1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

3 Bikes In 8 Months....

Hello Guys, my name is Alun and I've been MTB riding for around 8 months. I got into it to do a charity ride for Ty Hafan and I've really enjoyed it since. Unfort I have a massive OCD and I suppose I'm looking for some honest opinions. In 8 months I started with a Carrera Vulcan, sold it and bought a Specilized Hybrid and moved that on to buy my present bike; Sunn Wisdon S2 2011. I am focussing my fitness and efforts on trail riding and general XC. A few of my mates have advised me I'd have been better off buying a hardtail. Do you agree. I'm not as fit as I'd like to be and I'm really enjoying my time out (increasing my fitness) - taking into account I need a bit of an all rounder, is this bike giving me any disadvantages????? Cheers for your help / opinions.3 Bikes In 8 Months....-dscf6641.jpg3 Bikes In 8 Months....-dscf6642.jpg3 Bikes In 8 Months....-dscf6643.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It all depends on the types of trails you are riding. It's about 50/50 whether or not you go hardtail or fs. I know plenty of guys who will sacrifice the 2# and go fs with lockout options on both the front and rear shocks. This essentially gives them rigid, hardtail, and fs capabilities in one bike. On the other half you have some that want the lighter bike and have no desire to mess with the rear shock settings/lock out. So they go hardtail.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    From what I could find around the web, the Sunn looks like a competent entry level bike. But don't worry about the bike right now, focus on your fitness and riding skills. The important thing is that your out riding and enjoying it.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It has got the lock out options on both, so that's positive. Tyres are probably a bit overkill for what Im doing - Maxxis Minion Downhill on the front and a Hutchinson smaller one on the back - as you can see, I know exactly what I'm talking about

mtbr member

Re: 3 Bikes In 8 Months....

Tires are a good first upgrade that won't break the bank. Another thing to think about would be investing in some good clipless pedals and shoes.

Sent via Tapatalk now Free
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm half way there.... Just bought some shimano mtb shoes and looking at pedals. I will have a nose at the tyres. I bet it will make a difference. My Hybrid was like a rocket..... this bike (in comparison) is really pushing the wind out of my a$$e

mtbr member
    I started up again this year and after taking advice from friends, bought a hardtail.
    Fortunately l got it cheap, as l soon started having a bit more fun and realised that l would be better off with a FS.
    The hardtail was alright, and l guess in an ideal world you would have both.
    But after buying the FS l have not looked back, it is a bit heavier but l cannot say l noticed any difference to ride.
    The rear suspension can be locked out so it then effectively becomes a hardtail.
    Yes l know the geometry, weight etc is different. But all l can say is, it feels like my hardtail to ride when the rear shock is locked out, and on trails/descending the FS is great fun, l cannot feel any difference in the extra few Kg of weight or supposed geometry differences.
    And my body gets much less of a hammering! My friend said the hardtail would be more "flickable" and "active" but tbh l cannot say l found the FS to be much different in this respect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertoleach1 View Post
    I'm half way there.... Just bought some shimano mtb shoes and looking at pedals.
    I recently got a set of Shimano M780s as an upgrade/change from my (very) old steel trap TIME pedals, and I love those things. I have the tension set pretty light and clip in/out is almost effortless. So far have had no problems with them clogging with mud or small rocks like the older version SPDs used to be so bad about. The less expensive versions of the newer SPDs will work just as well as the XTs too.
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

mtbr member
    It depends (as has been said before) on the terrain you ride. In Utah, I'm considerably faster on the climbs on my FS, NOT locked out, than on my son's (same size) HT.

mtbr member
    idk much about the bike, but I can tell that you probably need to spend more time on the trails improving your skills than making multiple bike purchases.. if the bike isn't falling apart on you every ride, it should be good enough for you to ride your trails. the more you ride, the more you'll find out what you want.
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips