1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

About to buy Gravity FSX 1.0 for my 1st bike, Anyone know any other better deals?

I have been reading to see where to find decent bikes.

Should I get the Gravity FSX at Bikes direct for $329? Or are there better bikes out there?

I dont want to spend more than $400 right now because I need a new car and because I only bike once a week on side walk trails and go to forest trails twice a month. I live in Texas and there are no mountains. I would like to go to forest trails everyday but I do not have time.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Gravity FSX 1.0

Frame Oversized Bearing CantiBeam Link SinglePivot, Custom Formed TIG Welded 6061 Aluminum Front Triangle with Hydroformed tubes. Rear Triangle with replaceable rear derailleur hanger
    Suspension Fork SunTour long travel, preload adjustable
    Rear Suspension KS CoilOver with adjustable preload
    Crankset SunTour, aluminum arms, 170mm, Powershift Rings 22/32/42T
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge Unit, square taper
    Pedals Beartrap MTB with metal cage
    Front Derailleur Shimano FD-M190
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Shifters SHIMANO ST-EF51 24 SPD, EZ Fire Trigger
    Cassette/Freewheel SHIMANO MegaRange 8 speed 11-34T
    Chain Narrow 8 Speed
    Hubs Formula Forged Aluminum Disc w/Q.R. and debris seal ball bearings
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims Maddux DX221, double wall 6061 T6 aluminum, Black finish
    Tires MultiTread 26x2.1 inch
    Brakes Tektro Novela mechanical disc 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Shimano ST-EF51
    Headset Cane Creek Threadless 1.125 inch, contact sealed ball bearing
    Handlebar 20 rise Aluminum
    Stem Comp Aluminum Threadless for 1.125 inch
    Tape/Grip Kraton Black dual compound
    Saddle WTB Speed V Sport SE with LoveChannel
    Seat Post Aluminum alloy MicroAdjust, 27.2mm
    Seat Clamp Alloy Q.R.

THANK YOU

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is a hard tail good for going in forest trails? I want to go to forest trails all the time but i dont have time right now so I thought a full suspension bike would be best for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Get a hard tail
    Why do you want a full suspension? No need from what you posted

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You cannot get a usable fs bike for that money. really. The $88 hardtail at Walmart is as good long-term.
    A hardtail with a good fork is also going to cost you more. Save some for a good bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Any recommendations for a cheap hardtail? I was seriously about to buy a cheap bike at walmart, but i thought the brakes wouldn't be good for me if i go down a hill in the forest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What about this Diamondback bike at ***** sporting goods. Originally 379.99, but now 199.99?

http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...18012.12458051

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The link doesn't work. Bikes at that price aren't really made for trail riding.They are made for smooth dirt roads or riding around the neighbor hood .Your money would go a lot farther on a used bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would look at the ht bikes on bikes direct. You don't want a cheap fs. It's not worth it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Granite Peak 26" Men's Bike - Walmart.com
    This is as good as anything. Ride it and save for a good bike with a decent fork sometime in the future.
    If you buy the $8 insurance you can ride it for a year. Return it anytime for any reason if it doesn't meet your needs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I also live in Texas and got a BD bike, kind of AMA (against mtbr advice). I have been on three trail rides (number 4 coming up today) and probably intend to go further into the hobby than you. However, it remains to be seen how technical I'm willing to get (I'm 48 and I wasn't that crazy even when I was a kid).

Eb is right. It's impossible to buy a bike much under 1000 that meets the rigorous specs of this forum, which may or may not imply more riding and technical riding than I or you intend to do.

At about $600 there's the airborne and the marin on ebay, the principal difference being the better fork.

If I wind up getting deep enough into this that it matters, my BD bike may prove to have been a waste of money. That remains to be seen however. So far, I am having a good bit of fun and getting some good exercize on my BD bike with its crap fork

That said, I am an engineer and a total gearhead and can completely appreciate the upgradeitis and cool bikes that people have on here. I have a tendency to go headlong into something and overbuy on equipment that I often dont take full advantage of. Between that and having to answer to the wife, I kept my tendencies under control with this purchase.