1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

8speed/9speed crankset question

I need to replace my crankset as two of the three chain rings are worn and its an old system.

I have a few questions however.

My bike currently has an 8 speed drivetrain, will a "9 speed" crankset work with the 8 speed system. I don't see why not as most of the movement is on the casset side and not up front, but I'm not sure.

Also, it is possible to replace "types" of BB's correct as long as they are the same size? My bike is old and currently has square taper, but most of the new systems use other BBs so I figured I'd replace it at the same time if possible.

Thanks in advance for any information.

~ Eric

mtbr member
    there is no such thing as a 8 or 9 speed specific crankset. you can use any three ring crankset. you should also plan on buying a new bottom bracket as well unless you get a new crankset that uses square taper bb's.

ride hard take risks
    I'll 2nd that!!

lurker no more
    If he's going to a 9 speed set up then what about shifters, does method need a new set? I know SRAM made 2005 x.7 triggers that were 8/9 speed and the x.9 triggers were 9 speed only. Would he need a new, longer chain too?

Quote Originally Posted by method
    I need to replace my crankset as two of the three chain rings are worn and its an old system.

I have a few questions however.

My bike currently has an 8 speed drivetrain, will a "9 speed" crankset work with the 8 speed system. I don't see why not as most of the movement is on the casset side and not up front, but I'm not sure.

Also, it is possible to replace "types" of BB's correct as long as they are the same size? My bike is old and currently has square taper, but most of the new systems use other BBs so I figured I'd replace it at the same time if possible.

Thanks in advance for any information.

~ Eric

ride hard take risks
    Very true Dr oreo, he will need a new 9 speed chain anyway.

I Love my Rize

Read The Quote

Quote Originally Posted by oreo
    If he's going to a 9 speed set up then what about shifters, does method need a new set? I know SRAM made 2005 x.7 triggers that were 8/9 speed and the x.9 triggers were 9 speed only. Would he need a new, longer chain too?

He said he is staying with a 8 speed system, just changing the cranks.