mtbr member
    Jan 2015

2nd hand or brand new full sus ?

I would like to go back biking but my friends were are starting to hit the trails. Apparently, this is what I want.. trail ride.

Now my question is , would I go 2nd hand with good specs or brand new bike with basic specs ? Considering I have 1000 - 1200 usd budget for a bike.

Another factor is, 26er are cheap compare to 27.5's.

My choice

Brand New

2016 GT Verb Expert - 27.5
    2017 Giant Stance - 27.5
    2015 Merida One Twenty 500 - 27.5

2nd hand

2013 GT Force 2 - 26er
    2012 Rocky Mountain MSL 70 - 26er
    2017 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt - 27.5 (1300 USD though)

Hope you can help me decide

mtbr member
    You don't want to go $1200 on a new full suspension. That is decent H/T money. Maybe you will find an ok used one at that price point. What kind of trails are you riding? If you go used then make sure someone looks it over for you before buying. Don't waste your money on a piece of junk. Could also ride what you got and save some more cash. There is also the Trek card which is interest free on most trek bikes for 1 year. If you have cash saved then offset with trek card could get on a pretty sweet bike. I believe they are doing a sale on 17 ex fs bikes. Just options.
    Good luck!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I already have HT by the way for long rides.

mtbr member
    Marin has a new FS for 1500.00 that's got good reviews, 2018 but can't recall the model.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Unfortunately, Marin is not that common in our area.

Choices are .. Giant / Merida / GT / Specialized / Trek

others.. very rare

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    onsidering I have 1000 - 1200 usd budget for a bike.
    With that budget, used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    With that budget, used.
    Agree... but most used dated from 2010 - 2012 bikes and mostly 26er. Would that be ok? assuming the bike looks good. Some battle scratches but overall, good bike.

since 4/10/2009
    Agree... but most used dated from 2010 - 2012 bikes and mostly 26er. Would that be ok? assuming the bike looks good. Some battle scratches but overall, good bike.
    depends. I wouldn't buy a bike at all if it wasn't in good working order. with a FS with a number of years on it and evidence of being well-ridden, I'm going to want some assurances on maintenance done. Particularly fork/shock maintenance. If the seller hasn't maintained them for years (or ever), then I'm going to take the cost of servicing those items into account (assuming paying someone else to do the labor, because I don't know what they'll look like when I dive in). And I'm going to insist on a few hundred off the asking price. It's EXTREMELY COMMON for many mtb owners to never service their suspension. And then they get angry when the fork/shock won't hold air or leaks oil all over the place...or when the fork lowers are so corroded that you can actually see the internals through the holes. So unless proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that the seller has not done maintenance to the bike they're selling unless I see brand new seals

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    depends. I wouldn't buy a bike at all if it wasn't in good working order. with a FS with a number of years on it and evidence of being well-ridden, I'm going to want some assurances on maintenance done. Particularly fork/shock maintenance. If the seller hasn't maintained them for years (or ever), then I'm going to take the cost of servicing those items into account (assuming paying someone else to do the labor, because I don't know what they'll look like when I dive in). And I'm going to insist on a few hundred off the asking price. It's EXTREMELY COMMON for many mtb owners to never service their suspension. And then they get angry when the fork/shock won't hold air or leaks oil all over the place...or when the fork lowers are so corroded that you can actually see the internals through the holes. So unless proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that the seller has not done maintenance to the bike they're selling unless I see brand new seals
    Thanks Harold.

What if I go to brand new bike and upgrade later.. wouldn't it be nice than buying 2nd hand with loaded specs but my need servicing in a year or two ?

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks Harold.

What if I go to brand new bike and upgrade later.. wouldn't it be nice than buying 2nd hand with loaded specs but my need servicing in a year or two ?
    If you want to spend money. Low end suspension like you find on $1000 fs bikes does not have good resale value. You will prob get a little bit for it, but it won't be huge. And good forks and shocks are expensive. Think in the neighborhood of $1,000 for just a good fork. It's FAR better to get a decent one to start with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would go used. I buy all my bikes used & you get so much more value for the $$. Maybe even start looking on ebay or pinkbike. Where are you located & what size do you need?

