1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

90mm front hubs?

Hello,

I'm looking to build a front wheel for a bike that has 90mm dropout spacing in the front fork (it's an older Schwinn). The existing hub has seen better days and besides, I thought it'd be fun to work with something a little more modern (I don't care for the old front hubs that don't have locknuts).

However, after a bit of searching, it's not looking like anyone is making front hubs in this size. I see Sturmey Archer has a drum brake hub and someone on ebay has some old Wald hubs ... anyone know of any other options for 90mm front hubs?

Thanks!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tough one. I don't know if that was ever standard. Schwinn manufactured enough volume to do whatever they felt like. They had some weird rim/tire sizes too.

Couple approaches.

You could cold set the fork to take 100 mm. Sheldon Brown had good articles on that sort of thing.

You could look for a hub with really thick jam nuts and substitute something thinner.

You could look for a sealed bearing front hub with dust caps and omit them.

Anything involving leaving out a part may run n you into trouble with the length of the axle.

Also browse the vintage/retro/classic forum and see what other people have done.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I hadn't noticed there was a vintage bike forum!

And thank you for the suggestions ... I'm a bit hesitant to cold-set the fork, but that would certainly multiply my options by a ton.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you don't want to try ,a shop might do it for you.