mtbr member
    Jul 2013

29er bike selection

I'm looking at buying my first 29er, and I would really appreciate some expert input. The LBS has a new (assuming leftover 2010) Fuji Tahoe comp 29er. Price is right over $800. I know it would be better if I would've been able to list the components, but I neglected to write them down. Is that a fair price, or could I get something else in that price range that would be better.
    My current ride is a 2002 trek 6500 26er. Would it be better served upgrading the components on it, instead of a new bike. I ride some offroad, hard pack, and pavement.
    Thanks

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That model listed for $890, so $800 (or more) for a bike that is pushing fours years old (even if it is 'new') is not a great deal.

2010 Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp - BikePedia

The Airborne Guardian sells for $599 and has a similar specification:

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

If you can go up to $929, the Airborne Seeker is a great hardtail 29er for under $1,000:

Airborne Bicycles. Seeker

Look around at some other shops if you can that might have some better deals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Trek marlin. Good price for the entry level category.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't see this as a deal at all. The Seeker has tapered head tube 100mm travel on a lighter air fork. Bikes have progressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good looking bikes (airborne) for sure, but my issue is as above. I'd like something that has real decent components. Even though these are entry level, I'm looking, rather wanting something that could potentially be the first and last bike I buy. Again, I hope that's not too difficult within that price range. ~$800.
    Thanks!

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by shooked View Post
    Good looking bikes (airborne) for sure, but my issue is as above. I'd like something that has real decent components. Even though these are entry level, I'm looking, rather wanting something that could potentially be the first and last bike I buy. Again, I hope that's not too difficult within that price range. ~$800.
    Thanks!
    For some reason, I doubt it will be the last bike that you buy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I sort of thought that with my Trek 6500, but here we are. I'm trying to rehab a reconstructed ACL and biking is a whole lot easier on it than Jiu Jitsu.

I ride bikes
    I definitely think you could get something better for $800 used if you are patient.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does anyone think that a Gravity 29er or a Motobecane is a comparable bike to the Fuji Tahoe? Also, if the Fuji were let go for $750 (still 4 years old), would that be viable option, or still a no go?

So many choices. I ask about the Gravity because I had read another post where someone posted a link to a discounted bike e-store. The Gravity's I looked at were under $800.

Lastly, component wise what should I be looking at for entry to mid level bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Should've used search function before I asked that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The BD Gravity Point 1 has Alivio/Deore drive components which are an adequate level. Want to make them perform in a butter smooth way(not crisp) that will make you uninterested in upgrading?
    Use the Novara/Jagwire lined housing and slick stainless cable kit from REI for $19. Full length.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com
    The fork would need upgrading when you get to the point of riding trails.

I ride bikes

Fat-tired Roadie
    The 6500 was a nice bike. Does it fit you? For $800, you can probably do a pretty nice revision. It already had disc brakes by that year, didn't it?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It did not come with disc brakes. I ride it somewhat comfortably, but I do think its a tad too small. My knees do not hit handle bars, but to ride it comfortably I do not grip the handgrips. I think it's 17.5" and I'm almost 6ft. That is my only concern with refurbing it. It has all deore stuff on it now, the stock stuff it came with. If I did upgrade what parts should I replace these with that would be an enhancement? I would likely go with mechanical disc as well instead of hydraulic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Fat-tired Roadie
    Deore's a nice group and for $800, you're not doing better on a new bike. But swapping to disc brakes is expensive and a wrong-sized frame is a pretty real issue too. So I think going to a new bike, that ships with disc brakes, is probably the right idea.

Test riding is very valuable, IME. You don't want to get the wrong size again. Why not phone all your local shops, see if anyone does used or consignment, and ask about left over '12 bikes, or if the '13 bikes are hitting clearance yet. Labor day is behind us, '14 bikes are already coming out, and the bike-and-ski places are going to want to open up some square footage. So it's a good time to make your budget reach further.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cool deal. Buying a closeout is how I ended up with a bit smaller size. The old LBS suggested it (making room), indicating that it wouldn't be a problem. Now I know a bit better.

All you guys have been a great help. I really appreciate it.