Also don't be put off by 26's I have a 26" ibis mojo hd & and a kona process 153 27.5. Can't tell the difference in wheel size, can tell the difference between great suspension & ok suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I've seen tons of great bikes(fs and ht) on craig's list in your price range but definitely gotta figure out what kind of riding you might be doing

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Also don't be put off by 26's I have a 26" ibis mojo hd & and a kona process 153 27.5. Can't tell the difference in wheel size, can tell the difference between great suspension & ok suspension.
    Agreed. I personally can't tell between 26 and 27.5. But yeah, DEFINITELY can tell between different grades of suspension.

My wife bought a used 26" FS about 4 years back. It's a 2010 model, and was owned by a lady who raced it for a couple seasons. Top notch bike. Carbon FS frame, good Fox suspension bits, full XTR. Paid $1800 for it, which included the shipping cost. It probably would have gone for $6,000-$7,000 retail. The seller did a great job of documenting all service done (including suspension service), as well as any defects (there's a pretty good gouge in the carbon in the chainstay near the rear axle, but it's been stable since my wife bought it). A couple years after she got it, we put a new wheelset on it - carbon hoops on I9 hubs. She still has it and loves the bike, but it's her 2nd bike now. It's definitely an xc bike (100mm FS), and her new one is a 140mm travel 27.5 trail bike.

I would definitely buy used again, as long as it was the right bike, and I could be assured that the seller was being 100% honest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank you for your input guys.. appreciate it.

I guess 2000 USD give or take is the most efficient price in buying 2nd hand FS.

Now, looking at our local online buy and sell in FB page.

almost same price range

Rocky Mountain Altitude 740 , 2015
    Specialized Stump Jumper 29 2016
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 2017 (least spec)
    Santa Cruz Super Light (I don't know the year)...

With these choices in same price range category, what would you pick ? Based on suspension technology / design.. etc...

I'm planning to use it in trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    personally, with all the used bikes out there, I don't see myself ever buying new.

since 4/10/2009
    You're going to have to figure out which bike you target. The SC Superlight is an older design, one of SC's earliest. It's a single pivot. The age of that bike is going to make a huge difference on whether it's worthwhile to consider or not.

But you're going to have to decide how much travel you want to target, and that's going to depend on your local trails and your riding style. There's a reason not everyone chooses the same bike to ride the same places.

For bikes made in the last few years, IMO, the rear suspension design (of quality bikes) matters a LOT less than it used to. There's been a ton of refinement by pretty much all manufacturers, and part of the improvement in overall suspension quality is due to improved shock technology and tunability. There are still differences in various suspension designs, but because the overall quality is so good, it's going to take pretty experienced AND picky riders to really tease out the differences and then develop preferences strong enough to affect a purchase decision. So for riders new to FS, I honestly don't think suspension design matters that much. What you should do is go for "overall quality" which should do very well for you.

You don't want to buy used a bike that was at the bottom end of FS bikes as it was. That doesn't make much sense, either. First thing I always start with is to identify the MSRP for the bike in question. That info is out there and a Google search away. Next is to identify any differences between stock components and what the seller is offering. Upgrades vs downgrades vs fit swaps (saddle, bars, stem, pedals, grips, etc) vs parts replaced due to wear (cables, chain, cogs, chainrings, tires, etc). The seller should ALWAYS have pictures of notable marks or defects (even if it's just cable rub). Always ask for additional pictures of specific things whether there is an issue or not. The seller's willingness to do that is a good indicator of potential problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The SC Superlight is an older design, one of SC's earliest. It's a single pivot.

I often hear negative or not so good things on single pivot suspensions. Care to shed a light with noobs like me ?

mtbr member
    So unless proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that the seller has not done maintenance to the bike they're selling unless I see brand new seals
    This is good advice but I'd go even further. If a full-sus is used in anger it takes a real beating. The suspension is the most critical as far as wear is concerned but there are lots of bits that have finite lifespans.

I'd say that yes, brand new offers poor value but what you want is a used bike in name only. A bike some dreamer has bought and ridden around the block three times before leaving it to gather cobwebs in the garage.

