1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011

2x10 set up, what do i need?

I'm thinking about doing a 2x10 setup sometime in the near future. Would this require buying a entirely new crank and cassette, or can I just take a third ring off my crank set and add more gears to my cassette?

*forgot to add that I have a 2010 Gary Fisher Advance.

mtbr member
    James, you'll need the following: 10 speed shifters, 10 speed cassette, 10 speed chain, 10 speed rear derailleur. I would just stick to 9 speed until you buy a brand new bike equipped with 10-speed.

You cannot add another gear to your evenly spaced 9 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you get a 10 speed cassette you may need a 1mm spacer to between the cassette and hub. It all depends on what hub you are using. I know the Mavic hubs require the spacer when going from a 9 to 10 speed cassette.

Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info guys! Didn't think it'll turn out to be that complicated. I guess I'll have to do more reading on my part. I like the way my bike is currently set up even though it is stock, but I almost never use the biggest ring on my crank set. I might as well keep riding till eventually the components wear out, then do a major components upgrade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Why not just go 2x9 then? You'll have to decide whether you want to lose a little off the top or bottom but that should go a long way. Just change the chainrings and maybe the front D and I think you should be good.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Before SRAM claimed to invent 2x10 (like Al Gore inventing the internet...) people just took the large chain ring off their cranks. Get a bash guard to replace it. Be happy.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Before SRAM claimed to invent 2x10 (like Al Gore inventing the internet...) people just took the large chain ring off their cranks. Get a bash guard to replace it. Be happy.
    Al Gore?

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Would I still be able to use my stock front deraileur or am I going to need a new one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You still use the same deraileur. Just adjust it so it only changes up one gear instead of two.

If you cant do it your lbs will be able to adjust it in a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been considering going the 2x9 route and ditching the big ring since I never use it anyway

mtbr member
    If you've thought about it at all you should. Adding a bash guard is safer for your legs and way more convenient on log-overs. My new bike had a 2x10 or 3x10 option on the build kit. I specifically went 3x10 to replace the big ring with a (real)bash guard. The available 2x10 specific bash guards are a joke IMO.

I'm Slow
    I think 2x9 is the better route for you. Just get different sized front rings and let go.

I have a 2x10, really one gear difference in the rear won't change much, save your money for other stuff.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    I think 2x9 is the better route for you. Just get different sized front rings and let go.

I have a 2x10, really one gear difference in the rear won't change much, save your money for other stuff.
    Thanks Paulrb02, now i'm really thinking about just doing a 2x9 and taking out the larger ring for a bash guard. It's probably the most cost effective way to lose a little bit of weight and get rid of the large outter ring that i don't use. It just makes sense and i don't have to spend a lot. I appreciate all the info guys, the biking community in this forum is great, compared to car forums i've been in the past, you guys rock!.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    If you've thought about it at all you should. Adding a bash guard is safer for your legs and way more convenient on log-overs. My new bike had a 2x10 or 3x10 option on the build kit. I specifically went 3x10 to replace the big ring with a (real)bash guard. The available 2x10 specific bash guards are a joke IMO.
    That answers my question for my 2X10 setup...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My Heckler is a 2 x 9; and I love it.