1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

9mm vs. 15mm QR an others...

As I begin to investigate replacing the fork on my 29er Hardtail, I have some questions on sizes!!

I am 90% sure that my Specialized Hardrock has a 9mmQR axle. If I was to buy a fork that has a 15mmQR axle, will that still work with my wheels?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a longer or shorter steerer tube?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post

I am 90% sure that my Specialized Hardrock has a 9mmQR axle. If I was to buy a fork that has a 15mmQR axle, will that still work with my wheels?

!
    no.

advantage of a longer or shorter steerer is... well you need it to be long enough.
    it's not a matter of advantages or disadvantages really, it either fits or it does not. If it's too long you can always cut it, but if it's too short, there's no way to make it longer.
    I'd measure what you have now and don't get anything cut shorter than that (a new fork will have an un-cut steerer that you would cut down to whatever you need. You only need to worry about it when buying used).

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    The answer to this is maybe, depends on what hubs you have an if there is an available conversion kit from QR to 15mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I guess I was just hoping that one QR would be the same as the next QR. Apparently no such luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Which brings up your next logical upgrade to a light wheel set and light tires You can build just a front wheel with a hub with 15mm ends or convertible between 9mm QR and 15. Or look for used. Dt Swiss has a 9mm thru-bolt RWS that stiffens up a 9mm fork. You need the end caps or a drill press to drill out your 5mm endcaps. ZTR,Dt and the current Stan's hubs are convertible and others like some Novatec models. You also want 160g or less light weight. Front hubs are technically simple- just two bearing and rotor mount unlike the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If upgrading it really is worth to go ahead and go15mm you notice stiffneess right away imo. Do you ever you bounce downhill when you rut, root, rock, etc at an angle? this will help that, will help keep line in rack gardens etc. you might not realize it until you ride 2 similar forks one with one without.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!