Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2x10 set up, what do i need?

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Billy_Heckler 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about doing a 2x10 setup sometime in the near future. Would this require buying a entirely new crank and cassette, or can I just take a third ring off my crank set and add more gears to my cassette?

*forgot to add that I have a 2010 Gary Fisher Advance.

#2 ·
James, you'll need the following: 10 speed shifters, 10 speed cassette, 10 speed chain, 10 speed rear derailleur. I would just stick to 9 speed until you buy a brand new bike equipped with 10-speed.

You cannot add another gear to your evenly spaced 9 speed cassette.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Didn't think it'll turn out to be that complicated. I guess I'll have to do more reading on my part. I like the way my bike is currently set up even though it is stock, but I almost never use the biggest ring on my crank set. I might as well keep riding till eventually the components wear out, then do a major components upgrade.

#11 ·
If you've thought about it at all you should. Adding a bash guard is safer for your legs and way more convenient on log-overs. My new bike had a 2x10 or 3x10 option on the build kit. I specifically went 3x10 to replace the big ring with a (real)bash guard. The available 2x10 specific bash guards are a joke IMO.

#13 ·
I think 2x9 is the better route for you. Just get different sized front rings and let go.

I have a 2x10, really one gear difference in the rear won't change much, save your money for other stuff.
Thanks Paulrb02, now i'm really thinking about just doing a 2x9 and taking out the larger ring for a bash guard. It's probably the most cost effective way to lose a little bit of weight and get rid of the large outter ring that i don't use. It just makes sense and i don't have to spend a lot. I appreciate all the info guys, the biking community in this forum is great, compared to car forums i've been in the past, you guys rock!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.