1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

26er around $2500

Hi, Looking for a good 26er for around $25,000. Can anyone recommend some brands to test out? I was set on a 29er (Tallboy LT) but am thinking I really like the nimbleness of a 26er. I ride in central TX, with a lot of technical trails.

Suggestions?

I've been looking at Yeti and Sant Cruz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Giant Reign...best all around bike I have ever owned. the Reign 2 is $2300 and the Reign 1 is $2800.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hard to hit that pricepoint in a stock bike. You'd better get custom.

Custom everything.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andrwswitch View Post
    hard to hit that pricepoint in a stock bike. You'd better get custom.

Custom everything.
    lol.

EDIT: The Reign is a great bike. Borrowed a friend's Reign once and it soaked up everything I threw at it. It's a bit of a bear to pedal uphill but what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by moses5488 View Post
    Hi, Looking for a good 26er for around $25,000. Can anyone recommend some brands to test out? I was set on a 29er (Tallboy LT) but am thinking I really like the nimbleness of a 26er. I ride in central TX, with a lot of technical trails.

Suggestions?

Did you mean 2500 or 25000, huge difference. I would look at Pivot (any pivot) or a Santa Cruz Super Light

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by muffetmd View Post
    Did you mean 2500 or 25000, huge difference. I would look at Pivot (any pivot) or a Santa Cruz Super Light
    lols. If you're asking what brands with a budget of 25,000, you're going to be one spoiled beginner. I assume you are set on a FS. If you have a LBS, check them out and see what they carry, as its nice to be able to openly test out before you purchase. Santa Cruz, Yeti, Giant, etc. (basically all top end brands) they all have excellent bikes in that price range. And I actually also support the Pivot as previously mentioned. A LBS near me sells them and they are such beautiful bikes, along with Felts. I'm contemplating either one of those as my next FS all mountain bike. Good luck and ride the hell out of whatever you purchase. Let us know what you got!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    lols. If you're asking what brands with a budget of 25,000, you're going to be one spoiled beginner. I assume you are set on a FS. If you have a LBS, check them out and see what they carry, as its nice to be able to openly test out before you purchase. Santa Cruz, Yeti, Giant, etc. (basically all top end brands) they all have excellent bikes in that price range. And I actually also support the Pivot as previously mentioned. A LBS near me sells them and they are such beautiful bikes, along with Felts. I'm contemplating either one of those as my next FS all mountain bike. Good luck and ride the hell out of whatever you purchase. Let us know what you got!
    You must live in Cincinnati if a LBS near you carries pivot and felt (campus bike shop). Also I think that's a typo no one should have a budget of 25k on a bike hahah

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by muffetmd View Post
    You must live in Cincinnati if a LBS near you carries pivot and felt (campus bike shop). Also I think that's a typo no one should have a budget of 25k on a bike hahah
    Yup! You reside in the natti as well? I prefer Smitty's to Campus, but like Campus's bike lineup much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm from the nati as well but I prefer montgomery cyclery. Just picked up a 2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc from the Eastgate store LOVED it.

undercover brother
    Start a Cinci thread so we can stop hijacking this one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Start a Cinci thread so we can stop hijacking this one!
    Completely agree . But wow small world, and I prefer smittys to campus as well, I literally live within 200 yards of campus. We need to have a group ride this week(end). Where should we start a thread, the regional OH thread is awful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yup meant 2,500 not 25,000 haha.

Any recommendations of specific bikes ? Looking at yeti but not sure I like the single pivot with the bob. Haven't rode one yet. And insights?

undercover brother
    Posted in the Midwest - IL, OH... thread!

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    Giant Reign...best all around bike I have ever owned. the Reign 2 is $2300 and the Reign 1 is $2800.
    great bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would look at the specialized stumpjumper fsr. Surprisingly well at climbing and descending!

mtbr member

Ibis Special blend

Quote Originally Posted by moses5488 View Post

Suggestions?

Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend Build Bike > Complete Bikes > All-Mountain & Trail Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Pretty sweet bike for the price of $2750