say i bought a fox front later on down the road for my hardrock could i just transfer the fork to a newer frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic07 View Post
    i was just wondering if say i bought a fox front later on down the road for my hardrock could i just transfer the fork to a newer frame?
    That really depends, the steer tube may be different diameter. Or when you tube the tube, it could end up too short for the new frame.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    chances are when you want to upgrade to a fox fork (or similar) you will just start looking at better bikes. that's how it worked for me anyway.

T.W.O.
    I agree with square. What's your budget?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I really have up to $1000 to spend but i would like to keep it around 600-800 range

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was probably going to try and support one of the LBSs in my area but that does give me a good idea of what to look for, Thanks! Does anyone else have any suggestions?

T.W.O.
    I'd say shop around different lbs near you do your homework on price before you buy and don't plan on big ticket upgrades like fork or wheel til your next bike. Or look at bd for better components spec since you are getting a hardtail it makes very little difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you dont mind me asking what is bd? and would a marginal upgrade to lets say a rock shox dart 2 100mm be worth it or jsut save my money? because as far as i have read the fork is the weakest point on a lot of these entry level hardtails... This is really helping me out btw

mtbr member
    Agree with Mimi 100%. If money's an issue it's so much cheaper to get a better bike first, even if you have to wait a little. Haste makes waste.
    Suggestions are good but how you like how the bike feels is the most important. Test ride as many as you can. Your friends, lbs, rent, whatever. Check out bikesdirect website also for some killer deals.
    Don't know how you feel about buying used but I do all the time and you can get alot more bike for the money. Have money left over for gps, backpack, a trip, ect.
    Whatever you decide, shop around, buy as much bike as you can afford, don't look back, and enjoy the hell out of it!
    Round and round we go

T.W.O.
    If you dont mind me asking what is bd? and would a marginal upgrade to lets say a rock shox dart 2 100mm be worth it or jsut save my money? because as far as i have read the fork is the weakest point on a lot of these entry level hardtails... This is really helping me out btw
    We don't speak this name on the forum j/k. It's bike direct.

If you want the best bike for the money and willing to do some homework then get used. Best bang for your bucks just have to hit the book/website and research. Use this link to narrow down the search. Hey for a grand you can probably get some full suspension as well. http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...=d&submit=+GO+

@themeat, thanks for the prop.

turtles make me hot
    Save up a little more money up front and get a Rockhopper or something. Hardrocks weigh a ton and you'll spend more money upgrading the Hardrock and not have as good a bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Yeah the rockhopper actually costs aroun $800 or $650 used for a 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What would be the difference between the rockhopper and the hardrock other than price and weight? Because the components on the rockhopper and the hardrock disc are the same

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Agree with Mimi 100%. If money's an issue it's so much cheaper to get a better bike first, even if you have to wait a little. Haste makes waste.
    Suggestions are good but how you like how the bike feels is the most important. Test ride as many as you can. Your friends, lbs, rent, whatever. Check out bikesdirect website also for some killer deals.
    Don't know how you feel about buying used but I do all the time and you can get alot more bike for the money. Have money left over for gps, backpack, a trip, ect.
    Whatever you decide, shop around, buy as much bike as you can afford, don't look back, and enjoy the hell out of it!
    Agree with haste makes waste. I bought a decent starter bike and immediately upgraded the fork and the brakes, then after two months and spending 800 on the bike and upgrades I end up spending $1300 for a new one. Should have just spent that much in the first place to save me a lot of gas, time and headaches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would either buy the cheapest bike that you can enjoyably ride and ride it into the ground without putting money in to it while putting money away for your next bike OR buy the best bike you can afford.

On the upper end of your budget you can get a "decent" set of components, brakes and fork; you can get out of X4/Alivio, Suntour XCM, tektro novela land.

What I personally would not do is buy a bike and hang really nice components on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    $1,000 is the bottom end of finding a good bike. I too suggest in looking into a used ride. Craigslist can be a great place to score a good bike and I see $2k+ bikes go for under $800.

I recently picked up a 2010 Norco Fluid3 at my LBS for about $800 off. For me it was a toss up between the Norco and Giant Yukon FX but went with the Norco since I got more for my money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree given your price range a good used bike may be the way to go. I had a similar budget to you that kept going up because I wanted a better bike and components, eventually I bought a Cannondale F29 Caffeine for about a 1/3 of what it was new, it had only a few hundred miles on it. It also had about $500 worth of upgrades the previous owner added. So I guess if I were you I would find a used bike in good condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    http://bham.craigslist.org/bik/2515907750.html

What do you guys think about the price point on this gary fisher marlin disc versus a brand new specialized hardrock?

mtbr member
    they are asking way too much for that marlin...plus it's a 21"...how tall are you. nice bike though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    im 5'7" almost 5'8" but the main problem with buying used in my area is that not too many people sell used mountain bike equipment. Ive been looking around for the last 2 weeks and havent found much

mtbr member
    Well, it's your money and time but maybe a drive to an area with more used would be wise.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    im 5'7" almost 5'8" but the main problem with buying used in my area is that not too many people sell used mountain bike equipment. Ive been looking around for the last 2 weeks and havent found much
    21" is way too big. you should be looking at 15-17" bikes.

my area seems to suck for (good) used bikes on craigslist, but there's always ebay. problem is you can't ride first, so you need to know what you're buying...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast