1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: 6' 4" 180

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

6' 4" 180

Do I need an XL bike?

mtbr member
    probably. depends though on what type of bike your buying and what brand.

mtbr member
    Have you looked on the 29er board? A lot of guys your height ride them and they can probably give you some details. Just something to consider.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    what is your inseam and forearm length?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm 6'3" at 150 pds and my bike is a xxl (specialized) The frame is a 21"er and handles a lot better than a 17" frame with the seat jacked up. Your best bet would be to go to your LBS and try them out because top tube length matters too if you're tall but have short arms for instance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I second going to to the LBS. I'm 6'3" 225 and I ride a large. I have a short inseam compared to others as tall as me. Bottom line you need to try some bikes and see what feels good to you.

It's about showing up.

Yes.

Unless your inseam and sleeve length are less than 35 it is a no brainer. Don't let some shop push you into a large if they don't have and XL to show you. Don't buy a large just because it is a good price.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    what are some other details?

e.g., type of riding? money ok to spend? hardtail? full suspension? etc...

i am only 6'2" and for other than bigger hit full suspension riding, i would highly recommend a 29er for you. It is funny how now 26" wheels just look flat out silly to me now and I look so cramped on one.

Not saying 29er are the best in all regard, just something I would highly recommend you look into for completeness.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4", 225 lbs., and I picked up a Specialized XL. I rode the Large, and while there was nothing wrong with it, I just felt a little cramped. The best bet is to go and get fitted correctly at your LBS. Good luck.
    Trying hard to get less fat...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 6'1 175lbs.
    I ride a large GF Marlin.
    Check out the GF genesis geometry bikes, they are a bit more stretched out.

The bike just feels right to me.

mtbr member
    you my friend could use a Hoss bike, check out Kona.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm 6'5", 170# and I recently got a Garry Fisher Cobia 29niner....works well for me and my size. I tried a Specialized Hardrock in the 23" frame and it felt cramped for me....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful.