1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

9yr old cant move front derailer grip shift, replace with trigger shifts or derailer

so as the title says my 9yr old girl cant move the left grip shift on a shimano revoshift its to hard to move the derailer. i think it has high spring tension on the derailer
    my first thought was to replace with a trigger shift, but maybe possibly the front derailer needs to be changed to something better.

i have gone thru and removed the front derailer shift cable to make sure its not kinked, it has a smooth opertation.
    my third thought is thats its a new bike and maybe through use it will lighten up.

so any help would be great
    i am new to this forum and look forward to learning alot
    my next bike will be for me but im 6'5 so cant wait to look thru the tall guy section of the forum

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I would pity any kid trying to learn on grip shifts. First thing I would do would replace it with a trigger shift whether it worked or not.

mtbr member
    Triggers might be better, depends on his hand strength. When my kid was that age he used the palm of his hand to move the lever but eventually was able to deal with the levers just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    so a front derailers spring tension wont change from different makes they are all gonna take some force to move? the left 3 speed trigger will be indexed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd do triggers just for ease..The derailleur controls the stiffness of movement, but triggers offer leverage that grip shifters don't.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Triggers can be difficult too.
    I've found cable and housing does make a difference.
    This Jagwire/Novara run as a continuous will be lighter shifting for front and rear.
    Lined housing and slick coated stainless cable. Superglue before you cut the cable.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com $19.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Simpiler thing to do might be get rid of the front deraileur kills me how kids bikes come with huge front chainrings, keep the smallest ring if she doesnt need the big ring(s).
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i was thinking that perhaps you could suspend the rear wheel of the bike in the air slighly and then let her get on the bike and pedal (the bike would be stationary) and then work with her on getting down the feeling of shifting.

my duaghter is the same age and her bike has grip shifters and she is able to shift.