1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

99 trek 6000, need help with front derailleur

I know its an old bike but i picked it up for next to nothing. i figured out that the front derailleur is bent, i have no intentions of bending it back, just want to go with new. My understanding is i can use a 9 speed derailleur at the same time i would like to get new shifters. The rear derailleur is a deore and the front is an acera, shifters are shimano. What would be some suggestions?

i was looking at the shimano deore xt m771 for the front, outside of that i dont really know if i should upgrade the rear and what shifters would be good? i would really appreciate all the help and suggestions, im a complete noob with bikes but im very mechanically inclined.

Jose

mtbr member
    how many gears you have in the rear..?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Current Deore and SLX 9-speed will work great and match the rest of the build well. XT is fancier, but overstock can bring all sorts of goodies.

You must use one for 9-speed or less. You must match the pull direction. (Top or bottom.) You probably need to match the swing. (Top or bottom again.) Clamp size has become easier, but still make sure yours is in the list of what the new derailleur will fit.

Is anything else actually broken?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    its an 8 speed rear, the swing thing im not sure on so ill have to look into it. nothing else is broken, derailleur is bent in a way that it never shifts into the bigger ring, no matter what adjustments i do. It looks pretty grimy and it doesnt move that smooth, i thought i would just upgrade. I think i want to just upgrade both derailleurs to newer deore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ok so now im pretty confused. I would like to be able to upgrade the crank set, bottom bracket and do the front derailleur. here is what i currently have, obviously outdated:

front derailleur: Shimano Acera, top-pull/bottom bracket mount
    rear derailleur:Shimano Deore LX SGS
    crankset: Shimano AceraX, 22/32/42 teeth
    bottom bracket: Shimano BB-LP27E, 113mm spindle
    bb shell width: 73mm English

What would be a nice crank set, bb and front derailleur combination? i dont want bottom of the barrel stuff but i know im also limited by this being an outdated bike. (example my 8 speed rear) bike was pretty much free so spending a little is ok with me, but not too crazy as i intend to buy something better down the road.
    Im also confused with the bottom bracket mount front derailleur, would i need some type of spacer for a different derailleur?

sorry for the noob stuff but i really dont know much about this other than i can take the bike apart and put it back together no problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You are opening a can of worms with what you want to do. Most new cranks are either external bearing screw in or press in. Your frame most likely has internal bearing bottom bracket. What would the advantage be with a new crank? There isn't a advantage going to 9 speed either. You need to find out the diameter of your seat tube to find with deraileur you need, look at the deraileur that's on the bike does the cable enter from to top or bottom ,whatever it is ,is what you need. If you are planning to replace the bike sooner that later ,save your $ for the new bike . The upgrades you want do won't make the bike worth more and you most likely won't use them on the new bike. Outdate and broke are two different things I have two bikes from the late 80's they both work great. There isn't much differerance between 8 & 9 speed front deraileurs so you could use either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    problem with me is that im a grease monkey by trade, i cant leave things stock i just have to mess with them. I dont mind wasting money as long as i learn something from working on this bike. coming from the saltwater/reef hobby i dont feel a couple hundred into this bike is a waste, hell i just gave away a $150 fish and did not blink. i dont mind not getting the money back either. With me its the time i spend modding and learning that is valuable. I do see your point though so maybe i will look into buying something newer and only do a couple minor things to this one.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Give the bike a good clean and lube the moving parts on the derailleurs.

Front derailleurs can be hard to setup if you don't know what you're doing.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks for the info, I followed something similar to that, literally my front derailleur is bent, i can see where its bent. i dont want to clean it but i do want to just replace. i would just like to get a deore, My rear is a deore and i like how nice and smooth it is after adjusting it. Do they still sell bottom bracket mount derailleurs? If i go to a clamp on derailleur im assuming im gonna need a spacer on the bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can you post a pic of the deraileur? I wouldn't think that the bike has a bottom bracket mount deraileur. Is it the bracket thats bent or the deraileur? Your best place to make sure you get the right parts is you local shop ,you could take it there and show it to them ,they should be able to tell you what need.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Can you post a pic of the deraileur? I wouldn't think that the bike has a bottom bracket mount deraileur. Is it the bracket thats bent or the deraileur? Your best place to make sure you get the right parts is you local shop ,you could take it there and show it to them ,they should be able to tell you what need.
    According to this it has the Acera E type front derailleur.

Shimano Acera x FD M330 E 1 1 4 Top Pull Front Derailleur | eBay

I doubt that you'd notice any difference in the way it changes gear to a more expensive model that costs 2 or 3 times the price.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think anything that matters about a '99 Trek 6000 has changed. Can you post some pics? I'm curious about the rear dropout, the head tube, and the bottom bracket.

Compatibility can still be an issue, so before you start spending, figure out what the goal for this bike is. Current 10-speed breaks compatibility with previous stuff, and there's a whole other brand of drivetrain to consider too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i put in an order for a bottom bracket, front derailleur and a spacer. Went with a shimano deore xt m770, shimano un-73 bb and a 2.5 mm spacer which according to jenson should replace the space currently taken up by my bb mount derailleur. I did not find this as difficult and in the process learned that if i want to change to a newer crankset it is not a big issue either, just have to be careful and match up parts. thanks for the help guys, i think i might do a couple more things but wont spend much more on this one. I also bought all the tools that i will need, got park tools because i do intend to work on bikes a lot.