mtbr member
    May 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well aah! weird noises...

here are the noises:
    1. when i'm turning at speeds above 20 mph, i hear a weird "hhhhhhhhh" noise
    2. when my front gear (or is it a cog?) is on 1st, it always makes a grinding noise which is soft when the rear gear is between 1 and 7, and when it is in 7 or 8, the noise is loud.
    3. when i brake at anytime, it makes the "hhhhhhhhh" noise. (it has linear pull brakes) i cleaned the rims and the pads and then did that again and dried it and the noise wont go away. the pads are new. (because the bike's new.)

can anyone tell me why theses noises occur and how to fix 'em? thanks in advance.

Fat Chancellor
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedking
    here are the noises:
    1. when i'm turning at speeds above 20 mph, i hear a weird "hhhhhhhhh" noise
    2. when my front gear (or is it a cog?) is on 1st, it always makes a grinding noise which is soft when the rear gear is between 1 and 7, and when it is in 7 or 8, the noise is loud.
    3. when i brake at anytime, it makes the "hhhhhhhhh" noise. (it has linear pull brakes) i cleaned the rims and the pads and then did that again and dried it and the noise wont go away. the pads are new. (because the bike's new.)

can anyone tell me why theses noises occur and how to fix 'em? thanks in advance.
    1: pick up the front end of your bike and spin the tire as fast as you can, now try turning it back and forth, it is probably either a brake pad against the rim or the tread on your tire rubbing if it doesn't have enough clearance. If it is your brakes, you may need to tighten (or loosen if it is overtight) the spring/metal arm that pulls them back into place after you brake. Sometimes they get stuck in, or don't spring back, and can rub the rim, esp when turning.
    2: It sounds like the front derailleur is not swinging out far enough, it may be leading your chain back in a little which is causing it to rub against the arm of the derailleur/and or pull roughly off the chainring. Or, it could be that your chain is too tight. As far as being on 8 in the back and being on 1st in the front, that is a no-no anyway. It is not good for your drivetrain. It is time to shift. There is are two little screws on your front derailleur for adjusting shifting, try flipping the bike over and pedaling with your hand. Now loosen the outside screw, or the screw that has the (+) next to it and try sifting gears with your hand. Make sure to keep pedaling with your hand as you do this. If the chain falls off, that means you adjusted it too much and need to tighten the screw up a little.
    3:What kind of pads are they? Do they feel grainy? Are your rims machined? Do they have a little warp in them? Are your pads sticking to the rim even when you stop braking? Are you washing your rims down with soap? Do you ride in sand?

My knowledge is not perfect by any means, but these are the things that I would look at.

Best,
    Joe