1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

8,934th "Hi, I'm new here!" thread

Sup?

Just tested a 2005 Marin Eldridge Grade Hardtail, Deore XT components. Seems to be in pretty damn good condition. Took it out to the easier trails at Government Canyon (San Antonio) last weekend and had a blast.

Gave it a good cleaning and other than typical wear and tear it cleaned up pretty damn nice. And yes.....that is tire dressing on the tires, what can I say, I am a little anal about the appearance of my cars, I probably will be with the bike as well, but not to the point I'm going to avaoid the mud and dirt. Never been a fan of white cars, but IMO this looks sharp given that everything else is black.

Paid $250 from a guy that has several bikes and knows how to maintain them.

Governmant Canyon seems like a helluva nice place, if anyone wants to go riding out there, gimmie a shout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8,934th "Hi, I'm new here!" thread-bike-009.jpg  

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Keep that tire shine off your tread or you're gonna eat ****.

Gov't Canyon sounds good from what I hear. I may try and get down there with the g/f when she finishes her bike.

too cold to ride
    Tell your cat to get its own bike...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.