1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2005

'99 Schwinn Moab 2-- Upgrade or New Bike?

Somewhat rambling request for opinions on a question that has no right answer. Read at your own risk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought my Moab 2 new in 1999. LX front and back, decent brakes, levers, shifters. Almost all stock, and in mostly good condition for how old it is. No drivetrain problems. I used it mostly to ride to ride around campus and town, with just a few light trails here and there. Although it wasn't used off-road very much, I road the bike a LOT. Recently I've started to get more into singletrack riding, an interest I don't think will go away anytime soon Being a grad student with not much money, I decided to continue using my almost completely stock bike until it fell apart...

Unfortunately, that has started happening rather quickly. My original Rock Shox Judy C finally crapped out on me. It purged all its oil one day while it was just sitting there, and the LBS said it's mostly a lost cause. I'm not too upset about it because the shock lasted for six years of frequent riding with NO maintenance beyond the occassional Judy Butter. Unfortunately, that's not the only problem. The original wheelset (low-end Mavic) is pretty beat at this point. The rear hub has been fixed/repacked/rebuilt (?) twice by the LBS, and the sidewalls are definitely well worn/scratched up by years of braking. The rims are out-of-true most of the time.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I should fix this bike or buy a new entry-level bike (around $600-700?). I'm looking at two shocks--Rock Shox Psylo, and Marzocchi MX COMP Air ($215 and 270, respectively). I also want to put new wheels on it; I'm thinking cheap--Sun Rhynolite with XT hubs, I believe they're around $150. Not quite as importantly, the absolutely no-name, 75-pound scrap-metal seatpost I have on it needs to go, and I'd like to go clipless sometime too... So I'm looking at $400++

My question to you all is this: is my frame (it's in good shape) worth this upgrade money, or should I just save up a couple hundred extra and buy a new (but still fairly low-end) bike? In a few years I should be able to afford a really nice bike, but for now I need something to ride. I feel like it's kind of a waste to buy a whole new bike now when I plan on a new bike in a few years, but I also don't know if my current ride is worth all that extra money. Any suggestions for an even cheaper fork that's at least a step or two above a W-mart special?

I appreciate any thoughts.

P.S Any thoughts on CB Candy clipless for a clipless virgin? Someone told me to stay away d/t no tension adjustment.

mtbr member

Good job!

keep the frame .

Dirt Burner
    My suggestion is to save and buy a new bike with the components that will serve your needs already on it - then save your old frame and convert it to a single speed, they are a blast. I recently converted an old steel frame that I had to SS and it is great for just running around on.
    I believe there are people who disagree with my beliefs. I don't believe they are wrong. I know they are.
    - Ted Nugent

So Much To Break, So Little Time

Domestic Fowl
    The Moab is a decent frame. I think I would lean toward putting some nicer components on your current frame if it is on good condition. For the $600-$700 you're looking at spending on a new bike you could have a so-so new bike or a really nice Schwinn Moab. You can turn that Moab into a really nice bike with some good components.

I would highly suggest that if you buy a wheelset to get a set with disc hubs and rim brake rims. This will allow you to use the new wheels for discs or rim brakes. Your frame probably doesn't have disc tabs, but your new fork probably will. You can run a disc on the front and rim brakes on the back, if you want. This isn't uncommon. Also, you can use the new set of wheels on another bike with discs or rim brakes in the future. Paying an extra $20 for the option now is better than paying another $200++ down the line sometime if you want to change over to discs. Just an FYI, the Rhynolites are a good sturdy rim, but they're relatively heavy.

As for forks, either fork shold be a nice upgrade to what you were riding. I'm personally partial to Marzocchi.

Now, throw on a set of XT shifters, an XT rear derailleur, a new set of cables and you've got a pretty nice setup. If you've got another $70 you can put an Avid BB7 mechanical disc on the front.

That'll be a much nicer bike than any $700 bike you'll buy new.

As far as pedals, I would probably warn you off the Candy pedals for the reason you stated.... No adjustment. Pick up an inexpensive set of wellgo spd's for $40 (supergo.com).

My assumptions are that you're doing some internet shopping and that you're capable of doing a good portion of the work yourself. There's no rocket science involved in installing wheels, derailleurs, and shifters. If you need help with mechanical stuff check out the
    Park Tool web site. You may want to get help with the fork. While it is an easy task, if you cut the steering tube too short, you can easily convert your new fork into a very expensive paperweight.

Just my personal opinion.

FRC
    Last edited by FreeRangeChicken; 05-24-2005 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    sorry meant to say looking at Rock Shox Pilot , not Psylo. if i did buy new, i was thinking Fisher Tass since it's very affordable.

and oh yeah, i need new tires too... see why i can't shake the "buy a new bike and get all the new parts" feeling? i just also think my bike's worth it...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for quick replies! to address a couple:

-are there any lighter wheelsets (than Rhynolite) to be had for under 200? i know that's pretty cheap, but i gotta ask!. i weigh 180 lbs.

-i already have a single speed. it's a madwagon cruiser, VERY simple. picked up it on clearance at dick's last year for under 100 bucks. it's nothing special at all, but it has wheels, pedals, and effective v-brakes! i don't think they make this model anymore. it's great fun to ride down the bike path and around town. i'm lucky to live <1 mile from a ~17 mile paved bike trail.