mtbr member
    Feb 2006

8 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub

Is it possible to install an 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub (if for eg remove one coq) so it can work with 8 speed pods? Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post
    Is it possible to install an 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub (if for eg remove one coq) so it can work with 8 speed pods? Thanks
    I could be wrong here, but I think the gear shift increments are the same for 7 and 8 speed cassettes so you should be able to run an 8 spd shifter with your 7 spd "cassette" with no issue. Just make sure your H and L limits are set properly and it should not let you shift that extra click.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    7, 8, 9, & 10 speed mtn cassettes all use the same free hub size.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
    7, 8, 9, & 10 speed mtn cassettes all use the same free hub size.
    Not correct, a true 7 speed cassette hub has a narrower freehub body and will not accommodate an 8, 9, or 10 speed cassette.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I could be wrong here, but I think the gear shift increments are the same for 7 and 8 speed cassettes so you should be able to run an 8 spd shifter with your 7 spd "cassette" with no issue. Just make sure your H and L limits are set properly and it should not let you shift that extra click.
    I've done this on several bikes as the spacing is very close to the same (though NOT identical as many will claim), the only thing is that if there are gear indicators you end up using 2-8 instead of 1-7...purely aesthetics though.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post
    Is there a reason that you want to do this? You could just use a 7 speed cassette, it's a bit cheaper, such as the SRAM PG-730.

You can also use a 9 speed cassette on a 7 speed hub with one cog removed. You need a 9 speed shifter and 9 speed chain. Set the derailleur limit and you can shift gears from #9 to #2 on the shifter. You get 8 gears on a 7 speed hub.

poser Administrator
    I just did this on my singlespeed converted back to geared bike kid hauler. I had to remove the smallest gear and throw a little spacer behind the cassette to get 7 gears tightly on the cassette body. I am using some Deore 8spd shifters and it works fine. It is an XT 7 spd hub.

7 spd cassette body is smaller than the 8/9/10 spd cassette body. 7spd spacing is larger than the 8spd shifting.
    Try this: HTFU

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    7 spd cassette body is smaller than the 8/9/10 spd cassette body. 7spd spacing is larger than the 8spd shifting.
    Yep...7 speed is 5mm center of cog to center of cog, 8 speed is 4.8mm.

The rear derailleur floating pulley upper pulley can compensate for this when using a 8 speed shifter on a 7 speed cassette (or visa versa, 7 speed shifters shifting on an 8 speed cassette with one gear removed).