Also look for clearance bikes. End of the season, lots of bikes now last year's model with deep discounts. Take your time and you will find a nice deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

I'd say that yes, brand new offers poor value but what you want is a used bike in name only. A bike some dreamer has bought and ridden around the block three times before leaving it to gather cobwebs in the garage.
    Wow... I like that advice. Make sense

mtbr member
    Wow... I like that advice. Make sense
    I'll give you an example. Years ago a friend wanted to buy a bike to loose some weight. I found a Trek hardtail on Gumtree (same as Craigs List) that a guy had bought for his girlfriend. She had ridden it around the block and never touched it again, it was effectively brand new. Spec-wise it was equivalent to new bikes costing about £500 and my friend bought it for £200.

It gets better though. He didn't ride it either! Less than a year later he sold it for £100!!! Should've kept it, guy is as big a barn ;0)

Bargains are out there, let other people buy the trash.

since 4/10/2009
    I often hear negative or not so good things on single pivot suspensions. Care to shed a light with noobs like me ?
    The folks with negative opinions are most likely judging all single pivots based on older designs with crappy shocks. While the poor comments certainly applied in those cases, they're not necessarily true in all cases, especially when there's a quality modern shock involved. The nice thing about single pivots is that they tend to be lower maintenance because they have fewer pivots. The only negative I know that applies to just about all of them is that they are not the stiffest laterally, which is exacerbated by QR axles (I will never again buy a mtb without thru axles). Getting more detailed on other positives and negatives will depend on the specific bike, as it does with everything else.

I saw a guy rocking an older Superlight on the trails a couple weeks ago and was doing fine. Like I said, for a new rider, looking for "overall quality" is better than nitpicking on suspension design.

There are a lot of things I've developed strong opinions on over the years, but there's an incredible amount of grey area in rear suspension bikes. Every design is going to compromise on SOMETHING.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    With the bikes I mentioned, I think GT's IDRIVE suspension is a solid basis in buying 2nd hand old model ? Giant has maestro but in newer models I think. Well, as I've said. We don't have lots of access with brands here. So sometimes, we just buy what's available.

since 4/10/2009
    With the bikes I mentioned, I think GT's IDRIVE suspension is a solid basis in buying 2nd hand old model ? Giant has maestro but in newer models I think. Well, as I've said. We don't have lots of access with brands here. So sometimes, we just buy what's available.
    Depends on the age. In this case, the older versions of idrive were vastly different than current. Not that they were bad. Rather, you will be hard pressed to maintain it with parts. The company was under different ownership then.

Current version works fine afaik, but is too complicated for my tastes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The older versions of idrive were vastly different than current,... you will be hard pressed to maintain it with parts.
    I agree. I have a friend who bought one recently. The bike is mint and it was very cheap but I still would not buy one. He likes it but, apart from the bottom bracket parts being made of unobtainium, the 'Y-frame' frame design is virtually guaranteed to crack at the seat-tube.

turtles make me hot
    Krampus | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Have a look at a Krampus
    No suspension but you may not miss it at all I used to ride FS and swore never to ride without suspension again
    Since I started riding fat and plus, I really don't miss it

Please excuse my lack of punctuation My wife spilled tea on the computer and now the periods don't work
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    My wife spilled tea on the computer and now the periods don't work
    Try washing it under the tap then drying it on a radiator or in an airing cupboard. Unplug it first, obviously, but you'd be surprized how often electronics can be saved this way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My wife got a used Kona Process DL that was barely ridden for 1000.00.
    If you are a medium or large for most frames, the deals are out there. But youll have to look.

mtbr member
    Specialized Stump Jumper 29 2016

With these choices in same price range category, what would you pick ? Based on suspension technology / design.. etc...

I'm planning to use it in trails
    I have a 16 stumpy and it's been the most fun I've had on a bike! It comes with a 150mm RockShox Pike RC fork and Fox Float CTD auto sag rear shock. The bike feels playful on trail jumps and corners very smooth. You can set the rear shock to trail, uphill, or downhill which helps quite a bit. I tend to leave mine on the trail setting which gives me a blend of the other two settings.
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 650b Elite

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Try washing it under the tap then drying it on a radiator or in an airing cupboard. Unplug it first, obviously, but you'd be surprized how often electronics can be saved this way.
    I may give it a shot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I may give it a shot
    Years ago insurance companies used to just pay out if you spilled a drink in your laptop. They don't anymore because you can strip them down, scrub the motherboard under the tap and once dry it'll usually be fine.