1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

2x10 to 1x10, change chain ring bolts?

Hey All

Planning to convert my XT crankset 2x10 to 1 x10. Besides the chain ring, will I need new chain ring bolts to accommodate the single ring? THANKS

Appreciate yall time!

Sup
    option #1 you could use shorter bolts, steel if you can find them
    option #2 you can use a bash guard instead of the bigger ring
    option #3 my mrp chain guide came with spacers to take up the difference

personally I was not impressed with the quality of the mrp guide

good luck
    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you don't use a bash guard then you will need to use shorter chainring bolts. Actually, it is the nuts that need to be short.
    None of the stores around here seem to carry single ring bolts and nuts, I don't know how many times I've bought a little bag of bolts and when I've got home they are too long.
    I shorten the nuts using a belt sander and vice grips. As long as you get them short enough, the actual length is not critical.

mtbr member
    Another option if you plan to stay with a 1x10 setup and want a bashguard is to grind the teeth off of your outer chainring and make it into a bashguard if you have the patience to do it
    29" Tires looking to buy:

Schwalbe Big Apples
    Continental Travel Contact/Cruise Contact

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    He doesn't have an outer ring 2x10 is more like two middle rings

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1x10 itīs good

mtbr member
    A 2 ring set-up normally has a bash on it already. So spacers or shorter bolts will be what you'll need.